Why become a member? ×

Please help out bass legend Joe Osborn!

TomRichards

Hello all my friends on the other side of the pond!

Joe Osborn, bass legend, reached out to me to ask for some help in getting his student and young musician Matthew Davidson an amazing opportunity. Here is his email to me:

Hello, Tom,

Thank you very much for offering to forward information about the contest to bass players you know. We wouldn't bother everyone if it wasn't a good opportunity for Matthew, and I'm doing all that I can to open doors for him. Please forward today to as many people as you can. The following newsletter gives complete details, but here's the short version for posting on Forums and Facebook:

Would you please help out teen musician Matthew Davidson, produced by bassist Joe Osborn, in a contest? It’s very easy. Please click on this Facebook event link, scroll down to Matthew Davidson’s and Joe Osborn’s video, and click "Like" under their video. [url="https://www.facebook.com/events/489251197774492/"]https://www.facebook.com/events/489251197774492/[/url].

For your second vote: First, please click on the following link, and then click on “Vote” in the upper right corner of the screen that the link takes you to. (You will have to “Like” the Louisiana Travel Facebook page and approve an app to be able to vote) Look for the video named “Matthew Davidson and Joe Osborn would appreciate your vote!”, and then click on “Vote” (the small box on the bottom right corner of their video). That's it! Thanks! [url="http://woobox.com/kwk3um"]http://woobox.com/kwk3um[/url]

So, come on all you guys who grew up listening to his killer bass and basslines, like Aquarius, anything by the Monkees, Mama's and the Papa's, you name it.

Lets put this kid over the top and get him a great opportunity. And lets help out Joe in the process as well.

He rarely asks for anything, and this one only takes a few minutes of your time and a quick stop on Facebook!

Thanks, Tom!

Good afternoon, Tom...

I'm sorry, but this kind of appeal, however well-founded, is quite the last to motivate me, and possibly others, to respond. There are several fundamental flaws (imho...) which go against my upbringing and 'culture', such as deservedness, worth and 'honesty'. It could be (slightly...) different if you had at least asked to listen to the purported entry, along with others, and judge the likeability for ourselves. Asking for a blind (or, in this case, deaf..?) vote is not on, in my book.
No disrespect,and I wish no malice to anyone involved, but this doesn't work for me, at least.
Good luck with the competition, but on loyal terms. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354465739' post='1886262']
Good afternoon, Tom...

I'm sorry, but this kind of appeal, however well-founded, is quite the last to motivate me, and possibly others, to respond. There are several fundamental flaws (imho...) which go against my upbringing and 'culture', such as deservedness, worth and 'honesty'. It could be (slightly...) different if you had at least asked to listen to the purported entry, along with others, and judge the likeability for ourselves. Asking for a blind (or, in this case, deaf..?) vote is not on, in my book.
No disrespect,and I wish no malice to anyone involved, but this doesn't work for me, at least.
[/quote]

+1

^^ In one. Joe Osborn is a living bass legend and a hero, but I don't know squat about his student and don't feel like I should have to jump through the necessary Facebook hoops to land him some opportunity that has been explained to me vaguely at best. Sorry if this seems uncaring in anyway, but I simply don't know or care enough to follow the links any further, I'm guessing a lot of other people will feel the same way.

Pleas of this type get me on the wrong foot.
Then, if I can be arsed to check, then I will still vote for the candidate that I prefer.

Your plea however is special, as it is dishonest.
So I can be arsed to write this, but couldn't be arsed to even read your plea beyond the words "his student".

best,
bert

I respectfully disagree, especially with the dishonest comment.

You are free to do whatever you feel best. I do know several votes came in from the UK, so to those of you who voted, thank you.

This is a very local contest and the kid is very young and doesn't have the exposure a few in the contest do. Because it is a Social media based contest, it's no different then those two pieces of rubbish, X Factor and UK Idol, that you exported here. Talent is required, but its really about the votes and who you can get to vote.

Personally, I know Joe doesn't just work or play with anybody. He thinks the kid is a talent, and given his track record as a player and producer, it is hard to argue that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

So, if you are inclined to vote, thank you. If not, then fine as well.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354465739' post='1886262']
Good afternoon, Tom...

[/quote]

very well put

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1354487774' post='1886662']
Because it is a Social media based contest, it's no different then those two pieces of rubbish, X Factor and UK Idol, [b]that you exported here. [/b]
[/quote]

I'm guessing you think that response to your thread has been less than favourable, but try and avoid tarring a forum full of bass players from being solely responsible for an export that has been as equally well received in your home country as it has in ours. Not the greatest of moves!

I liked/voted the other day - No big deal,
Some folk on this forum over the past year or so have come and asked for similar 'Like/vote'
promoting their band or services, or on behalf of friends..

Although it might have been a better deal all round if Joe had signed into Basschat himself and asked,
and possibly chatted a little [The man is a Bass player legend after all]
I am sure more people might have helped out that way.

Anyway good luck to the kid.

Garry

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1354494485' post='1886749']
I'm guessing you think that response to your thread has been less than favourable, but try and avoid tarring a forum full of bass players from being solely responsible for an export that has been as equally well received in your home country as it has in ours. Not the greatest of moves!
[/quote]

+ 1. Don't put anything to do with talent shows down to me.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1354518198' post='1886802']
I liked/voted the other day - No big deal,
Some folk on this forum over the past year or so have come and asked for similar 'Like/vote'
promoting their band or services, or on behalf of friends..

