Why become a member? ×

Not the band for me???

bubinga5

Blimey i never posted this often before , im in a bit of a dillema.... im in a band at the moment that play rock blues (think allman bro's, beatles, zep etc) although i like this sort of stuff, it really is not me, without wanting to name drop i like stuff, like Incognito, Meshell Ndegeocello, Earth wind and Fire, Prince etc..I know playing different styles is great for my overall playing, but i never really get to play how i want to...or maybe its that i dont like the style he wants me to play in?? Maybe i should be flattered these guys chose me to be the bassist (they had quite a few auditions) both guys have got 20+ years under there belt so i feel like bit of an idiot for moaning

I know its good experience, but im just not feeling there groove.
What do you guys/girls think

I'd say be careful..... I was in the same boat..... Playing in a band which is similar to Train, Hootie, 5 for fighting etc..... but I lurve the funk.... so ended up starting a funk band to cure my cravings..... I also play in a very successful function band..... so now I'm in 3 bands.... work full time.... have 3 kids and a missus.... Time is very tight. Think it through before you make any rash decisions

hi i am in a pub/club band at the moment that plays rock from 60's to the 80's and it is not my thing either i am more into chic and other disco funk but i am learning to funk up the rock songs a bit and i have also joined a disco band.
The rock band pays quite well and helps me appreciate the disco that little bit more

all the best

Personally, i don't understand this, being in several bands thing. My band takes up enough time/effort/money as it is.
With regards to your situation, if it doesn't feel right, i would move on IMO, because that itch is only going to get bigger. Better move on early, rather than dropping your fellow band members in it further down the road. It sounds as if you are having to play a certain way, which obviously you can, but isn't really you. For me that would = less satisfaction.

Edited by Tee

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='197972' date='May 13 2008, 02:06 PM']How long you been with them?[/quote]About 7 months Sarah..I might also add that the songs are all original, but all seem to be from the same era, (dont get me wrong i love the 70's)..
It gets quite tiresome when we jam and the other two guys start singing beatles songs for half an hour

Thanks girls/guys

Edited by bubinga5

Talk to them about how you're not happy, if you reach the decision that you should leave, at least you arn't dropping them in it, and you can help find a new bassist for the band and still get gigs in the meantime (until they find a new bassist and get him/her up to scratch).
At least then the split shouldn't have any bad mojo behind it.

But if you're not happy with actually performing that stuff, don't stick, you'll just end up resenting it.

[quote name='Tee' post='197986' date='May 13 2008, 02:18 PM']Personally, i don't understand this, being in several bands thing. My band takes up enough time/effort/money as it is.[/quote]

I agree whitcha. I find it "hard" enough to write basslines, keep improving them and keep them the way I want them for 10-15 songs. Anymore than that I'd want to practice all afternoon, every afternoon, and really aint got the time.

If I didn't like the genre or the music I was playing I'd bail out quick too. I'd just feel too guilty not being able to give it the full gun, wasting my time and everyone else's.

That's not to say I don't see why people play music they're not really that into though - the radio needs to be filled with dross :)

I'm in a band that plays soul / 60s stuff. The singer's into rock, the guitarist is into REM, the drummer is into habitually letting the rest of the band down and I like Steely Dan. It's all about compromises / common ground etc and if you need the money, what pays.

I'd stay put and keep your eye open for the opportunity to play what you really want to play.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='197998' date='May 13 2008, 02:35 PM']It gets quite tiresome when we jam and the other two guys start singing beatles songs for half an hour[/quote]

Flee!

Run away!

Edited by bremen

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='198023' date='May 13 2008, 02:57 PM']are you getting paid work with them?[/quote]
No John, but the band leader is intent on making money from it pretty soon, and ive got to be honest, he prob will, because the music is V good!

talk to them, tell them how you feel. it's alway better to part company on good terms and i'm sure if you tell them why you fancy moving on they'll repect that.

as for being in more than one band...play with as many people as you can if you have the time.

