Why become a member? ×

Advice on cabs for '65 Selmer Treble and Bass 50 watt

surfguy13

Hi Guys and Gals

I'd be really grateful for some guidance on cabs for the above. I'm a guitarist that plays bass and have always used this old Selmer head for guitar but have recently been using it with a mid 70s Marshall 4x12 (G12M 55Hz drivers). The sound is OK'ish but not great.

I play bass for recording at home rather than 'out' and in a garage converted into a soundproofed rehearsal room. A cab is only going to be used in this environment so no humping around and no major issues with space.

Couple of questions; if anyone is familiar with these old Selmer heads which have 2 channels (one supposedly for bass the other for guitar) could I do a hell of a lot better buying a dedicated bass head and cab rather than continuing with this head? The big disadvantage of the Selmer is that it will only take 8 and 16 ohm cabs.

Whether or not I go for a dedicated bass head (or possibly combo?) I will need a cab and I really have no idea where to start. I appreciate that it's down to my personal preference but I kinda need a starting point as there are SO many different cabs out there.

Anyway, any advice would be warmly appreciated!!

Cheers

Guy

Until recently I had a Mk2 Selmer TandB which I bought new in the 60s. Great sounding amp. Plug you bass into input 1 on the bass channel. I used it with an Ashdown 8 ohm 1x15 and it sounded pretty good. The best cab I ever paired it with was a Trace Elliot 1510 cab but they're a bit hard to find these days.

I have a 65 amp Apollo head that also gives out 50 watts and their matching cab.
It's a simple 90 litre cab with two ports that have 110mm long 75mm diameter tubes that tune to 40hz. Tubes can be bought from wilmslow audio for about £10.
It has a celestion BL15-400x driver that is still available for about £70.

Get your saw out and start cutting.

Really nice to know that someone has used one of these old heads and has liked the sound. This head is totally 'as was' even the valves are original and it sounds wonderful with guitar and I'm sure it would sound really good with a dedicated bass cab but I was reluctant to spend a lot of dosh on a bass cab and find that it sounded rubbish.

I was thinking of an 8 ohm 1x15 to use with it so that's great advice.....thanks!!

[quote name='pikeman' timestamp='1354303050' post='1884703']
Until recently I had a Mk2 Selmer TandB which I bought new in the 60s. Great sounding amp. Plug you bass into input 1 on the bass channel. I used it with an Ashdown 8 ohm 1x15 and it sounded pretty good. The best cab I ever paired it with was a Trace Elliot 1510 cab but they're a bit hard to find these days.
[/quote]

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1354303220' post='1884706']
I have a 65 amp Apollo head that also gives out 50 watts and their matching cab.
It's a simple 90 litre cab with two ports that have 110mm long 75mm diameter tubes that tune to 40hz. Tubes can be bought from wilmslow audio for about £10.
It has a celestion BL15-400x driver that is still available for about £70.

Get your saw out and start cutting.
[/quote]

I hadn't even considered the possibility of making a cab but......why not?! Can you buy empty 90 litre cabs? Appreciate the details for Wilmslow Audio, I'll check them out. Likewise the nod re the driver - again, haven't a clue when it comes to bass drivers!

Thank ya kindly sir!

[quote name='surfguy13' timestamp='1354304125' post='1884718']
I hadn't even considered the possibility of making a cab but......why not?! Can you buy empty 90 litre cabs? Appreciate the details for Wilmslow Audio, I'll check them out. Likewise the nod re the driver - again, haven't a clue when it comes to bass drivers!

Thank ya kindly sir!
[/quote]
You might find it cheaper to snaffle one of the many used cabs that come up for sale on Basschat at reasonable prices. With many people (myself included) going over to light-weight kit, it's not hard to find something old and heavy - the weight shouldn't be an issue once it's in your music room.

DIY can be surprisingly difficult/expensive to get right once you start thinking about edge radius and a decent finish.

Edited by JapanAxe

I'd definitely go for an old 'fridge' type cab, a 2x15 or 8x10 (or 2 4x10's) as they are really cheap second hand and the biggest downside is moving the things, The upside is they are loud so using just 50W is still going to be enough for most situations. If they are just going to sit in a practice room then there is no problem. You may need to rewire to get the impedance right. Something like the Peavey 2x15 which sounds great is 4 ohms as the two 8ohm speakers are in parallel but wiring them in series will make the cab 16 ohms.

You are going to get an old school sound, you asked about the advantages of a new solid state amp then it will be more versatile and you have an infinity of choices depending upon your budget. I'd go for a fridge which you can sell on with little or no loss if you decide you don't like the sound. Or build a cab if you have the inclination, it is really rewarding. Don't buy tubes, you can use plastic pipe or thick cardboard tube of the right diameter, try carpet warehouses for the old cardboard tubes they are throwing out.

Hi Guy, it's Gordon here ... following you around!

I've recently taken up the 4 string again. Some recent similar experience which may help you.

Acquired myself an old and dead Selmer 100watt PA head which I got working again (did it myself and very gratifying it was too .. only one electric shock!). I had a great looking old WEM Starfire 1 x 18 cab that I decided to convert to a 2 x 10 + 1 x 15, which I did, involving making a new baffle ... grill cloth off the original and onto the new one, etc. Quite a lot of work and not particularly easy ... sonic results ... Meh! It's not terrible, but also not really what I expected ... not enough bottom end. Will probably try porting it now to see if that helps.

