Why become a member? ×

When to buy first amp and cabinet?

kyboo

Apologies for rather silly question. I am learning to play bass mostly for fun and relax. I am not really serious about it at the moment. However, I am a bit tempted to try playing with someone else and I wonder 'how does it usually go'. I did google and understand big/small venues and amp power but I am curious what was your case, when did you get your first amp/cabinet.

I don't know about the other guys but I used a combo for quite a while as the venues we were playing in those days were the size of shoe boxes. I personally think if you are in a position to buy a nice amp and cab and you are certain that bass is for you... why not?? have fun with it!
One bit of advice would be to get one with a headphone socket (for those late night practice sessions) and preferably an Aux in for playing along with the songs your learning

Greetings Kyboo,
Congratulations on choosing such a noble instrument.
Firstly, it is possible to dip a toe into playing with other people without having to buy amplification. Open mic and jam nights tend to provide everything but instruments. Aslo, most rehearsal rooms have amps that can be hired. They do around here anyway.
If you decide to buy your own two big things need to be considered; storage and transport. For example, if you live in a small flat up a flight of steps and you don't have a car things can get a bit tedious.
If you go for it there are plenty of smallish combos and amp head/speaker cabinet combinations that will be suitable. There are some fantastic bargains to be had from the 'for sale' sections on this forum.

Do have a go at playing with other people. It'll bring you on quicker than anything else. Plus, it's great fun and will open up a whole new world of possibilities.

A soon as you find that you love playing the bass, and want to progress, then look at the options. Whether you get amp/cab, or combo, get what you need. Amp/cab = more versatility (as you can mix different brands), combo = easier to set up/break down gear if playing with other bands on small stages. If only playing at home, or only with guitarists I wouldn`t bother with too high power. I like the safety blanket of at least 300 watts when I`m playing in a band with a drummer - I prefer to have the power there, and to not push the amp, than constantly having a not powerful enough amp on full, like I did in my early days.

Welcome kybo. I'd say you wouldn't need to rush into it. Ive been playing for just under 2 years and still only have a practise amp. I am with a band, but at present we only play jam nights at a pub where all the gear is provided. And rehearse at a studio that has everything there.
I'm thinking of trying to find a better band in the New Year though and will be looking to buy some sort of rig in readiness. I'll need something small and light so will be searching through threads on here for suggestions.
This is a great place to get advice on that sort of thing.
:-)

Hi kybo, my first bass amp was an old 100-watt combo (Laney I think). This was fine until I started gigging, them I found it was way under-powered. The good news is that old combos like that can be picked up pretty cheap on this forum and on eBay, and you therefore won't lose too much value on it when you move from home/rehearsal/jam to live performance.

i didnt buy an amp and cab until i was playing gigs regurlarly, and even then it was because i was looking for a particular sound, i spent the best part of 5 years playing with a peavey tnt 115 combo.

even if you are looking to go to do gigs etc, an amp and cab combination is not always required, there are some good solid combo amps which will get you far

Right away! With a vengeance.
Then again, I'd never owned an amp big enough to gig with before, so when starting with bass, I didn't want to repeat that. Bought a 35W for home practice and a 300W with 410 for rehearsal/gigs right away.

You yourself just do what falls natural for you. Others are [i]other[/i] people.

best,
bert

If you are only playing for fun at home then you don't need to buy an expensive,high powered amp. You can
get good small practice amps by Ashdown,Peavey and Roland around £100-150 that will do the job.

My amp route went from a small 40 Watt combo,to a Trace Elliot Commando combo (first gigging amp),and then
I started down the head/cab route with a Peavey NitroBass head and 4x10 cab,before going Hartke
Genz Benz/Bergantino and now a small but powerful Ashdown rig. I've always had a small combo for home use
though.

Thing is, an 'amp big enough to gig with' depends a lot on the venues. Once you get into 'playing through the PA' territory then your own amp power becomes less important.

I first bought an Ampeg 70W combo and mainly use it at home, though I have used it for a few gigs where there was a PA as well. Later, I bought a 300W Ashdown amp and 210 & 115 cabs (and later added another 210) when I started gigging on a semi-regular basis (about one per month), which has been enough for most pub-sized gigs without a PA.

Thanks guys, that put me in the picture.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1354364361' post='1885193']
If you decide to buy your own two big things need to be considered; storage and transport. For example, if you live in a small flat up a flight of steps and you don't have a car things can get a bit tedious.
[/quote]

Thanks, I didn't think about it and it is actually a valid point. I lived in 5 places in less then 3 years here in London, ranging from a really small ones to 'could have been worse'. Learning at home is not an issue as I use a multi-effect connected to active speakers. It works and sounds well.

• 1 month later...