Why become a member? ×

Joining/starting/finding bands

Jimryan

Evening all.

Anyone know any decent ways for the above.

I've done the usual of here, bandmix, joinmyband, musolist and gumtree. Alas, to no avail. Is it just Portsmouth or does no one other than metal and its sub-genres require bassists these days? I remember a few years ago bassists were in short supply. These days it seems no one needs one :-(

All in all, I just want to be in a band and start gigging again.

Have you thought about starting your own band?

I keep an eye on 'join my band' etc (even though I am in a band) and there seems to be a lot of other mucicians advertising, and probably even more that just browse these sites looking for someone that is forming a new band. I understand the pitfalls of putting together a new band, it took me over a year to get the right people in place..................

Just a thought?

Jas

Where I'm based (excuse the obvious pun to begin with), in Llanelli/Carmarthenshire area in South Wales, theres a LOT of guitarists and bassists, but very few drummers available. Have been tempted to try and learn drums as a backup plan, but I always return to bass (or guitar if desperate) I'm guessing its different situations around the country though. Had a fantastic drummer for one of my stoner/doom metal bands, but as he and his wife have just had their first child, he stepped down a few weeks ago - completely fair enough tbh as its a stressful time (as many folks on here know!)

• Like 1

Yeah, im havin similar probs been looking in a relaxed fashion for something for the last 9 months. Im into metal, but now too old and im not 163% committed to the band and nothing else in my life.

Gonna take the 'im starting a band' in the new year but also start going with the old fashioned hand scribbled contact poster in music shops, pub and venue. I have confidence this will be more successful than tinterweb!

Even in London it can be hard - not necessarily just to find people, but to find like-minded musicians. It seems that everyone trying to form a band around here is 'determined to break the mould and make it in the music business'. I have a full time job and a realistic opinion about the quality (or lack thereof) of my playing...

Tell me about it, even worse if you're over 40. I imagine the OP just left it off his list but there is also the [b]Partysounds[/b] site which is similar to Gumtree etc though the layout looks like it could do with a freshen up. The ones that are starting to hack me off are those that can't even be bothered to reply. Even if it is a simple cut and paste 'Thanks but we already have someone' message before they take their ad down would suffice. Not teally enough time with the day job to consider starting one from fresh at the moment but i might be forced into it at this rate.

Open mic nights are a good way to put yourself around and get known I found. I've also used these 2 sites in the past http://www.formingbands.co.uk http://www.bandmix.co.uk. I got some interest from them and it also gave an insight of what was out there locally. They were free (up to a point) when I was on there, don't know about now.

• 5 years later...
On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2012 at 14:38, xgsjx said:

It's the same up this way. If I was a teenage metaller then I'd be fine.
Serious shortage of musicians. :(

LOL! I know this thread is 2012, but in 2018 the situation has slid even more. (Bass Chatters never quit, so I know you're all still around... unless you've moved on to your big reward... ) I'm near Toronto. Same here. You're lucky if you can find any old school musicians. You all might be interested in this video.

Edited by StringNavigator

The Aukland jam is still going. Run by Andy Broad. The thing that puts me off that one is the fact that the room is so small they don't usually have a drummer, as such.

There is a general dearth of opportunities in Pompey it seems. You're right, the metal scene seems to be thriving but then that's primarily a few bands on one bill and with no money at the end of the night.

Is there any particular genre you want to get involved in? 

Until this sudden resurrection, the last post on this thread was just after I moved back to the UK six years ago!

Just to add, people were complaining about the lack of opportunities to join bands in the town they live in - well, look further afield then. My main band is based 90 miles from where I live, and everyone (bar one) in the band has a long journey to rehearse. It certainly means the rehearsals are very focussed. We play wherever we can, no restriction on travelling, so long as it pays OK. We rehearse approx once every two months, with set lists circulated well in advance and everyone knows their parts when we get together. 

The one member who lives where we are based has a very good rehearsal studio there, so it is a good hub for us to work from.

15 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Aha. I should have looked at the 'don't comment without reading the whole thread' thread first!!

The reply before yours was the one which exhumed the thread, so you can relax, I don't think the forum police will be breaking down your door over this!

Regards to Rob B. & Dave K. when you see them.

39 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Will do, Dave. Simon is away with Robben Ford soon and so we will be convening upon his return.

Thank you - any news of Paul yet? When I spoke with Rob at SoL he said he hadn't seen him since the last I played at his (Rob's) house, rehearsing Cartoon Heroes stuff before his (Paul's) accident.

Lucky Ducky! I'd like 5 hour rehearsals.

Just asked because most here are 2 hours due to room rental fees of $40/hr. In my case, 2 hours is hardly worth a 1 hour drive. I'm just warming up when it's done..

I really feel limited here in Ontario. Music as a pastime or part-time job is increasingly very rare. The UK seems to be the place for musical enthusiasts, unless it's a European, pub or drinking thing? Folks here actually look down on it and it's considered a teen-age thing. Even the US is full of music, with bands rivaling carpentry as a hobby and gazebos in every park. Places like Austin or Memphis have musicians hanging out windows and busking in the streets. You won't see that here. Australia has more music and less people than Canada.It's quite shocking when you realise that England has 400 people per square km and Toronto has 4000! You'd think that the population of musicians would rise accordingly. Our music section on Craigslist has more ads for Henna Skin Painting than musicians. Where you live is so critical as a musician. How do you network so well?