Why become a member? ×

How many mistakes per gig do you make?

The Dark Lord

I don`t tend to make mistakes, but if I do I just let it pass, the main thing is to not beat yourself up about it, especially during the gig. But it will be noted in the memory bank and whatever happens at the next gig, I`ll be pretty sure to not make the same mistake again. I think one of the lucky things about bass is that if you hit a wrong note and you`re quick enough you can change it into a run on the hoof so to speak, so it sounds intended.

I sing lead vocal and play bass. There is the odd mistake on newer songs, like a dropped line in a lyric, or the odd bum note, but I cover them well.
At the moment, I am going through hormone therapy, following prostate cancer and I overheat a lot as a result and it makes me a bit foggy in places. We tend to shrug the odd gaffe off. I managed to lose the guitar solo from Highway to Hell a few weeks ago by restarting a chorus and the guitarist was not impressed!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2012 at 11:41, Spoombung said:

The common cause of errors for me is relaxing into a groove and enjoying the other guys playing. Then I forget about the tricky bit coming up and it's suddenly on top of me, like I said, no one seems to notice or care ...

Happens to me too...regular as clockwork.

I have he odd night where I don’t set a foot wrong, but they are the minority. Most of my gigs, there would be the odd bit here or there. Very occasional, I would have a bit of a blinder, but I have never had to stop a song (luckily!!). 

I think you need to play as a band an awful lot to avoid this (a few nights a week). 

I fall into the category of “remember all the notes in a song” type of player, which plays into the hands of disaster if you forget. I want to learn to be a player who always knows what key/chord progression a song is. It won’t guarantee against disaster, but should always keep you close enough to be out of trouble!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read this entire thread - very entertaining from start to finish :)

I've only ever played a couple of gigs and that was a long time ago, and it was the 2nd song during the 1st gig that I absolutely messed up. First song was Longpigs song that starts with the bass. Since this was my first ever gig, I was practically wetting myself anyway, but I managed to play the entire song without a mistake. I was well chuffed.

In fact, I was that chuffed that I completely zoned out after the song, missed the intro to the 2nd song, ended up playing god knows what to try and get back on track and it took what felt like to me, forever to get back in line again. I still cringe when I think of it now !

Lead guitarist and singer came over after that song and said, "What the bloody hell are you playing at", and then HE missed the intro to the next song, haha

Practically a carry on film.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Loads. But when I listen to the playback for the musicals I do I can’t hear them because bass in in the mix. Not as obvious as you think. Also bass parts for musicals are odd and so playing some wrong notes can actually sound right...

On 5/8/2018 at 10:36, MacDaddy said:

what is a mistake though?

You'd think that would be an easy question to answer but in fact it requires more consideration! For example, I think its an unforgivable sin to have done a gig with every note perfectly in tune and in time; but with a drab soulless performance given. I'd much rather someone put their all into the music, to make it expressive, emotional, varied their touch and tone, used dynamics etc etc and the odd mistake crept in here and there because you're trying your best, rather than sleepwalk through all the notes and think you did okay when in fact it was quite dull to the audience.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2018 at 13:29, Mister RLP said:

Loads. But when I listen to the playback for the musicals I do I can’t hear them because bass in in the mix. Not as obvious as you think. Also bass parts for musicals are odd and so playing some wrong notes can actually sound right...

Its probably worth saying also that there's some bits where you can't afford to make, or it would be wholly inappropriate, to make mistakes. For example a really quiet section, or where the bass is prominent but with another soloing at the same time; or an important intro or section. And then there's some bits where its complicated, or a lot going on, etc etc where its actually not massively critical all the notes are 100% there but a bit of "organised chaos" is quite alright.

14 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Its probably worth saying also that there's some bits where you can't afford to make, or it would be wholly inappropriate, to make mistakes. For example a really quiet section, or where the bass is prominent but with another soloing at the same time; or an important intro or section. And then there's some bits where its complicated, or a lot going on, etc etc where its actually not massively critical all the notes are 100% there but a bit of "organised chaos" is quite alright.

Organised chaos is exactly what happens after I've just done the one beat :)

• Haha 1

I'm my opinion  I'll make a big thing about mistakes at band rehearsal ,but on the night it's the performance that counts & keep smiling , atmosphere & groove going  9/10 times only the band notices not the punters out for a good time ...as for my musicians friends that just stand at the bar ,I ignore them  :) 

I'm the person in the band who notices and remembers all of the mistakes - doesn't matter how well the rest of the gig has gone, I'm the one shaking my head because I played a bum note in the third song.  One of my guitarist  mates is exactly the same - I saw him playing at a festival a few weeks ago and there's one song where he switches to finger picking for one section, and he choked a couple of the notes.  I guarantee you that we were the only two people in the place who noticed, but it's all he could talk about in the pub afterwards, how he'd choked those notes, kept coming back to having made that one mistake in an hour long set.

If I'm playing the bass in a well rehearsed band then I'll still be very disappointed in myself to stuff something up...though I once came off stage effing and jeffing about my bass having stopped working completely half way through the last song (dodgy wiring) and muttering that even allowing for that I hadn't played well at all that night.  the singer was taking to a journalist in the dressing room, who both turned to me with a puzzled look, saying that they'd noticed the bass not working, but everything else on the night was spot on as far as they could tell.  I have many similar stories - just says to me that as long as the singer gets the chorus in the right place, the crowd are happy.