Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN - Wood&tronics Chronos 'Klimt'

mcgraham

[b]WITHDRAWN[/b]

Due to a change in direction I'm keeping this bass.

Got this from BassDirect from new about 4-5 years ago, but haven't used it at all for 2-3 years since I got my custom W&T fretless. The only reason I'm selling is that I literally [u][i]only[/i][/u] use the fretless - I do love both of them, but I'm a one-bass person and the fretless is just THAT good. You can ask a laaaarge number of people on BC who've played this bass, silverfoxnik tauzero pantherairsoft simon1964 and a host of others. It's in Nottingham if anyone is interested.

Specs

[left][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]TOP [/size][/font]- Figured Poplar[/left]

[left][color=#58596B][font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]BODY [/size][/font]- American Walnut with Alder Heal Block[/size][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#58596B][font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]NECK[/size][/font][font=TrebuchetMS,]: 7-piece Zebrawood-Padouk-Maple-Ash-Maple-Padouk-Zebrawood[/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[left]^--- this is a special order one that they don't do anymore due its complexity. This is the 'wood recipe' that makes this the 'Klimt' model of Chronos.[/left]

[left][color=#58596B][font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]SCALE[/size][/font][font=TrebuchetMS,]: 33" with [b]26 banjo frets[/b], for a fast playing action[/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#58596B][font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]FINGERBOARD[/size][/font][font=TrebuchetMS,]: Ebony[/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#58596B][font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]PICKUPS[/size][/font][font=TrebuchetMS,]: Custom Armstrong Dual Coils with outer coils in the 60s jazz position[/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#58596B][font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]ELECTRONICS[/size][/font][font=TrebuchetMS,]: East/W&T U-Retro w/new layout + Series/Single/Parallel toggle switch for each pickup[/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#58596B][font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]BRIDGE[/size][/font][font=TrebuchetMS,]: ETS[/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#58596B][font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][font=Arial-BoldMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]TUNERS[/size][/font][font=TrebuchetMS,]: Hipshot ULTRALITES [/font][/size][/font][/color][/left]

And to include the answers from a few questions:
Weight: 7-8 pounds
String spacing: 19mm
Tuning: E A D G C

If you want samples:
www.soundcloud.com/mcgrahamhk - any bass solo track like Giant Steps and the multiple Blue Bossa tracks were recorded with this bass direct.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark

WOW. Shocked this is being moved on. That said, I also see you as a Fretless player an you always seem more at home on the Fretless.

People - this bass is a real special one. One of (if not THE) most amazing neck I've tried on a W&T bass and has been kept in fantastic condition. Ill actually miss not being able to play this at Marks place!

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1352756660' post='1867164']
My Gretsch could be yours if you were fretted semi acoustic style bass inclined ;)
[/quote]
Phwoar. Awesome vintage looking bass... but I must decline. If I don't play THIS bass I have for sale, I certainly won't play anything else.

You're very welcome to swing by of a morning/afternoon and give it a whirl anyway.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1352760820' post='1867228']
A few quick questions :

Do you string it B to G or E to C?

What's the bridge string spacing?

Have you got an approx idea of how much it weighs?
[/quote]

Hey Molan

1) I string it E-C - it's never been strung B-G. I believe the nut can be tapped out easily to replace, but I've never been inclined that way.

2) The bridge spacing is 19mm between strings.

3) I think it's about 7-8 pounds. I weighed it when I was hanging out with pantherairsoft so he should be able to verify this

Incidentally, because my fretless is about 5.5 lbs (yes) it's hard to get a vibe for how heavy this one is.

Also incidentally, I've always loved your taste in basses. You should come over to check it out... purely so I can check out one of your Fodera's :)

Kuz, I think it's partly my mentality and playing attitude that has resulted in this. Also, I had another knowledgeable bassist like pantherairsoft cause me to take a step back and listen to what I was doing on the fretless, as I didn't get any inkling that I sounded different between the two. Now that I realise what I do differently I realise that the fretless is far better for me than the fretted, and I can achieve a lot more on my fretless than any other.

But then the fretless is such a special piece, if there's ever anything I can't play on it, it will NEVER be the bass's fault.

Hi Mark

This is beautiful looking instrument and it plays/sounds every bit as good as it looks! I've always liked W&T designs and this is one of their best IMHO..

Really interesting to hear your comments and Shep's observations about:

"..my 'at-home-ness' on fretless that helped me gain some perspective on where I shine most as a player"

as I think that's a question many of us never really get to grips with.. I'm currently debating with myself at the moment about whether i actually prefer playing and 'shine' more as a 4-string player.. Yet I've used 5 string basses consistently now for over 20 years! It must be really liberating to finally come to a decision on it..

Anyway, that's enough of me derailing your For Sale thread with my ramblings. :)

All the best and good luck with the sale!

Nik

Cheers Nik!

Like you say, it's great to come to a realisation of where you shine most, but I think it often requires someone you know and trust to make such a comment. I can now take a step back and say that the fretless makes me play better, and I stand out (musically) more when I have the options/limitations that a fretless provides me with.

Perhaps just get together with a few bass player mates and compare playing on different basses, see what they think!

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1352797048' post='1867429']
Kuz, I think it's partly my mentality and playing attitude that has resulted in this. Also, I had another knowledgeable bassist like pantherairsoft cause me to take a step back and listen to what I was doing on the fretless, as I didn't get any inkling that I sounded different between the two. Now that I realise what I do differently I realise that the fretless is far better for me than the fretted, and I can achieve a lot more on my fretless than any other.

But then the fretless is such a special piece, if there's ever anything I can't play on it, it will NEVER be the bass's fault.
[/quote]

I must admit your words have started a whole flow of thoughts (if one may say so in English). But while I am swimming in this flow staring at this beauty, let it go up!