Why become a member? ×

Broken Genz Benz 9.0 head

rushers

Thanks to my own idiocy I managed to 'blow up' my Amp head by switching the input voltage from 320 to 115 on the back of the amp....while it was on.

This resulted in the amp no longer functioning and I've had to send it back to Fender/Genz Benz.

I've been contacted by the helpful people at Fender, informing me that ''the amp needs a new power module".

My question to you wonderful people is - Is it worth paying the £218 to get it fixed? (including cost of part,labour and VAT) or should I save and buy a new head? OR find a independent amp geek to fix it for cheaper?

Cheers

That's a depressingly expense mistake you made there. Have really got any advice but wanted to express some sympathy :)

Assuming they have made the correct diagnosis, I guess some research might be worthwhile, to find the cost of the module and then you would be in a position to get quotes to have it installed by someone else.

[quote name='rushers' timestamp='1352511244' post='1864191']
Thanks to my own idiocy I managed to 'blow up' my Amp head by switching the input voltage from 320 to 115 on the back of the amp....while it was on.[/quote]I think that you meant 230V and not 320. Ideally, one should learn from other people's mistakes. In your case you have to learn from your own mistakes and £218 is the cost of learning. I hope you will never try to do it again :) .
My suggestion is to open the amp and make a photo of the power supply module. It is switching power supply (most probably together with a class-D power amp). I don't know which module it is there but usually such modules have a fuse on the circuit board and mayby this is just a matter of replacing the fuse. It may be not that easy since sometimes the fuse is soldered to the board. The price that you got is for replacing the module and not fixing it. But maybe it can be fixed. If you post the photo, I may try to tell you what could be the problem.

Edit: I wonder if you find that this is Bang & Olufsen Icepower 125ASX2 module, which has a (removable) fuse and all that has failed is the fuse? In this case you would be very lucky and you could fix the amp on your own.

Mark

Edited by MarkBassChat

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1352573326' post='1864820']
Can I ask why you decided to switch the voltage while it was on?
[/quote]

I wasn't really concentrating on what I was doing and I'd never noticed the switch before. I didn't really anticipate my head to explode at the flick of a switch :s

If the overall condition of the amp is good then if it were me I would probably go for the repair with Fender / Genz. A quick search on Google is not coming up with either repairer's or stockist of spares so even if you are able to locate a friendly amp technician it is unlikely that he will be able to get spares unless the power module can be repaired down to component level. Working on switched mode power supplies can be quite tricky and unless you have comprehensive circuit diagrams and service information then they can be difficult to diagnose and fault locate. This is probably why Fender / Genz have simply quoted you to replace the complete module.

It depends on how friendly the UK service agents are as to releasing circuit diagram and other technical information and if they don't then even someone who repairs amps is going to have a bit of a challenge on his hands. Also if Fender / Genz do carry out the repair then hopefully you will get 6 or even 12 months warranty on the repair work.

Doing the maths, if you have your unit repaired by Fender / Genz then it will still be cheaper that buying even a used GB 9.0.

It's a bitter pill to swallow but as long as you learn from your mistake then at least something positive has come out of this.

A final though, it may just be worth giving Mark at Bass Direct a quick call as he may be able to suggest other alternatives and he is only 1 or 2 junctions up the M40 motorway from you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

If you look at the photo of the Icepower 125ASX2 module: [url="http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/news/news?id=20"]http://www.icepower....news/news?id=20[/url] you will se a fuse (in the bottom-right corner). Check if it's not open. Of course the amp has to be disconnected from mains power supply - but you know this, right?
If changing the fuse does not help, it means that transistors on the PC board are shorted. This can be fixed but requires some advanced skills (desoldering high power SMD components - without destroying the board).

EDIT: here: [url="http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/files/solutions/icepower125asx2_datasheet_1_1.pdf"]http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/files/solutions/icepower125asx2_datasheet_1_1.pdf[/url] you have slightly better picture. FH200 symbol in the bottom-left corner.

Mark

Edited by MarkBassChat

• 5 years later...