Why become a member? ×

Is it mental!?!?

Bassulike66

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1355148075' post='1894589']
I wouldn't say so. They could be set up for two different tunings, or perhaps with different string gauges to suit different styles..
[/quote]

+1. If one bass is strung with flats and the other with rounds, this would render two otherwise identical basses to be different, tonewise.

But the OP said [i]identical [/i]basses. So they would have to be strung exactly the same.
If you gig a lot you could conceivably have one as a backup... otherwise it [i]is[/i] mental, imho. :)

Edit: Or, if you have two favourite colour schemes and have to have two basses because you can't choose between them... but that would be extremely decadent, wouldn't it?

Edited by discreet

Well I have two Oly White Precisions, with tort pickguard and rosewood fretboards. One is USA, the other is CIJ. But essentially they are the same bass. I just figure I only like one sound when playing, so it makes sense to have a backup of that sound. Having a Jazz or Stingray wouldn`t be much use to me if my Precision develops a fault or needs to go to the luthier for any work.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1355152645' post='1894675']
Dangerous territory. You could lose one and never find out.
[/quote]but on the other hand those that have to sneak new purchases into the house without being caught by partners will have an easier time.