Why become a member? ×

Outdoor setup help

lowhand_mike

i'm in need of a little setup help or recommendations for getting a reasonable sound for an upcoming gig.
Firstly we are setting up outside a pub (as the pub is too small to get everyone in)
secondly the "stage" we will be on is going to be a curtain side trailer so we are obviously going to be fairly high up.
now i only have a 2x10 combo and am a little worried about the bass just disappearing into the air. Would it be wise for me to get my hands on an extension cab of some sort and if so what type, another 2x10, or 4x10, or a 15?
There has been talk of the trailer being setup in such a way that we face the outside of the pub, would this help at all?
any help on getting a reasonable setup would be great or even how we should go about getting a reasonable sound. we do have quite a good PA but our current desk only has 6 inputs but our guitarist does have a 16 channel desk but he is lothe to use it "cos it's his baby".

ok over to you guys who know about these things

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='Super_Mario_Bass' post='197870' date='May 13 2008, 12:11 PM']you got power? just taking notice of you sig lol =p

i played a gig ouside in a big field with only my hartke A70 against some beefy saxophones and i was heard, i think you'l be alright.[/quote]
:) i would hope so, just as long as it isn't just 1 extension lead powering the whole thing, that could be interesting.

I'd recommend borrowing another cab to go under your combo if possible. I think anything would help ie 1x15, 2x12, 2x10, 4x10 - any would help I reckon as most bass cabs are tuned to be fairly deep. I also don't understand why your guitard is being precious about his desk - an outdoor summer gig is a great event and should be treated as such (IMHO).

Edited by Adrenochrome

well, yeah ideally thats what we would like to do it's just convincing the guitarist. it was just if there are any experience bits of advice that would help.

the other thing i was worrying about is just how much of the low end am i going to loose as the back of the "stage" will be the other 'curtain' on the trailer

i suppose one bit of advice would be to not get too drunk and fall off the trailer :)