Why become a member? ×

Who loves the Quo, then?

seashell

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1355255501' post='1896073']
I used to like their stuff in the 70's.

But sadly they have turned into a cabaret act.
[/quote]
Yeah they did go through a really dodgy patch with their covers period but I think they're over that now, like I said check out Quid Pro Quo, it won't cost you owt on spotify

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1355255438' post='1896071']
Early Quo - unbeatable.
My old band covered Big Fat Mama on our first album - have a listen:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fETd7zJ7iH4[/media]

That's me in the glasses.
[/quote]

COOL!! my very fave Quo song.........your the one with????

Rockin all over the world is one of those iconic songs from when I first discovered music. I love Rossi and Parfitt, they have been a great double act on TV over the years in interviews etc.

I laughed out loud when I saw their album called 'In search of the fourth chord' - great tongue-in-cheek brit humour! A classic band!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1355165878' post='1894930']
Down Down has to be one of the greatest singles of all time by a British band . People think of Status Quo as a bit of an institution and a bit of joke nowadays , and have done for a long time , but around the mid to late seventies they were a massive cult band in Britain . They were the choice band of kids from council estates wearing Doc Martens and denim jackets with hair past their collar and ready for a ruck at the school disco . Yobbos had better taste in music back then , I suppose . Who could be cooler than Status Quo ? I'm off down the off licence to get 10 Embassy Regal and a bottle of cider so I can enjoy this properly .
[/quote]

:lol: see where you are coming from. I remember those days though we were strictly 10 Number 6 and a bottle of cider. Thing is, we were obviously under age but the woman in the offy used to give us a conspirational wink and always sold us whatever we wanted.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1355267856' post='1896276']
Three pages of love for the Quo! I really didn't think it would go on this long...I'm dead impressed! :D
[/quote]

Well.. these days I'm learning jazz and classical music on double bass.. but in my teenage years (early 90s) .. though deeply unfashionable, I discovered quo through a neighbour who gave me his Piledriver and On The level.. and Genesis Trick of the tail LPs (talk about opposites). I came to deeply love both of them! That early stuff is killer! I adore the Piledriver album, [mistakes] warts'n'all. Seeing this early footage in the thread is rekindling my interest and causing me to look at ebay for the classic line up tix. But... would it be a disappointment? Never seen'em live. They ain't getting any younger.

IMHO, Quo were good fun, and rocked out with the best of them in the 70s. Thereafter.. lets draw a veil. Otherwise, hats off to a British group that were all about being a good time guitar band. Three chords and the truth.

A lot of Quo love here!! :)

There's a New Year's Eve bash here in Horsham if anyone is local - [url="http://www.lemonrock.com/gig.php?id=261515"]http://www.lemonrock...g.php?id=261515[/url]

I'll buy you a pint and give you a Basschat Lanyard if you come!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyyRY8wsaQU[/media]

[quote]Forty Five Hundred Times - Nuff said[/quote]

He sang it actually :)

[quote]Before Punk all we had was Quo[/quote]

Completely agree - compare what they were doing and how "heavy" they were to contemporary bands. There was a lot of twee rubbish about while Quo were heads down blasting it out.

[quote]Rockin all over the world is one of those iconic songs[/quote]

Well yes but it's a John Fogerty Cover (from his first solo album that's very good) and marks the point at which they started digressing away form their own work and becoming much more commercial with their music and sound production and lost the really raw edge :(

[quote]Three pages of love for the Quo! I really didn't think it would go on this long...I'm dead impressed! [/quote]
It's amazing, all these years I've kept it quiet :D well that stops now after this - I'm digging my old t-shirts out :)

As someone mentioned earlier Quid Pro Quo (and Heavy Traffic) are the best albums they've done for years, I think mainly because they're back on a small label and can do whatever they want now (sounds like a song that :))

Who's going what days to Hammersmith then? We should have a BC meet up!

[quote name='Fender_Greg' timestamp='1355310077' post='1896627']
I was in a quo tribute act for 3 or 4 years called Just Supposin'

Was great fun! :)
[/quote]

Did you do a thing in Crewe about 3 years ago with a few other bands - including me in ZZ Eliminator - where none of us got properly paid !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I even managed to see Roy Wood into the bargain when I went to the last Quo show about a year ago. Good night out had by one and all. We all bang on about how we should be there to entertain the punters in our own bands but can get very protective about our heroes doing the same thing sometimes. I know it is a bit sad the way quo ended up being something of a cabaret act but they have to make a living and album sales aren't likely to do it any more.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355316048' post='1896772']
Did you do a thing in Crewe about 3 years ago with a few other bands - including me in ZZ Eliminator - where none of us got properly paid !!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

YES!! haha, we stayed around for you guys then left after i think. The owner was proper dodgey and was arrested for some fraud like a year later.

I think I've still got the flyer for that gig somewhere!

[quote name='Fender_Greg' timestamp='1355326689' post='1896969']
YES!! haha, we stayed around for you guys then left after i think. The owner was proper dodgey and was arrested for some fraud like a year later.

I think I've still got the flyer for that gig somewhere!
[/quote]

I have it too - it's on my pin board as we speak. Do you remember the 'Motorheadache' van pulling up and out jumped a Scottish 'Lemmy' who was only 4ft 2" ?!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1355269627' post='1896315']
Quo NEVER dissappoint live , they are the hardest working act out there , always on tour , but best of all playing good sounding theatres rather than the arenas . god love em , Quo are Rock and Roll ( a few naff bits excepted ;) )
[/quote]

Anyone who was at the outdoor Liverpool gig this year would think "you've got to love gigging to play in this". Torrential rain, howling gale and the stage facing into the wind. I was surprised they stayed on for 15 minutes let alone 75 :lol:

They were the first proper gig I went to - Crystal Palace in '84, cos a mate was a huge fan. And he then got me along to the Marquee in the week leading up to Live Aid, because John Coghlan's band were playing, and Alan Lancaster and Rick Parfitt turned up for a couple of numbers so as to "practise" for Live Aid. Happy times.

[media]http://youtu.be/bw2LVjdVLFQ[/media]

Always loved this song, Roadhouse blues. Think our end of the night rendition had to be about 10+mins long but that was dwarfed by 4500 times....think that got a bit out of hand at around 17mins long! Can't say it never went down with the hardcore quo fans tho! :D

I'm feeling a bit p*ssed off at the moment. Saw the tickets go on sale for the Rossi, Parfitt, Lancaster, Coghlan gigs and thought naaahhhh. I didn't want to ruin the memories of watching the first band I ever saw live (1979 - Manchester Apollo) and, for me at the time, the best live act in the world - up until the 'End of the Road' gigs in 1984. Then it all went a bit pear shaped. Saw them in '86 supporting Queen then again in the early 90's with the cabaret line-up. The memories of those early gigs are just too precious. I also thought that i'd moved on musically. Now you lot have re-kindled something that I thought had gone forever. Bast*rds. I so want to go! Arrrggghhhh! Thank You.