Bottom line is I would take others advice and get something that is already built!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1354317783' post='1884897']
One of these, [url="http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/selmer/speakers/spk15.html."]http://www.vintageho...ers/spk15.html.[/url] A match made in heaven.

I used a a pair of these with a metal clad T & B 100 in 1968, sounded wonderful. Mine just had Goodmans 18s in them though.
[/quote]

The link doesn't work for some reason - could you maybe re-try? Many thanks....

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1354318395' post='1884903']
You might find it cheaper to snaffle one of the many used cabs that come up for sale on Basschat at reasonable prices. With many people (myself included) going over to light-weight kit, it's not hard to find something old and heavy - the weight shouldn't be an issue once it's in your music room.

DIY can be surprisingly difficult/expensive to get right once you start thinking about edge radius and a decent finish.
[/quote]
[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1354357123' post='1885079']
I'd definitely go for an old 'fridge' type cab, a 2x15 or 8x10 (or 2 4x10's) as they are really cheap second hand and the biggest downside is moving the things, The upside is they are loud so using just 50W is still going to be enough for most situations. If they are just going to sit in a practice room then there is no problem. You may need to rewire to get the impedance right. Something like the Peavey 2x15 which sounds great is 4 ohms as the two 8ohm speakers are in parallel but wiring them in series will make the cab 16 ohms.

You are going to get an old school sound, you asked about the advantages of a new solid state amp then it will be more versatile and you have an infinity of choices depending upon your budget. I'd go for a fridge which you can sell on with little or no loss if you decide you don't like the sound. Or build a cab if you have the inclination, it is really rewarding. Don't buy tubes, you can use plastic pipe or thick cardboard tube of the right diameter, try carpet warehouses for the old cardboard tubes they are throwing out.
[/quote]

Thanks guys, that's really made my mind up!! I had thought an old 2x15 or 1x18 cab would sound good but I know little or nothing about old bass speakers. A lot of old 15 or 18 cabs are loaded with Goodmans and I wasn't too sure if these were passable speakers?

There are quite a few old cabs out there and because size/weight isn't an issue I'm going to go for a 'fridge' ......thanks for all the advice!! :)

[quote name='ripper' timestamp='1354357636' post='1885089']
Hi Guy, it's Gordon here ... following you around!

I've recently taken up the 4 string again. Some recent similar experience which may help you.

Acquired myself an old and dead Selmer 100watt PA head which I got working again (did it myself and very gratifying it was too .. only one electric shock!). I had a great looking old WEM Starfire 1 x 18 cab that I decided to convert to a 2 x 10 + 1 x 15, which I did, involving making a new baffle ... grill cloth off the original and onto the new one, etc. Quite a lot of work and not particularly easy ... sonic results ... Meh! It's not terrible, but also not really what I expected ... not enough bottom end. Will probably try porting it now to see if that helps.

Bottom line is I would take others advice and get something that is already built!
[/quote]

Hi Gordon

Good to hear from you!! :) Glad to hear you're getting stuck into 4 strings again, I have to say I'm really getting back into it again and loving it. The old Selmer head is great but I need 10" or 15" (or even 18") drivers I reckon, 12's don't seem to do it for me. I've sold the old EB3 and am using an old late 70s Martin 4 string and a 70s precision, just love 'em.

Hope things are good with you and thanks for the advice, yes, I will probably end up buying something that's already made but do fancy making or converting a cab!

Good afternoon, Guy...

I have an old Fender Bassman Export 50w head and it's matching 2x15 cab; they go perfectly together. I have an Ampeg 4x10 also, which sounds very good, but the 2x15 brings out the best of the amp, to my ears. A lot depends, of course, on the style played (old school 'jazz'/pop/rock for me...); 'slapping' doesn't work so well (not that I 'slap', though... :blush: ).
Hope this helps.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354376329' post='1885359']
Good afternoon, Guy...

I have an old Fender Bassman Export 50w head and it's matching 2x15 cab; they go perfectly together. I have an Ampeg 4x10 also, which sounds very good, but the 2x15 brings out the best of the amp, to my ears. A lot depends, of course, on the style played (old school 'jazz'/pop/rock for me...); 'slapping' doesn't work so well (not that I 'slap', though... :blush: ).
Hope this helps.
[/quote]
[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1354376666' post='1885363']
You will defo find the big heavy cabs are going cheap, i've just gone lightweight (markbass),
I put my 1x15 peavey and 4x10 GK on ebay and got £92.00 for both of them.. D'oh
[/quote]

I think that nails it! A 2x15 sounds more or less perfect and if it works with an old bassman head it should sound great with the Selmer. Luverly! :)

I can't believe that the peavy and GK cabs went [i]that [/i]cheap?! It just sounds crazy. I can completely understand why anyone would want to go lightweight, makes sense, but I wonder if you can get that old fashioned umphhh from a lightweight cab? I really do like the sound of an old 1x15 or 2x15 and I guess they would work well with a very old amp, particularly if you have the physical size and heavy-duty ply construction.

Thanks guys.....