Why become a member? ×

Would like your opinion from your side of the pond..

TomRichards

Hello everyone! I'd like your opinion. I have been approached about a possible signature model that is based n this bass, the old Vaccaro Generator X. This one will have a maple neck, and slightly different pickguard style, Probably going to go with Seymour Duncan Hot or quarterpounder for single coil pickups though. Also, toying with 2 TEK bridge and Sperzel Locking Tuners.

Do you think, in a limited run, there might be interest in Europe?

I am maybe the most known player of the original Generator X basses, owning the only seafoam green one ever made.

Let me know.

Hi Tom . I am not familiar with the original model of this bass , but given the current trend towards more retro and quirky style instruments I would say that their would probably be intrest in this kind of bass from players in the modern/ alternative rock genre , or what here in the U.K is often referred to as "indie" bands . I like the look of the original with the bifurkated aluminium neck , and I would have to see the new design to give a proper opinion on the updated version . From your description , it sounds like this bass would be a mixture of the modern and traditional and I suppose it's success could depend on striking a balance between those things that appeals to other bass players . It must be exciting having the prospect of a signature model and having some input in the design of the bass . Best of luck with it !

I can see that having a market , depending on price point, of course . To me it's definitely a rock and pop music players bass , rather than funk/ sould /r&b , but thats purely on looks . I expect it would sound fine for those genres , but this is going to be one for the rockers , in my book .

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1353008504' post='1870517']
Is there enough strength in that little maple?
[/quote]

Yes. has a laminate as part of the headstock that increases strength to boot.

I already have a bass with the neck and headstock, different style body, one of a kind. I also have the Vaccaro Gen X. Never in my life did I think I'd get a signature model, but.... whoopeee!

In the thinking process, hopefully I can help the company make it a reality. Very limited run though, at least to start.

tom

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1353005081' post='1870447']
Hi Tom . I am not familiar with the original model of this bass , but given the current trend towards more retro and quirky style instruments I would say that their would probably be intrest in this kind of bass from players in the modern/ alternative rock genre , or what here in the U.K is often referred to as "indie" bands . I like the look of the original with the bifurkated aluminium neck , and I would have to see the new design to give a proper opinion on the updated version . From your description , it sounds like this bass would be a mixture of the modern and traditional and I suppose it's success could depend on striking a balance between those things that appeals to other bass players . It must be exciting having the prospect of a signature model and having some input in the design of the bass . Best of luck with it !
[/quote]

I learnt a new word today. :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1353599399' post='1876447']
What? Bifurcated?
I just keep looking at it (the headstock) and thinking "SNAP!"
Not that I'd wish that on anyone, but one good prang, and I fear it would no longer be.....
Bifurcated.
Just broken.
[/quote]

The original headstock was made of aluminium so it wouldn't have been a problem. OTH I still don't see what the problem is. Guitar building has come a long way from the 50s when Fender made everything strong simply by being lumpy. Withe the right woods, jointing and the use of carbon fibre re-enforcement if necessary there's no reason why this design can't be made out of wood. However IMO doing that negates the USP of the original.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1353606727' post='1876566']
the designer in me would redraw that body shape slightly. It's ugly at the mo, not far off but get someone with a visual eye to look at it.
[/quote]

Subjective. I like it. Plus we need more instruments that don't keep regurgitating the designs of the 50s.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1353624755' post='1876835']
Subjective. I like it. Plus we need more instruments that don't keep regurgitating the designs of the 50s.
[/quote] agreed, but I don't think it balances with itself the back half it too curvy or the front half is too pointy, I would go more pointy - I would move the apex of the bottom rear curve back a bit and make the angle sharper