Although it might have been a better deal all round if Joe had signed into Basschat himself and asked,
and possibly chatted a little [The man is a Bass player legend after all]
I am sure more people might have helped out that way.

Anyway good luck to the kid.

Garry
[/quote]

Thank you Garry.

Joe isn't really an internet guy, and doesn't pop into any forums, at least he hasn't to my knowledge.

I know Joe, and figured that I would put it here. I thought any help he could get would be nice.

I think that this is different then most "vote/like" my bands because this is a 14 year old kid who a legend has taken under his wing because he sees some true potential and its not the kid just hawking himself.

Either way, thanks for the vote.

And for those who I offended with my X-Factor and Idol quote. Sorry. Wasn't my intention. Bothers me that people here ate it up too.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1354551011' post='1887242']

And for those who I offended with my X-Factor and Idol quote. Sorry. Wasn't my intention. Bothers me that people here ate it up too.
[/quote]

Not offended at all, neighbour.

Is your version as much of a bag of shyte as ours is?

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1354551011' post='1887242']
[/quote]

I wasn't offended, confused more than anything as the X-Factor and Idol have been massive both sides of the pond!

My original post might have made me seem like a bit of a cock, and fair enough I probably was. But I've seen loads of threads like this one, your intentions sound good but I'm not convinced that I know what I'd be voting for so I'm not compelled to cast any vote, let alone join various FB pages that I don't know anything about.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1354487774' post='1886662']
I respectfully disagree, especially with the dishonest comment.

You are free to do whatever you feel best. I do know several votes came in from the UK, so to those of you who voted, thank you.

This is a very local contest and the kid is very young and doesn't have the exposure a few in the contest do. Because it is a Social media based contest, it's no different then those two pieces of rubbish, X Factor and UK Idol, that you exported here. Talent is required, but its really about the votes and who you can get to vote.

Personally, I know Joe doesn't just work or play with anybody. He thinks the kid is a talent, and given his track record as a player and producer, it is hard to argue that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

So, if you are inclined to vote, thank you. If not, then fine as well.
[/quote]

Hey man, you sound quite pissed at what you feel are the negative views expressed here. And accusing the UK of exporting rubbish to the USA (WT actual F !!) has done you no favours whatsover. I think you need to get a grip and get this in perspective. YOU have just created your own little X Factor here. It has NOTHING whatever to do with this kid's 'talent' (whatever the f*** that means), or music. This has NOTHING to do with music. Or integrity and fairness. It is simply your wish to give the kid a leg up via a popularity contest because your mate Joe thinks he's more talented than a bunch of other talented musicians.

Your arrogance and misguided altruism has actually angered me.

This 'kid' can afford lessons with Joe Osborn, there are MANY extremely talented young musicians in the world who will never get that opportunity, in fact many will never even get the opportunity to realise they have the potential to be great musicians.

The vast majority of great musicians are struggling and can't support themselves through music.

This forum is full of talented musicians who work f***ing hard day and night and hope one day their music will get noticed and that they can make a living doing what they are passionate about instead of having to take a low wage selling sh*t to unsuspecting people in Asda (oh, that's some horrible company the USA exported to the UK isn't it?).

FFS!

/rant

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354803417' post='1890586']
Hey man, you sound quite pissed at what you feel are the negative views expressed here. And accusing the UK of exporting rubbish to the USA (WT actual F !!) has done you no favours whatsover. I think you need to get a grip and get this in perspective. YOU have just created your own little X Factor here. It has NOTHING whatever to do with this kid's 'talent' (whatever the f*** that means), or music. This has NOTHING to do with music. Or integrity and fairness. It is simply your wish to give the kid a leg up via a popularity contest because your mate Joe thinks he's more talented than a bunch of other talented musicians.

Your arrogance and misguided altruism has actually angered me.

This 'kid' can afford lessons with Joe Osborn, there are MANY extremely talented young musicians in the world who will never get that opportunity, in fact many will never even get the opportunity to realise they have the potential to be great musicians.

The vast majority of great musicians are struggling and can't support themselves through music.

This forum is full of talented musicians who work f***ing hard day and night and hope one day their music will get noticed and that they can make a living doing what they are passionate about instead of having to take a low wage selling sh*t to unsuspecting people in Asda (oh, that's some horrible company the USA exported to the UK isn't it?).

FFS!

/rant
[/quote]

100% agreement Nige, especially about the X-Factor observation. Hoisted by his own petard there I think :rolleyes:

Not like you to be so slow at responding Nige where a diatribe is due? ;)

As for the OP I found it a perfect example of why so much modern media is bollox, not least that to even enter a vote - notwithstanding all of Nige's post above - you have to "like" Louisiana Travel -[i] if I may borrow your "WT actual F" for a second please Nige? [/i]

A classic example of why I was so glad that this forum had the good taste to reject the trialled "like" system on here.

........... and for that reason ...... I'm out![i] ...... damn, damn, wrong over exposed, good idea at the start but spoilt by the mainstream TV show.[/i]

Inclined to agree with the rant, not trying to put the boot in either. I'm glad the lad has done well, best of luck to him and to his future tutoring with an all time great but the biggest lesson Joe Osborn can offer this lad is hard work can pay off big time, flash in the pan competitions on FB mean squat. Wish him all the best though.