Why become a member? ×

NBD, Squier JV Jazz content

deanovw

Well, I didn't expect to have another bass this week but you know how it goes...

A friend has had this bass for 30+ years and I have used it once and did try to buy it. He knew it was a Squier JV so wasnt prepared to give it away. I wasn't prepared to pay top dollar for it as it was 'tired' so we didn't agree on a price.

He used to have several rehearsal studios and this was a studio bass for all to use, hence its condition.

He contacted me a few days ago and offered it to me, the price was right and now its here.

Pics:

This is as i collected it.

Squier and Fender on the headstock

Shame someone tried to scratch it off

vintage style reverse tuners.

JV serial number

vintage threaded saddles

Date reads 21st July 1983 - I think!

EX is for export, no idea what the 8 is though

no idea, i think it reads 88

Pickups have copper shielding and cloth covered wires. The copper strip from the bridge to bridge pickup has been broken.

Cloth covered wires are still intact. The control plate and pots are not originals though.

So there you have it. Not too bad and it didn't cost silly money.

It needs a really good clean! Then I have a stack-pot control plate to go on it which although not original, should work well. I need to source a suitable tort scratchplate (anyone got out there got one?) and it will be good to go. I cant wait.

Edited by deanovw

New tort scratchplate ordered from the USA. The Bass Doc never responded to my pm. I read elsewhere he is very busy so thought it best not to hassle him.

I found a new in packaging Fender '62 one for less than £30. :D

I have also ordered some brass off cuts to see if I can reinstate the grounding strip under the bridge.

Edited by deanovw

The headstock doesn't look like the decal was "scratched off" on purpose to me. It looks like authentic wear, possibly a gig-in-a-pub incident. Nice score. Since this was the end of the "CBS" era, there are those who might consider this is actually a better quality bass than the USA made instruments at that time.

Edited by iiipopes

• 3 weeks later...

As promised here are some up to date pics.

The scratchplate and stack pot tone controls have been added. I have some brass off cuts for the bridge but I need some time to fiddle with that.

I know the stack pots are not correct but i much prefer them. The bass plays extremely well and sounds awesome. Even our guitarist said it sounded good last night. :D

The Harbourside, Charlestown. With Tumbao, a latin/funk band. Come and say hi if you do make it.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1355676132' post='1901233']
Where are you playing on the 29th? Might as well pop put and hear it in action!
[/quote]