Why become a member? ×

Which cabinets do you use with your Markbass Little Mark III?

lloydage

I was just curious to know which cabinets you use with your Little Mark III and what works for you? Do you use Markbass cabinets or other cabinets? Which combination of speakers etc.?

I will be playing loud blues / garage rock in bars/clubs holding 250 people.

Cheers
Lloyd

I've used Markbass heads with the following cabinets:

2x Markbass 102HF
Markbass 104HF
Ashdown MAG 410 (front ported)
Ashdown MAG 410 (rear ported)
2x Ashdown MAG 210 (rear ported)
Barefaced Super 12 T
Ampeg SVT 610 HLF
Peavey TVX 410

Out of all these combinations the only ones I didn't like were the rear ported Ashdown cabs. Everything else sounded amazing! The loudest and clearest tone was from the Markbass 4x10 or the Barefaced.

I used my Little Mark Tube with the Markbass 104HR. It was great, very good all round tone, sat nicely in the mix, never boomy, but with plenty of lows and that "felt as well as heard" thing, and also not too toppy or shrill. I also used it with an Ampeg PF410HE, and it sounded great through that as well.

Used my tube version with a boat load of stuff.

Sounded best through the barefaced stuff. (wasn't overly keen on the S12T though)
And if I can an Ampeg classic 8x10. it just sounds sounds awesome. The MB's flat responsiveness makes the cab really clear punchy and tight.

Started using 2 MArkbass traveller 2x10's but couldn't get on with the rear ports outside of big gig situations.
Although on gigs it worked really really well, it was like having an 8x10 behind me only it not being so ridiculously heavy and massive. Big sound but very clear around the mids.

Swapped those to the Ampeg SVT210 AV's and I'm just as happy, only I don't have the horrible low/low-mid bass rumble from having ports, plus they aren't heavy, but not as loud but plenty loud enough.
One could happily do a gig, but sounds better with MOAR!!

The Barefaced stuff is really good though, suits any music in a lot of situations. I'm tempted to drop Alex an email about his 69'er.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1354146601' post='1882870']
Swapped those to the Ampeg SVT210 AV's and I'm just as happy, only I don't have the horrible low/low-mid bass rumble from having ports, plus they aren't heavy, but not as loud but plenty loud enough.
[/quote]

Interesting.. I get the low/low-mid rumble on some stages. Does using a sealed cab completely eradicate this?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1354157563' post='1882930']
Interesting.. I get the low/low-mid rumble on some stages. Does using a sealed cab completely eradicate this?
[/quote]

It might give the cab a different tune, and that might cut down the lows... which is why the 810 cab is so well used on large stages.
You really DO NOT want wallowing bass bleeding into everywhere in the mix. It is THERE but not everywhere.

Of course, you have have TOO much bass :lol: :lol:

You look or hear, industry standard bass monitor rigs and you will not find a boomy cab.
SWR, from 20 years ago with their Goliaths, etc..Eden XLTs.. and the iconic Ampeg fridge...

I use 2x210 with a HEAVY amp and the sound can be FULL..but never boomy.

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1354279285' post='1884347']
....I use mine with either 1 or 2 Aguilar GS112 cabs. I get a nice full, rounded sound out of them. Most of the time I have the tone controls on the amp at 12 o'clock and the VLE at about a quarter....
[/quote]

I forgot.... I played my LM2 with 2 GS112 cabs as well. Fabulous sound.

I used the Markbass 410HR and my Schroeder 1515L with mine, with a Sansamp in front of it. Great sound (and more than enough of it for a loud drummer) with either - the Schroeders don't suit every amp, but work well with the LMIII.

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1354279285' post='1884347']
I use mine with either 1 or 2 Aguilar GS112 cabs. I get a nice full, rounded sound out of them. Most of the time I have the tone controls on the amp at 12 o'clock and the VLE at about a quarter.
[/quote]

Good full cabs with great low end. New strings and the cabs are great... but for me, when the strings dull off... I went hunting the sound too much for my liking.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1357128752' post='1917739']
I run my LM Tube through an EAD Foundation 212. I've used Aguilar DB's and GS's and I've heard a back to back comparison with a Barefaced cab (albeit an earlier one) and I've not heard better.
[/quote]
I love the look of those EAD 212's. Did I read somewhere that they are only building them to order now?

Have used mine through many cabs and it has sounded pretty good through each. Great if you only have 15 mins to sound check, as is too often the case! My favourite combo is paired with my own 212. A Markbass club600f32. They pair up brilliantly.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1357146489' post='1918159']
I love the look of those EAD 212's. Did I read somewhere that they are only building them to order now?
[/quote]

You'd need to speak to Dave Perry that makes them. He's a top bloke, very friendly and he might have some builds in the pipeline.