Why become a member? ×

lowballing .. definition and .. is it insulting ?

hamfist

Anyway, can we leave out the cancer and shootings and get back on the thread topic? Anyone wanting to discuss those aforemntioned topics is welcome to open up another, thread, though f*** knows what they have to do with bass and accepting/refusing offers on kit you're selling!

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1355838256' post='1903372']
An opinion is just that and everyone is entitled to one.
[/quote]

That's an interesting point.

Is someone entitled to believe the world is flat? It's harmless enough, I suppose, but says a lot about the person holding such an opinion.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1355839202' post='1903405']

Is someone entitled to believe the world is flat? It's harmless enough, I suppose, but says a lot about the person holding such an opinion.
[/quote]

I.m with you on that one, but what's it got to do with lowballing?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1355839202' post='1903405']

[/quote]

It also said a lot about the guy offering me £500 for the Rick!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1355840069' post='1903436']
Yes, but you seem to be under the (mistaken) opinion that all opinions should be respected. I was pointing out that thats not true ;)
[/quote]

Ok, how about respecting my right to have the opinion that £500 on a 1973 4001 was a low-ball offer? I think that opinion should be respected, given that someone eventually bought the bass for close to the asking price.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1355840267' post='1903444']
Ok, how about respecting my right to have the opinion that £500 on a 1973 4001 was a low-ball offer? I think that opinion should be respected, given that someone eventually bought the bass for close to the asking price.
[/quote]

Yes, you are probably right that that was a "lowball" offer.

But if you genuinely got upset about it then you probably shouldn't watch the news or read the papers, because you'll be in for an emotional rollercoaster...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1355840531' post='1903454']
Yes, you are probably right that that was a "lowball" offer.

But if you genuinely got upset about it then you probably shouldn't watch the news or read the papers, because you'll be in for an emotional rollercoaster...
[/quote]
If you can get that notion through better than I did your a better man than me :lol:

[quote name='AussieBassman' timestamp='1355842594' post='1903500']
'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so f***ing what?' —Stephen Fry
[/quote]

I think that's the third time I've seen that quote in this thread alone. Will someone please make a Nazi comparison so this thread can die in the proper Internet forum manner? ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1355841384' post='1903473']

[/quote]

HAHA! normally, "Noah fence" is followed by some of the most offensive things that have ever been said to you, but because of the rules, you just have to smile :)

It's the same thing as on Jeremy Kyle when somebody says "I'm not a racist, yeah? but...*Insert small minded racist comment*".

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1355842931' post='1903513']
I think that's the third time I've seen that quote in this thread alone. Will someone please make a Nazi comparison so this thread can die in the proper Internet forum manner? ;)
[/quote]

Oh apologies, i have taken it upon myself to be the Nazi comment guy.

Being offended by a different point of view makes you no better than a Nazi.

Will that do?

At no one in particular; opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

The thing is with lowball offers, if someone is desperate to sell, and you're the only offerer (?), you might well bag a bargain. You don't ask, you don't get, right? You might not get anyway but then go to the top of the thread.

Edited by Steve G

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1355843753' post='1903540']
If I have to respect the opinion that a low ball offer is offensive, don't I also have to respect the opinion of the low-ball-offerer? So his offer is both to be respected, and offensive?
[/quote]

We need Rowan Atkinson to show us how that would look with a facial expression.