Why become a member? ×

first fretless recommendations?

Smythe

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1355043084' post='1893172']
I really like yamaha basses, they are amngst the most playable i have tried. I have a Yamaha TRB1005J and its the best 5 string ive ever played. Its a shame they dont pay more attention to electronics they would be the complete bass brand otherwise...
[/quote]
Interesting that you said that. I had a really nice TRB1005, I thought it sounded great but it never seemed to have the sound I wanted on a specific recording so I sold it as it was only rarely used. ,
low and clear a bit like Bartolini's but they should also offer another PU option.
Note: I know that If I still had it it would be unused but I still miss it :(

Edited by Pinball

The 1005's are supposedly a better sound than the 1005J's from what read. i always thought my Yamaha with stock electronics sounded characterless and harsh. soI recently switched out the preamp for a glockenklang. its tone is much more superior now. Im waiting on a bartolini buffer to add to it as glocks are a pretty quiet preamp.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1354991317' post='1892772']
I got one off gumtree for £20 because the guy had "spun" a pot. Very underrated instruments, which makes them a bargain. I would be interested in a more upmarket Yamaha!
[/quote]

I've got a de-fretted RBX, great instrument for the prices you can get them for.

1st fretless was; and is, an Aria Pro II 6-string. The one I got afterwards for playing at home (6-string is for my main band) I got off of here for little over £100.
It's an "Infinity" 5-string. They sell on Ebay, some oddball brand, has no serial number etc but I tell you what it's even better than my Aria is.
Unlined, resonates perfectly, action is flat all along the board about 3mm above and all notes come out perfectly. Tuners etc won't last but swapping them will be easy. EMG style soap bars.
Not sure if they do a 4-string but I'd give em a Google search. :-)

Edited by Kongo

I'm going to do you a real favour here.

Forget the aforementioned options and vist Jon letts website. He currently has an outstanding four string fretless for sale (brand new stock) at an insane £400 including a hard case.

If you havent heard of Letts basses then you are missing a trick....every bass is hand built to an exceptional standard.

Why opt for mass produced when you can snap up a luthier hand made piece of master craftmanship. Letts fretless basses sound wonderful.

Thanks for the advice White Cloud, it looks and sounds a really nice bass, but it was out of my price range. I managed to land myself a Vintage V940FL (see attached file) on Ebay the other day and I've just picked it up. A bargain comfortably under £200. Im impressed with it and it looks and sounds a lot better than the Squier. The guy i bought it off ironically had the Squier VMJ fretless for sale too and i compared them at his house... and I'm glad i chose this!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1355524073' post='1899716']
I'm going to do you a real favour here.

Forget the aforementioned options and vist Jon letts website. He currently has an outstanding four string fretless for sale (brand new stock) at an insane £400 including a hard case.

If you havent heard of Letts basses then you are missing a trick....every bass is hand built to an exceptional standard.

Why opt for mass produced when you can snap up a luthier hand made piece of master craftmanship. Letts fretless basses sound wonderful.
[/quote]

You did me a favour there! Ive been looking (and bidding) on some squier VM fretless but these look amazing. Has anyone tried/got one? Are the pups beefy enough? Im thinking of saving up some more gig dosh a little longer now.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1355644388' post='1900783']
You did me a favour there! Ive been looking (and bidding) on some squier VM fretless but these look amazing. Has anyone tried/got one? Are the pups beefy enough? Im thinking of saving up some more gig dosh a little longer now.
[/quote]

Honestly, give Jon a call and speak to him. The stuff he is producing is of an amazingly high quality. Every pickup he uses is hand made by his good self. He is based in Leicester...and has a nasty habit of (for him) of underpricing his beautiful basses!

Oh I should also add that if I still played 4 string I would have snapped up the Letts fretless weeks ago. I am currently saving up for a commisioned 5 string single cut!

Edited by White Cloud

i splashed out a lot of dough in the 80s on a new westone thunder 3,it was all neck and a short top horn meaning the neck is miles away on the strap,so something with a decent size top horn to bring the neck under you is the job.also something that sounds nice unplugged

just spotted you got one doh!...enjoy

Edited by jazzmanb