Why become a member? ×

Joining/starting/finding bands

Jimryan

If you're struggling to find a band then it's really worth paying some attention to how you market yourself. Some quality footage of you playing and a tidy FB page etc can go a long way towards generating some interest in you as a player. If you have a good presence and plenty of media to support it then you will be more desirable to established bands looking to replace a departing bass player. Also networking is really important. Put yourself out there as a dep and take everything you can. You'll find that being known locally as a decent player and a good reliable person goes a long way to helping you find a band.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

If you're struggling to find a band then it's really worth paying some attention to how you market yourself. Some quality footage of you playing and a tidy FB page etc can go a long way towards generating some interest in you as a player. If you have a good presence and plenty of media to support it then you will be more desirable to established bands looking to replace a departing bass player. Also networking is really important. Put yourself out there as a dep and take everything you can. You'll find that being known locally as a decent player and a good reliable person goes a long way to helping you find a band.

This ^

1 hour ago, mrtcat said:

If you're struggling to find a band then it's really worth paying some attention to how you market yourself. Some quality footage of you playing and a tidy FB page etc 

My FB page only contains;

1.Gig Schedule

2.Performance Pics

3.Videos

4. Personal Gear Pics

There are no family or friend pics, holiday pics, pics of pets, personal opinions or political comments on my page.

If I were scouting bands I  could say with confidence, " Friend me on FB to see my resume"

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

I really think for the few guys looking to be in a paid gigging band ( gigging 2-3 times a week) here are a few thoughts.

Do you even live in an area where this sort of opportunity exists

Do you have experience, relevant experience 

And then 3 questions after an offer has been made;

How many paying gigs did the band play in 2018, how many paying gigs are booked for 2019 and what is the fee your band charges and what's the split.

Here's another one and a crucial question. Are any key band members planning to leave the band this year. The loss of a key nember can bring a band to a halt.

If you cover those bases you can make a decision if you and the band are a match.

Blue

46 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I really don't care - I'm not doing it for anything other than enjoyment. 

:)

Me too, I always enjoy playing music. But I don't play for enjoyment. I play for a fee. 

I've been there though. 40 years ago when I was a young guy, I played for free, money didn't matter. In hindsight it was a mistake.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

• 2 months later...
On 28/11/2012 at 22:11, Paulgm1 said:

I've been looking for something in the same sort of area for a while also. It's metal and/ or guys with no commitments at all who want availability seven nights a week for rehearsal or gigs!

I should move to your area, apparently.

22 minutes ago, oZZma said:

I should move to your area, apparently.

I wouldn't bother moving round here - i live near Portsmouth and I've been looking for a decent covers/functions band anywhere within a 30 mile radius for over 12 months now.

It's not that I'm not passing auditions - there simply haven't been any good quality established bands looking for a bass player, apparently. And I advertise myself everywhere I can think of incl. FB.

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

I wouldn't bother moving round here - i live near Portsmouth and I've been looking for a decent covers/functions band anywhere within a 30 mile radius for over 12 months now.

It's not that I'm not passing auditions - there simply haven't been any good quality established bands looking for a bass player, apparently. And I advertise myself everywhere I can think of incl. FB.

The only decent resource for publically advertised opportunities we have is MilwaukeeRocks.

The Bass Player Wanted section has had absolutely no opportunities for over 3 months.

Blue