Why become a member? ×

BC Genesis lovers....

wateroftyne

One of the most admirable things about Genesis is that they are so unashamedly a product of the English middle- class . They are the musical equivalent of a cup of Earl Grey tea or tennis at Wimbledon . To me all these records are the true sound of suburban Britain in the 1970s , far more so than the glam rock or punk rock that revisionist musical historians on BBC documentaries or in the broadsheet newspapers keep trying to tell us were the important musical movements of that decade . The truth is that Genesis and their ilk played far more of a role in the lives of young people in this country during that decade than anybody seems to want to admit nowadays .

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1353076896' post='1871361']
I would be in agreement were it not for the frankly hideous Battle of Epping Forest.
Such a shame, as the rest of the album is as close to perfection as anything, and the rest of the tracks are probably Genesis' finest.
[/quote]

If you haven't seen them, watch the interviews they did for the 5.1 remixes. They're all on YouTube.

They band talk very frankly about a lot of things (particularly Tony), including regret at making Epping Forest so busy.

The band (bar Hackett's) hatred of After the Ordeal will make you wince. Poor Steve.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1353076896' post='1871361']
I would be in agreement were it not for the frankly hideous Battle of Epping Forest.
Such a shame, as the rest of the album is as close to perfection as anything, and the rest of the tracks are probably Genesis' finest.
[/quote]

Also, Firth Of Fifth was a leftover from Foxtrot. Imagine having a song that good as a leftover.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1353077104' post='1871365']
The band (bar Hackett's) hatred of After the Ordeal will make you wince. Poor Steve.
[/quote]
Such an inoffensive song (although maybe thats what they disliked?) The ones I always skip are 'I know what I like' (sorry, never did it for me even in my uber-worship teenage days) and the frankly drippy 'More fool me'

I still think Hackett penned some of their finest work - Blood on the Rooftops, for example

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1353080394' post='1871434']
I saw the musical box a couple of times and they were fantastic, they even have a balding left handed drummer who sings!! I read that Peter Gabriel even took his daughter to see them to show her what Dad used to do. Check em out if you can.
[/quote]

Steve Hackett joined The Musical Box for an encore of "Firth Of Fifth" at the Royal Albert Hall the first time they played there. of course they'd already played it once in the main set. He sat down on stage with a look on his face that said "nice try, but check *this* out"

Pretty sure Mike and Tony were the audience that day as well.

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1353077104' post='1871365']
If you haven't seen them, watch the interviews they did for the 5.1 remixes. They're all on YouTube.

They band talk very frankly about a lot of things (particularly Tony), including regret at making Epping Forest so busy.

[/quote]

I'm sure my Dad has them - I'll have a look.

I never knew they had such contempt for After The Ordeal. I think it's beautiful, particularly coming after Battle.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1353070938' post='1871222']
From the same tour. F8ck me, I've come over all emotional

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiU79oS88cs[/media]
[/quote]

Awesome...just wonderful!

I love the way at about 8.30 Tony banks has to keep stabbing the mellotron cos the chords lasts longer than the tape loops, you don't hear that on 'Seconds Out'....Post production tweaks?

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1353077420' post='1871374']
Also, Firth Of Fifth was a leftover from Foxtrot. Imagine having a song that good as a leftover.
[/quote]

Well if you have a 'song' like Supper's Ready taking up the whole of one side and Watcher... on the other there was never going to be enough room for Firth of Fifth as well.

After looking at that Video and following links I've found the Whole 'six of the best' concert from 1982!!! Audio only sadly, but memory provides the rest!

Excited? hell yeah, I was there..in the 3rd row...getting soaked and stoked at the thought of seeing Genesis WITH PG...something I never thought would happen. Thats my evening sorted then.

Many Thanks to OP :)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1353069463' post='1871198']
My first ever gig as an excited 13 year old was Genesis at Earls Court on the tour that yielded Seconds Out. I will never ever forget Los Endos, the closer as all the lasers turned on full pelt as the main refrain kicked in. I've got goosebumps now
[/quote]

I was there too Clarky - I would have been 17 then. Los Endos was amazing but my 'goosebumps' moment was Phil Collins appearing in a cone of laser-light to sing '666' in Suppers Ready. Not ashamed to say I shed a tear or two that night - such power in their music.

Even more amazing was the first time I saw them at Bristol Hippodrome on the Wind and Wuthering tour. My Dad drove me up from Devon and waited around for me until the gig was over. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a gig since.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1353084854' post='1871516']
I'm sure my Dad has them - I'll have a look.

I never knew they had such contempt for After The Ordeal. I think it's beautiful, particularly coming after Battle.
[/quote]

Perhaps explains why Steve Hackett has endured so long and is still making great music to this day while Genesis faded away. One of the stand-out tracks on SEBTP IMO.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1353080394' post='1871434']
I saw the musical box a couple of times and they were fantastic, they even have a balding left handed drummer who sings!! I read that Peter Gabriel even took his daughter to see them to show her what Dad used to do. Check em out if you can.
[/quote]

Yeah, saw them do the whole of The Lamb this year. Very good it was too.

[quote name='simonc61' timestamp='1353104146' post='1871787']
Perhaps explains why Steve Hackett has endured so long and is still making great music to this day while Genesis faded away. One of the stand-out tracks on SEBTP IMO.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Of all the ex members of Genesis his solo output is consistantly my favourite, but at times I find listening to it rather frustrating, as if in places it seems a bit Genesis Lite. I can't help wondering what it would sound like with Gabriel singing, Collins drumming and Banks and Rutherford adding their influences and unique sounds and styles.

Steve Hackett leaving was definitely the beginning of the end for Genesis although they still managed to crack out a couple of damned good albums before they really went downhill. Not many musicians have produced creative and original music for 4 decades. Top marks Mr Hackett

After The Ordeal?!! I LOVE that song

Edited by DirkThrust

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1353180829' post='1872552']
steve hackett is my favourite solo from the band too but dont forget smallcreeps day with [b]the superb (and young) noel mccalla on vocals[/b]
[/quote]
You mean this [url="http://www.lonereviewer.de/Konzertberichte/Manfred_Mann_s_Earth_Band__Min/mmeb5.jpg"]Noel McCalla with the devilishly good looking bass player[/url] ;)
Spent nearly 20 years working with Noel, in the studio, but mostly on the road. 'Superb' is as good a word as any to describe Noel. One of the few vocalists in the business that can [b]really[/b] sell a song.

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1353072220' post='1871252']
For me, Selling England by The Pound is the greatest prog album ever.

Firth of Fith - just wow.
[/quote]

If anyone likes decent drumming (and Genesis) then this guy is well worth a look. He started out just putting a few vids of himself jamming along to Genesis tracks and it just grew from there. He now plays in iGenesis - a 'virtual' tribute band with the other two members being based in the US and Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZfDFrfLQ9E&feature=share&list=PL884491E976B9CAE9

In the early 80's Slade's sound engineer Charlie used to use "Turn It On Again" to test the PA once it was all put together & before the band turned up.
He reckoned it was the most perfect track he had to cover all the frequencies he needed to.
I wrote that in to Rick Wakeman on Planet Rock once, with the closing line "You haven't lived until you've heard "Turn It On Again" at 26,000 watts." Which Rick said was "Quote of the month".