Why become a member? ×

BC's new classifieds section - your opinions please

ped

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1354639772' post='1888556']
How much money do you need to raise?
[/quote]

How long is a piece of string? Obviously as this is a business and something Steve and I want to develop we're looking at what's fair.

classified adds are just that! . . . the market place is a discussion and bartering bazaar, people selling and not wanting to trade often changed their minds because of various offers etc.
i've got 3 adds in the classifieds at the moment and not one comment on anything, which in my experience here, is highly unusual.

oh, and...

charge money ...loose participants ...... bass players are the poorest people i know, and the meanest.... :lol:

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354639882' post='1888562']
How long is a piece of string? Obviously as this is a business and something Steve and I want to develop we're looking at what's fair.
[/quote]

So it's not just about covering costs, it's also about making profit? Seems fair enough.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1354640484' post='1888572']

So it's not just about covering costs, it's also about making profit? Seems fair enough.
[/quote]

We're taking it one step at a time as there are lots of things we want to fix/upgrade but yes long term this site is becoming more and more a full time job. I should put as much effort in at my ACTUAL job!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354636351' post='1888477']
Yeah, precisely. We're limited to some extent by the platform. Even the classifieds add on was a third party 'hook' made by someone to fit into the software. Unless we hire our own person to totally code something from the ground up, these bolt-ons are never going to suit us perfectly. This has been proven in the feedback thus far about the new section.

[i][u][b]So do we all like the sound of a single payment for a one off advert and the option of a single yearly payment?[/b][/u][/i]
[/quote]

As we all know we can discuss this till the cows come home..... and go back out again! So single payment or option of annual fee seems more than fair.

i really do like the old style for sale forums, i tend to browse these the most out of the whole place. Most times its good reading finding out what people think of things for sale etc etc. i rarely buy stuff.

I would be happy to pay a sub to help keep the place going, i like it here

i know it attracts people here but if the only people allowed to use the for sale section for sales were subscribers then it could be one more bit of security for buyers/sellers avoiding potential pain in the bottom deals.

If Ped & Kiwi are not making a profit from running Basschat, then they bloody should be.

That is not intended to be in any way humorous or sarcastic, I am being deadly serious.

I like the idea of a future in which Basschat continues to exist, in much its current form, for a very long time.

The best guarantee of that is if we can find a way to make this a more rewarding experience for them.

I am constantly amazed at the number of posts right across this forum that assume that we all have a God-given right to enjoy Basschat for nowt. :rolleyes:

Single annual fee works best for me.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1354640973' post='1888592']

i know it attracts people here but if the only people allowed to use the for sale section for sales were subscribers then it could be one more bit of security for buyers/sellers avoiding potential pain in the bottom deals.
[/quote]

I think as long as users are always careful, the benefits of being able to advertise to EVERYONE far outweigh the advantages of selling to a select group. It's also one of the main things that brings folk to the site.

I'm a fan of the old system, especially for the discussion of items and the lack of formality - I like getting an insight into sellers from their communication with people and (sometimes) how they write their adverts. I don't think thumbnails are needed but a form requiring information such as location and a price would be good, however as has been mentioned, if an advert doesn't provide much information then the main consequence is that it is less likely for the item to sell. A pay per ad system would be fairest to raise money - it would need to be cheaper than an ebay listing - but adverts should be viewable to all; I think I first found the site from a link to a for sale item.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354636351'
[i][u][b]So do we all like the sound of a single payment for a one off advert and the option of a single yearly payment?[/b][/u][/i]
[/quote]

No, with no guarantee of selling I think up front payments just for placing ads are going to put members off and prove a giant headache for you.

Regarding subs: Good idea, but for the low-frequency (sorry) sellers who don't sell much, it'll be off-putting. How about £20 for a year, or (say) a one-off £2 for an individual item?

(sorry if this has been covered before, I didn't read the whole thread)

I regularly look(ed) at the old for sale forums. In a way they reflected the feel of the site. You were selling stuff, amongst like minded individuals, discussing it, having a laugh occasionally. I can't be bothered with the classifieds, it just doesn't work for me, I find it a bit clunky.

As for the fee idea. I rarely buy or sell on here, so it would depend where the fee was pitched as to whether I would advertise stuff I'd want to sell. It would certainly put me off putting things like, maybe, strings or pickups in the classifieds section.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354643704' post='1888653']
Things under a certain price would be free.
[/quote]

[/quote]

YES! that's great for me. especially the option of free listings for items under a certain price which totally removes the only minor niggle i had.

Matt

I prefer the old system but then I don't like change...

I actually like the banter that goes on in the posts and there is useful stuff posted about the gear that means I learn stuff too...I'll be sad to see it go TBH. I like the idea about having a button preventing bumping within 36 hours and it would soon become evident whose mates are bumping their gear..people aren't stupid and they'll soon get wise...I don't think this goes on that much anyway and don't see it as that much of a problem

I'd be more than happy to pay an annual subscription but I suspect it might deter some new users. I think £2 per ad is cheap especially when you compare this to some sites but others like Gumtree/ Ebid make no charge at all...Why not make a small charge (maybe a £5) and include a BC lanyard in the cost of the ad?? Gives the feeling of getting something more than just an ad for your money and raises the BC brand profile..

Works for me and seems very fair to all parties.
B)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1354641107' post='1888595']
If Ped & Kiwi are not making a profit from running Basschat, then they bloody should be.

That is not intended to be in any way humorous or sarcastic, I am being deadly serious.

I like the idea of a future in which Basschat continues to exist, in much its current form, for a very long time.

The best guarantee of that is if we can find a way to make this a more rewarding experience for them.

I am constantly amazed at the number of posts right across this forum that assume that we all have a God-given right to enjoy Basschat for nowt. :rolleyes:

[/quote]
Couldn't have put it better, Jack

PS, I virtually never visit the classifieds - compare and contrast that with my number of posts. I find its like a separate website and to me thats a bit sad. S'why I say single annual fee

[/quote]

Yes, sounds fair to me - good for the single/infrequent seller and good for those with tons of gear (or GAS!). Best of both worlds?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1354641107' post='1888595']

[/quote]

Agree with all of that Jack where the future of Basschat is concerned.. But equally...

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1354648425' post='1888752']

Of course - I suggested it yesterday morning in the other thread! :D
[/quote]

+1 to this idea as well!

IMO, it's great to be included in the discussion around what's best for BC.. Where else do you get that kind of involvement?