Why become a member? ×

Which Ampeg????

KevinJazzBass

Hey everyone.
I'm currently downsizing my amp and i wondered if any of you could help me. I want one of these amplifiers but im having difficulty choosing which one. For a start theyre both the same price which is £533 on Dolphin music. I know i want an ampeg combo with a 15" speaker which i can use for gigs, rehearsals and even bedroom practise (volume on 1 or 2 or even use the headphone outputs).

For quite a while i have been set on getting this amp

Ampeg BA115HPT

* Built-in Tuner
* Mute Switch
* CD Input
* Headphone Output

Specifications:

* RMS Power Output: 220-Watts
* LF Driver: 1 x 15" Speaker
* HF Driver: 1" Compression Driver with Level
* Preamp: Tube (1 x 12AU7)
* Power Amp: Solid-State
* Tone Controls: 3-Band EQ
* Mid Tone Control: Style
* Balanced Line Out: Yes
* Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 21 x 21 x 16
* Weight: 80 Pounds

However i have recently noticed i can get this amp for the same price and has a very similar spec + a great vintage vibe.

Ampeg B200R

* Tube Preamp, Solid-State Power Amp
* 220-Watts RMS
* Custom Designed 15” Eminence Speaker
* Headphone Output

Specifications:

* Preamp: Tube (1 x 12AU7)
* Power Amp: Solid-State
* RMS Power Output: 220-Watts
* Component 1: Custom Designed 15” Eminence Speaker
* Tone Controls: 4-Band EQ
* Mid Tone Control: Ultra Mid
* Balanced Line Out: Yes with Level Control
* Headphone Output: Yes
* Dimensions (H x W x D inches): 22.25 x 22.25 x 14.25
* Weight: 69 pounds

There are not many differences at all but has anyone ever used either of these amps and if so would you reccomend them. Also does anyone know the main difference between a Custom Designed 15” Eminence Speaker and an ordinary 1x15" speaker.

Thanks

Kevin

No idea about the speakers but I have the BA115HP (not the T which has a tube preamp) and it's a great amp. I have tried the T version and I struggled to make out the difference between the tube preamp and the non-tube preamp. Might save you a few pennies?

It can get a great approximation of the Ampeg sound although isn't majorly loud on it's own. I use this amp when travelling to venues with good PA support and it handles the situations well. I've used it at The Cavern, Bull and Gate, Dublin Castle etc all with no problems.

The top one comes with casters and side handles. I don't think the bottom one does. They're both heavy so the handles and wheels are very useful. Remember the 200R does not have a horn, whereas the HP115 does (the variable attenuator is at the rear) so assuming you use it, you sound maybe quite different.

I would imagine at all depends on whether you need the vintage vibe or not.