Why become a member? ×

Which Fender Custom Shop Bass if Money Wasn't a Factor?

molan

I've played a few Fender Custom Shop basses now and have been really quite impressed with just how well they are made and, more importantly, sound. I realise that we should expect them to be top notch given the price premium over 'regular' Fenders but it does feel like some of the newer ones have seen them raise their game a little (or maybe I was just lucky!).

Certainly the Pino signatures seems to get rave reviews from just about everyone and the one I had for a short while was great. I also saw a Jaco model that looked seriously nice a while back which was much nicer than the Artist series ones I've seen.

So - purely for fun - if you didn't have to worry about how much it might set you back I wondered what the BC collective would ask the Custom Shop to build?

My starters would be:

1960 stack knob Jazz Herbie Flowers model in Lake Placid Blue with Fiesta Red undercoat & heavy relic finish with a tort guard.

1966 Jazz with a bound board and dots in a nicely faded Olympic White with matching headstock (because I like the way white matches the binding) and, again with a tort guard that looks like a 'proper' 60's aged one.

1977 Marcus Miller Jazz in natural with pearl blocks and a simple, high quality, active pre - basically an MM signature that's as close as possible to his original gigging bass & without the nasty scratchplate :)

There'd probably have to be an old looking P bass in Burgundy Mist with a slim neck and a pearloid plate plus a 64J in Shell Pink along the way as well, lol.

Haven't really thought about crazier colour schemes or hybrid body / neck combinations yet. . .

Wow , this is a good question ! Straight off the bat I would have to say a late 60s / early 70s Jazz Bass in sunburst , rosewood board with blocks and binding and I would have them put a Badass bridge on it , and some really hot pickups like Di Marzios, or some Seymour Duncan Custom Shop creations . No doubt I will be getting back to you later with some more ideas...

I would have liked a Richard Sinclair signature Jazz bass but when I met Richard he told me his dad had made it!

However, I really would like to see a replica model of Dave Peg's Precision. He used it for the classic Island Records recordings for Nick Drake, Fairport and so on, plus he visited Leo Fender with it and he routed in (personally I believe) a Jazz bridge pickup. I now wished I'd taken a big breath and bought this bass when it was sold by Dave on eBay about four years a go.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1352896585' post='1868943']

1960 stack knob Jazz Herbie Flowers model in Lake Placid Blue with Fiesta Red undercoat & heavy relic finish with a tort guard.

[/quote]

I was going to say this.. but then I would try and convince Wes to make one as he had made a brill looking copy.... then realised that you own it! oh well! :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1352896585' post='1868943']

[/quote]

I was going to say this.. but then I would try and convince Wes to make one as he had made a brill looking copy.... then realised that you own it! oh well! :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1352896796' post='1868947']
Well the only Fender CS bass I`ve played was Clarkys Pino Signature Precision, and it was amazing, so I`ll have to go with what I know.
[/quote]
And it still is amazing! I should never have let it go in the first place...

If I had free choice and money no object the only slight variation would be a Pino, but in sonic blue. Lack of imagination rules :) If I trusted anyone enough maybe I could get mine refinished *gasp*

Their attention to detail is not always great, although better than Bravewood etc in my experience, they could do sooo much better though, with the resources at their disposal.

For me though, it would be a '65 Jazz, dot neck, burgundy mist, matching headstock, white guard (they can't make tort guards for toffee, not that it should have a tort guard...just saying!), chrome covers, medium Relic. Black tolex case, red lining.