Why become a member? ×

How many mistakes per gig do you make?

The Dark Lord

• 1 month later...

I dunno, a few I suppose, mistakes don't really matter that much though, more important is the attitude, music is for making people feel something, I would be more likely to berate myself for playing 'not tight enough' or 'not havin it enough' or 'too distracted' than a wrong note. I crack the whip with myself a fair bit but with the things that matter, not mistakes.

[quote name='Barefootbassplayer' timestamp='1354623187' post='1888171']
I've always said if I play and a gig and don't make the odd mistake I'm not trying hard enough :) never been one for learning bass lines note for note but like to react to what is going on around me and compliment where I can, echoing a cool guitar lick or drum fill when I know where they're going. By the time I realise I've hit a duff note I'm already past it so grin like a cheshire cat and carry on!
[/quote]

We're not related are we? Cos that's exactly my philosophy. B)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1354014853' post='1880740']
Never mind 2 or 3 per gig, I'm probably making 2 or 3 per song! :lol:

I do have a good poker face though, developed through years of not corpsing on stage when things go wrong in my theatre and comedy performances! B)
[/quote]

Haha yeah, I make a couple of mistakes on at least 50% of our songs.

As for the poker face, I've not got that down yet - I guess I'd rather people know I'm aware of my errors :D

During our performance piece for my A level grade, my friend, who played guitar for us, decided she would put the capo on the second fret, and not the third, and not mention it to anybody. My bassline was quite fast up and down, and when i came in, i just looked and was like "why doesn't this sound right?". apparently my teacher was trying to signal that i was a semi-tone out, but then thought she might confuse me and stopped, but i worked it out anyway. I had to readjust everything on the fly, which wasn't easy for me. Apparently the moderator didn't notice, but that wasn't the only mistake i had made, and i was pissed off with the entire performance, and that was the only performance that ever really mattered.

Also, my amp was really quiet for some reason, and at one point, it was just me playing under the bridge by myself, while my friend pretended to be a drunk in a pub and being all like "Oh aye, i know that one b'jaysus! go on, i'll sing along... shumtyimes a fyeels like" etc etc.

I'm getting pissed about it now, and it was nearly a year ago.

I think at the end of the day, unless it's your full time job, we will always make the odd gaffe or 3. As long as we can cover them up well.

Every one of us in the band make the od mistake, but nothing that is totally detrimental to the song.

We all know when each in turn of us does a mistake but we just smirk at each other, shrug it off and bash on without stopping.
Then have a laugh about it at the break/end of gig.

Maybe we should just actually rehearse more!!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1357885364' post='1929969']
I am a jazz musician. It' s what I do.
[/quote]

Aren't they called incidentals? ;)

I've no idea how many mistakes I make at a gig, it's been a year since my last one.
Hopefully let you know soon though!

[quote name='Jambo10' timestamp='1358067204' post='1932432']
I think at the end of the day, unless it's your full time job, we will always make the odd gaffe or 3. As long as we can cover them up well.
[/quote]

laughing and gurning at the cheese-wire strummer should do the trick then :lol:

I don't make mistakes.

I long since accepted that during the course of a gig there would be incidents and issues which would not be as planned. Some of these would likely be as a result of my concentration going or being distracted or simply forgetting what I'm supposed to be doing. In which case - as I accept that these ar going to happen - they are not unforeseen.

For that reason , using a combination of aquired skills and experience - I have learned to cope with them when they occur. Not to panic - not to be thrown in any way - but to react quickly and professionally and get back on the path.

So for those reasons - when something I can foresee occurs and I've already prepared myself to deal with it...............

how can it be a mistake??

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1358072859' post='1932523']
I don't make mistakes.

I long since accepted that during the course of a gig there would be incidents and issues which would not be as planned. Some of these would likely be as a result of my concentration going or being distracted or simply forgetting what I'm supposed to be doing. In which case - as I accept that these ar going to happen - they are not unforeseen.

For that reason , using a combination of aquired skills and experience - I have learned to cope with them when they occur. Not to panic - not to be thrown in any way - but to react quickly and professionally and get back on the path.

So for those reasons - when something I can foresee occurs and I've already prepared myself to deal with it...............

how can it be a mistake??

:rolleyes:
[/quote]

Sounds jazzy!

Short of a show-stopper, the only mistake is making mistakes obvious. If you carry on as the good Doctor says then who is to know? If you throw yourself off track, pull a face etc then everyone knows.

Edited by D.I. Joe
  • Like 1

Last night? One!!
One fecking mistake in a gig we were recording and it was the second note of the grand finale encore........it was a corker,a total duffer! Still got the Blues, Gary Moore, chord pattern goes from D to G but I played D to A instead.
Couldn't believe it, neither could my band mates. They beat me with Klingon pain sticks afterwards, hmm, might be a mistake worth making again :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1358674380' post='1942984']
Last night? One!!
One fecking mistake in a gig we were recording and it was the second note of the grand finale encore........it was a corker,a total duffer! Still got the Blues, Gary Moore, chord pattern goes from D to G but I played D to A instead.
Couldn't believe it, neither could my band mates. They beat me with Klingon pain sticks afterwards, hmm, might be a mistake worth making again :)
[/quote]

Well it should have sounded OK because the second chord is actually F/G so by playing A in the bass you've just turned an Fadd2 to an plain F major inversion - hardly harmonic crime of the century.

Anyway if that were me, I would find a way the A fit over the first beat of F/G and play it again the next time round - maybe play something like | D Bb A G | A G G G|. This way I could claim it was deliberate all along B)

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1358678663' post='1943064']

Well it should have sounded OK because the second chord is actually F/G so by playing A in the bass you've just turned an Fadd2 to an plain F major inversion - hardly harmonic crime of the century.

Anyway if that were me, I would find a way the A fit over the first beat of F/G and play it again the next time round - maybe play something like | D Bb A G | A G G G|. This way I could claim it was deliberate all along B)
[/quote]

Well that went totally over my head *reaches for dust covered theory books in back of cupboard* :)

In truth I did slide rather sheepishly down to the G but probably about two beats too late to cover the cock up! But hey, we had a laugh which was all that mattered in the end.
Do you think at nearly 52yo I could be capable of reading music again? Learnt at school, joined a band when I left, forgot the lot! :)

Guest bassman7755

Let me try again:

The first 2 chords are Dm7 and F/G (meaning "F major with a G in the bass").
Your "mistake" was to play an A but since an F major chord is the notes F-A-C you still played a chord tone, thus it wouldn't have sounded too obnoxious.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1358681118' post='1943118']

Do you think at nearly 52yo I could be capable of reading music again? [/quote]
[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358696273' post='1943485']
Yes.
[/quote]

Glad you said yes Doddy. I'm trying to progress beyond the rudimentary at the age of 54.