Why become a member? ×

Duran Duran Rio

tiffen

Hi I have been practicing Rio, But it doesnt seem to be flowing right. I start off playing open E string then play the octave E x 2 (on the A-string) then play the D before playing the run up on the D string of G G" A before repeating. When I listen to the cd it sounds like there are more notes before you play the first D,
has anyone played this is the right notes or is it just a matter of timing to get it to sound better

cheers

[quote name='pjbass' post='198385' date='May 13 2008, 11:35 PM']Yeah definitely the ghost notes lilt the bassline.
I found this video helpful to learn from: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwwncfsPogw"]Rio[/url]
Its loads of fun to play[/quote]
I like his version... but after the "floating thumb" thread his right wrist position gives me the willies. Unless he learns to straighten it, he could be heading for some carpal tunnel problems... :)

I havent played ghost notes before, I know they are like a note not fully depressed but were do they go when playing the full notes and how many is used?
The youtube video does nt show you very clearly. Although the bloke did sound spot on

[quote name='pjbass' post='198385' date='May 13 2008, 11:35 PM']Yeah definitely the ghost notes lilt the bassline.
I found this video helpful to learn from: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwwncfsPogw"]Rio[/url]
Its loads of fun to play[/quote]

Oh that guy's great. He shows how to play loads of different classic bass lines ..

As an aside the Rio vid brings up asociated vids of John Taylor's bass solo bits from DD in concert with the audience yelling "Play that f;;;;;; bass John" great stuff.
Wouldn't it be nice if every crowd appreciated the bass player that much? (yeah I know, dream on) ..

Mind you in one he's playing the 25 or 6 to 4 riff from Chicago :)

[quote name='tiffen' post='198848' date='May 14 2008, 04:16 PM']I would appreciate a scan of the copy if u dont mind thanks[/quote]

Here you go matey. The right-hand edge is a bit blurry but I'm sure it'll be OK.

It's not a full start-to-end transcription, sorry, but it does cover the main sections and shows the all-important ghost notes.

Ex.1 is the main verse line; Ex.2 is the chorus; Ex.3 is the sax / breakdown

Hope this is helpful!

David