Why become a member? ×

CD verses Vinyl

PaulWarning

Thats that. Science dictates. My linn sondek is in the bin and my local acoustician is coming around tomorrow to treat my normal living room for xmas. A few bass traps here and there will surely be to the Mrs. liking and that leather three piece never sounded right. Might have to re-plaster (Unevenly of course) the walls with the hair of a camel , and mount my house on spikes for isolation purposes, but so be it. After all, its what any decent Hi Fi buff living in the real world should do. Now I am chucking away the entire Zeppelin and Beatles catalogue on vinyl (original pressings of course) so if there are any takers, just call around to my place you can have the lot.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1356076737' post='1906415']
Thats that. Science dictates. [b]My linn sondek is in the bin [/b]and my local acoustician is coming around tomorrow to treat my normal living room for xmas. A few bass traps here and there will surely be to the Mrs. liking and that leather three piece never sounded right. Might have to re-plaster (Unevenly of course) the walls with the hair of a camel , and mount my house on spikes for isolation purposes, but so be it. After all, its what any decent Hi Fi buff living in the real world should do. Now I am chucking away the entire Zeppelin and Beatles catalogue on vinyl (original pressings of course) so if there are any takers, just call around to my place you can have the lot.
[/quote]

Very wise :P ;)
You'll also need at least [url=http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/machinadynamica2/ib.html]One Of These[/url] - it's Quantum!

just[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1356077327' post='1906427']
Very wise :P ;)
You'll also need at least [url="http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/machinadynamica2/ib.html"]One Of These[/url] - it's Quantum!
[/quote]
My Acoustician is just coming in the door. I will run it by him for his approval ;)

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1356107763' post='1907002']
...it sounds like those dodgy Portuguese pressings of Thin Lizzy albums i used to buy in the 70's....
[/quote]

I had a few dodgy Greek pressings of Deep Purple albums from the same era . Ah , the joys of discount record shops...

Oh yes, brings plenty of memories back that one. Some of my first forays into record buying were at Bostocks Records. They had little units in covered makets in Bradford and Huddersfield. Usually Greek 'imports' of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and the like. Great dirty slabs of vinyl with, if you were lucky, the hole correctly centred. They appeared quite indestructible and were listenable to if you weren't much of a hi fi buff. Which we weren't, it was all 'radiograms' in those days and I had to wear headphones like a couple of half melons with a curly lead to avoid annoying anyone else in the room.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1356118621' post='1907211']
Oh yes, brings plenty of memories back that one. Some of my first forays into record buying were at Bostocks Records. They had little units in covered makets in Bradford and Huddersfield. Usually Greek 'imports' of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and the like. Great dirty slabs of vinyl with, if you were lucky, the hole correctly centred. They appeared quite indestructible and were listenable to if you weren't much of a hi fi buff. Which we weren't, it was all 'radiograms' in those days and I had to wear headphones like a couple of half melons with a curly lead to avoid annoying anyone else in the room.
[/quote]
Bloody radiograms. Dependant on valve technology. Thank god for solid state. Dont get me started!

I used to have a pair of Lumley Reference 120W valve monoblocks. Sounded excellent!
But you had to wait 20 minutes before use for them to warm up, and 20 minutes after use to warm down before switching off. And I'd have to send them to Tunbridge Wells once a year for servicing...
My Bryston has a 20 year guarantee.
I still use a valve phono stage though - much more reliable due to less stress on the valves.
However, many strange and bloody-minded audiophiles swear by flea-powered 5W single ended triode amps; weirdos, only sounds any good with twee, breathy girly singer-songwriter nonsense played quietly

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1356167095' post='1907505']
I used to have a pair of Lumley Reference 120W valve monoblocks. Sounded excellent!
But you had to wait 20 minutes before use for them to warm up, and 20 minutes after use to warm down before switching off. And I'd have to send them to Tunbridge Wells once a year for servicing...
My Bryston has a 20 year guarantee.
I still use a valve phono stage though - much more reliable due to less stress on the valves.
However, many strange and bloody-minded audiophiles swear by flea-powered 5W single ended triode amps; weirdos, only sounds any good with twee, breathy girly singer-songwriter nonsense played quietly
[/quote]
I have absolutely no idea what any of that means, but it sounds weirdly thrilling. I'm imagining a kind of 'Dr Phibes' style lab with an ancient, steampunk turntable in the middle, connected to a massive generator. And on the turntable is a Japanese, audiophile copy of 'Deep Purple In Rock'...

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1356170644' post='1907543']
I have absolutely no idea what any of that means, but it sounds weirdly thrilling. I'm imagining a kind of 'Dr Phibes' style lab with an ancient, steampunk turntable in the middle, connected to a massive generator. And on the turntable is a Japanese, audiophile copy of 'Deep Purple In Rock'...
[/quote]

Japanese audiophile pressing of James Blood Ulmer, perhaps!
They looked a bit like this - can't actually find a pic of the Lumleys, but similar except the body was chrome, and the transformers and smoothing capacitors were also chrome covered. And being monoblocks, there were 2 of them:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1356175361' post='1907610']
Japanese audiophile pressing of James Blood Ulmer, perhaps!
They looked a bit like this - can't actually find a pic of the Lumleys, but similar except the body was chrome, and the transformers and smoothing capacitors were also chrome covered. And being monoblocks, there were 2 of them:

[/quote]OOOOH Sir!!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1356194385' post='1907829']
Almost:

[/quote]
Sexy looking turntable, but does it not belong in the rubbish bin along with my linn sondek?. ;) To do otherwise is simply not in the interest of Science (Out of curiosity what brand of turntable is it)

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1356194385' post='1907829']
Almost:

[/quote]Love it. I'm thinking of getting a new/old turntable and have been looking at decks fitted with SME 3009's. What cartrige, phono stage (if any etc are you using?
Is that a Clearaudio?

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1356196422' post='1907881']
Sexy looking turntable, but does it not belong in the rubbish bin along with my linn sondek?. ;) To do otherwise is simply not in the interest of Science (Out of curiosity what brand of turntable is it)
[/quote]

Heh, oh give over :D

If you like your gramophone you don't have to put it in the bin, consider it an heirloom or something, a bit like an ear trumpet ;)