Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision with 2 x P PUPs

Beedster

What do you think of this folks?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170123626907&rd=1&rd=1"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1[/url]

Sound wise, what is the bridge PUP gonna be like. Any potential problems with the PUP so close to the bridge (apart from probbaly not being able to fit a BADASS). Good buy or WOM?

Chris

[quote name='Musky' post='20419' date='Jun 19 2007, 08:53 PM']The pick up layout is like the old Precision Elite 2. Fender have never bothered to revisit this format, so I'd guess there's probably a good reason for it.

So I wouldn't either, though mostly because it just looks [i]wrong.[/i][/quote]

Fair point, although I'm not sure that lack of mass appeal necessarily makes for a bad bass. Anyone ever played a 2 P PUP Precision?
Chris

[quote name='Musky' post='20419' date='Jun 19 2007, 08:53 PM']The pick up layout is like the old Precision Elite 2. Fender have never bothered to revisit this format, so I'd guess there's probably a good reason for it.

So I wouldn't either, though mostly because it just looks [i]wrong.[/i][/quote]

The Precision Elite was just the same although they had sensor pickups. Don't know whether that was because they were so close to the bridge? They had well chunky bridges too. That looks like a Stingray bridge in the photo there Chris.

[quote name='Beedster' post='20424' date='Jun 19 2007, 09:06 PM']Anyone ever played a 2 P PUP Precision?[/quote]

I used to own this:

GREAT bass... amazing build quality. Punchy as anything, but I sold it because of the weight and ultra-wide, shallow neck profile.

The P pup in the bridge position was monstrous, though.

[quote name='Beedster' post='20409' date='Jun 19 2007, 08:41 PM']What do you think of this folks?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170123626907&rd=1&rd=1"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1[/url]

Sound wise, what is the bridge PUP gonna be like. Any potential problems with the PUP so close to the bridge (apart from probbaly not being able to fit a BADASS). Good buy or WOM?

Hi Chris[/quote]
Chris

My 80's BC Rich Eagle has the same pick-up configuration (with DiMarzios) and it sounds great; really punchy, bright but also capable of very mellow p-bass tones too. Very underrated I think...

How's it going with the Shergold by the way?

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='20523' date='Jun 19 2007, 11:57 PM']Chris

My 80's BC Rich Eagle has the same pick-up configuration (with DiMarzios) and it sounds great; really punchy, bright but also capable of very mellow p-bass tones too. Very underrated I think...

How's it going with the Shergold by the way?

Nik[/quote]

Cheers Nik
How you doing mate? Hope that SUB's stil working for you
Yes, I've got Kylie who's a Precision mongrel with a JPUP, I really fancy another mongrel Danni with a 2nd PPUP. We'll see...
Chris
PS Shergold hasn't been touched yet. Can't wait to get that finish off and see what's below! Plays and sounds great though, awesome neck :)

Edited by Beedster

I'd add that both my Tobias and Shuker Elite 6 (pretty much sold now) have soapbar pups with P style coils in them. I have a preference for those in the bridge position. Sweeter sounding I think. (well actually as long as they are not *too* close to the bridge itslef, J style pups sound nice in the bridge position too)

I did that same mod to a P bass many moons ago and it sounded great, gave you more range than fitting the traditional mod of a J pup. At least it looks like the routs are tidy, which is a plus. Shame you can't check it out before the sale ends and make him an offer. You can't view it as a potential investment (which I know you don't anyway) so the price would have to be based upon what would it cost you to build up a bass like that from component parts.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='20718' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:56 PM']Just seems wrong to me having a pup that close to the bridge. The amplitude of the strings vibration will be very small there.[/quote]

That's a fair point, the JPUP on Kylie (my mongrel blonde precision) is also very close to the bridge, so to get the same out of it as I get out of the P PUP I have to dig in quite a bit, which means I get the tone I was after in the first place i.e., growly! My problem is that I love the feel and sound of Precisions over all other basses I've played (and there's been a few) and, although I'm sure I could get thje sounds the bass in question is likely to prodce from a range of other basses, I'm keen to keep trying various PBass options. The PJ combination I have at present is lovely, the PM combination I had on my Precision Deluxe didn't really do it for me (although I don't think the crap Fender pre-amp helped much) and this is simply one I haven't tried yet. Doesn't perhaps bode well that Andy wants to sell it so soon after buying it, but horses for courses eh? Anyway, I did Andy a lovely deal last year, so I'm hoping he'll reciprocate this time around :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='20530' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:08 AM']Cheers Nik
How you doing mate? Hope that SUB's stil working for you
Yes, I've got Kylie who's a Precision mongrel with a JPUP, I really fancy another mongrel Danni with a 2nd PPUP. We'll see...
Chris
PS Shergold hasn't been touched yet. Can't wait to get that finish off and see what's below! Plays and sounds great though, awesome neck :)[/quote]
Am good thanks Chris and, yes, the SUB5 is still doing it for me. Did a gig last weekend and got a lot of comments on the sound and the look of it!

Seriously, I think you'll be suprised how good the 2 x PPUP combination sounds..

Looking at recent Ebay prices for Shergold Marathons, if you do restore yours to something more 'classic' in looks, then you'll be more than doubling your money I reckon. Anyway, hope to see you if the much talked about South East Bash does finally get to happen in August..

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='21115' date='Jun 20 2007, 11:08 PM']Am good thanks Chris and, yes, the SUB5 is still doing it for me. Did a gig last weekend and got a lot of comments on the sound and the look of it!

Seriously, I think you'll be suprised how good the 2 x PPUP combination sounds..

Looking at recent Ebay prices for Shergold Marathons, if you do restore yours to something more 'classic' in looks, then you'll be more than doubling your money I reckon. Anyway, hope to see you if the much talked about South East Bash does finally get to happen in August..

Nik[/quote]

Cheers Nik, yep, hope to be there with the newly refinned Shergold. Re selling it, I'd like to think it's a keeper but, well, you know me :)
Chris

The neck is indeed fabulous and she records great too. Finishes on the bay soon. Is £575 too expensive? Oh well if it dont sell it will stay here, but offers of course are welcomed.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1931"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1931[/url]