If your time is tight and you can only manage one band then I reckon look for something else as life is too short - but speak to the guys first and let them know your concerns. If they value you as a person and a player then they won't want to lose you.

However, if you can I would try and play with as many people as possible. As well as meeting and learning from other musicians you are making connections and networking. You never know you might get a call from one of them in the future.

Is it a three piece? From what you say, I'm guessing you on bass, a tuitarist doing the main vox and a drummer who also provides BV's (you mention a couple of guys and this is a common rock line up).

The reason I ask is that the artists you mention as your influences tend to work with bigger bands, often including keys, brass sections and the like. You're not going to pull off something like Earth, Wind and Fire note for note with a three-piece rock line-up (although you might manage an excellent reworking).

The factors I would be thinking about are:

How well do I get on with the other band members?

Do I have some freedom to influence what is played?

If you always feel like the odd one out and every note has to be played the way they say so, then an early exit would probably be a good move. If you feel like they are friends and there is room to bring some of your own flavours and influences to bear, it might be worth hanging on a bit more.

Wulf

+1 to those who have posted (above) that you should talk to the other guys first. That's got to be the obvious start-point.

A set-list that sounds like it's from 1966-72 can still include a bit of funk, and loads of soul.

Failing which, don't forget what Stephen Stills said (I'm keeping in period, OK?):

[i]If you can't be with the one you love, then love the one you're with.[/i]

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='198033' date='May 13 2008, 03:12 PM']I'm in a band that plays soul / 60s stuff. The singer's into rock, the guitarist is into REM, the drummer is into habitually letting the rest of the band down and I like Steely Dan. It's all about compromises / common ground etc and if you need the money, what pays.

I'd stay put and keep your eye open for the opportunity to play what you really want to play.[/quote]

+1.

Definitely the way to play it IME. :) :huh:

Heard any of the stuff from Becker's "Circus Money" yet?

Nowt wrong with the old "2 bands" thing.
I'm in a rock blues covers band and an originals band. Both scratch different itches, and don't want to drop either, or say that one is more important than the other. Just different.

However, I enjoy both. If I didn't enjoy one, then I'd move on.

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='198234' date='May 13 2008, 08:28 PM']Nowt wrong with the old "2 bands" thing.
I'm in a rock blues covers band and an originals band. Both scratch different itches, and don't want to drop either, or say that one is more important than the other. Just different.

However, I enjoy both. If I didn't enjoy one, then I'd move on.[/quote]

+ 1

I am in a soul/funk function band but have joined a rock band as well to have some contrast to my playing

[quote name='bubinga5' post='197966' date='May 13 2008, 02:00 PM']Blimey i never posted this often before , im in a bit of a dillema.... im in a band at the moment that play rock blues (think allman bro's, beatles, zep etc) although i like this sort of stuff, it really is not me, without wanting to name drop i like stuff, like Incognito, Meshell Ndegeocello, Earth wind and Fire, Prince etc..I know playing different styles is great for my overall playing, but i never really get to play how i want to...or maybe its that i dont like the style he wants me to play in?? Maybe i should be flattered these guys chose me to be the bassist (they had quite a few auditions) both guys have got 20+ years under there belt so i feel like bit of an idiot for moaning

I know its good experience, but im just not feeling there groove.
What do you guys/girls think[/quote]

Continue in this band and definitely start your own funk band. Once you're running your own band that plays exactly the stuff you want, you can sit at a blues jam and enjoy watching the two guitarists who can play rhythm spit licks at each other without feeling the need to do anything impressive. Well, tolerate is probably a better word than enjoy.

I'm in 3 diff bands now, a tribute and 2 originals (one is very occasional though). Although the tribute bands style is related to my own is softer, more mainstream and technically cheesy at times but I do love playing it live. I find it hard at times being as enthusiastic about it as the "fans" do because I only really know the songs that we play but I wouldn't change it for anything. If I were you I'd look to join/start a more relevant band but stick with these guys for now if only for the craic.