Why become a member? ×

DI - GT the Brick vs. Ampeg SVTDI*updated* incl.Tony Levin DI Shootout

73Jazz

Hello Gents,

I really love my Ampeg SVTDI Tube Di, which is in my oppinion one of the best Di's , unfortunately rare to find. My previous Di was an Avalon U5, which is with no doubt amazing as well,
But both were really near soundwise from quality, the U5 was more brilliant and with more details in tone, but i prefered the warm and rich tone of the Ampeg, as i a/b'ed both and sold the U5.

Now back to the question, did someone of you had the possibilty to compare the Ampeg SVTDI with a Groove Tubes the Brick? Someone like to share his experience?
That would be great, thanks in advance

Edited by 73Jazz

After some 'Research' which would have made Sherlock Holmes jealous, i found an interesting thread, where Tony Levin as the 'input' and some other Pros compare several DI with an actice MM of Tony and a passive 62 Stack knob Fender Jb.
There are also all soundfiles recorded listed, so you can get your personal impression.
It is interesting and maybe could be a good information for you as well.
So here it is

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/2012/04/10/di-test-at-dreamland-this-weekend/

Interesting about the GT the Brick is, that this is one of the things Lee Sklar uses in every situation, which could count as a recommendation, from a guy which records that much. ( found in an interview with Lee Sklar)

Edited by 73Jazz