Why become a member? ×

New small badge '82 Squier Jazz

bassninja

A good mate of mine, knowing I was fond Fenders, secured an early r/n s/b Squier Jazz bass in a house clearance, and has given it to me on permanent loan. He's kindly allowed me to keep it and gig it for as long as I want, but if I ever sell it, I have to sell it back to him for the £50 I paid him to de-clag it and get it playable (yes, he [i]is[/i] a good mate). I know this sounds a bit 'Antiques Roadshow', but I've no idea how much its worth for (you guessed it!) insurance purposes.

It has the large Fender decal with the small 'Squier series' logo. I understand this dates it to within the first couple of weeks of production in Japan, and makes it a bit of a rarity. I haven't had the neck off yet, but [url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/index.htm"]http://www.21frets.c...er_jv/index.htm[/url] seems to indicate that it was made between May and July 1982. The serial no. is JV 052xx

[center][attachment=123449:IMAG0279.jpg][/center]

[center][attachment=123450:IMAG0281.jpg][/center]

[center](with apologies for the phone quality pics)[/center]

[center][attachment=123529:SDC10213.JPG][/center]

It needed re-wiring, a good general clean up, and the bridge needed soaking in WD40 for a couple of days to get the moving parts working. Looking at the knackered strings that were on it, I reckon he must have needed an angle grinder to get them off.

It had been stored for the last 17 years in a 'period' hardcase against the wall of an unheated garage, vertically with the headstock downwards (!). Sadly, it seems to have sat in some liquid at some point, and the lacquer has blown on the headstock a bit. This has been remedied by the judicious application of some technical sticky luthier type substance, but its remains stained as you can see. However, the neck is straight as a die, with an almost ebony-dark rosewood board, and it plays like a dream.

Its the most comfortable and best sounding Jazz I've ever owned, including my lovely Marcus (no offense, Shonks).

I don't want to sell it (I can't anyway), but any advice or guidance is gratefully received.

Edited by bassninja

V nice bass -I have just checked your photos against my early jv Jazz jv08xxx, which has the large Fender logo. The tuners are definitely different, perhaps the originals were rusty. Enjoy it, as I have with mine since the early 80s.

Lovely. As Luke says, tuners are switched, but if it was sitting in liquid, head first, then they had probably rusted, nevertheless, rare bass, real shame about the headstock though.
If the neck has survived any playability damage, then it will be a fine bass to play, one of the best, the headstock, tuners, and lack of pickguard will stop it reaching investment/collectors pricing levels, but certainly worth £700 of anyones money if it plays well.

Nice find.