Why become a member? ×

Is going to a 62 Jazz set-up a good idea?

Prunesquallor

OK, here's one...

I have a Squier VMJ which I'm going to tart up in the New Year. This will include upgrading the pups, so it'd be a good time to tinker around with the electronics for extra versatility.

I've already decided I'm going to fit a series/parallel switch, but what I can't decide is whether I should stick with the pots as is, or whether I should go for the 62 Jazz set-up - in other words, stacked tone and volume pots for each pickup.

I'll be using the bass for all kinds of music, from rock to reggae and funk and back again. Would putting in the 62 set-up be worth it? Are the extra tones you get that usable, or do the hassle and cost outweigh these? Are the stacked knobs a hassle onstage, for that matter? Any other cons?

I'd appreciate your feedback, guys and gals. :)

Hey Neil.

Good question, I have a Stacker 62 re-issue and I love it. Personally I think you can get all the usual Jazz tones and a few more besides, very versatile. You can get great Reggae sounds by backing the tone off on the front pickup and shutting down the bridge pickup altogether. Use the front pick up alone with tone control to taste and a pick for precision-esq rock tones. + Obviously with a Jazz that funk sound is only a bit of bridge pick up away...

I have had a fair few Jazzes and this one is my favorite by some distance. People often talk about that "sweet spot" on a Jazz where you get "that" tone and extra presence If you have played one you will instantly hear it when you have it dialled in.... To me there are 2 sweet spots on a stacker though... so that's a bonus!! Pretty easy to get the hang of controls too, I guess it all comes down to personal taste really but I am quite bemused that the standard VVT setup became the norm on the jazz.... No doubt the proper Fender experts will be along shortly with a potted history of why etc....

As always, try first or buy a secondhand control plate is the way to go I guess... :)

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1352476651' post='1863612']

Surely, I can get the soloed sounds with the standard V/V/T configuration, though, or am I missing something?

[/quote]

Yeah sure you can, that's all still much the same, however, you can for example add some bridge pick up with the tone rolled off to your classic front pick up, flat out sound, which sounds really good and is impossible with the VVT..

Not saying it adds loads... just adds another dimension whilst retaining all your usual jazz tones.. ;)

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1352476863' post='1863616']I suppose one consideration is how you want to fit the series/parallel switch - push/pull pot or microswitch.[/quote]

I've decided to go microswitch. Just seems more logical to me, although it probably won't look as neat.

[quote name='TommyK' timestamp='1352476983' post='1863622']You can for example add some bridge pick up with the tone rolled off to your classic front pick up, flat out sound, which sounds really good and is impossible with the VVT...[/quote]

Getcha! That sounds like fun.

I had a mexican Classic 50's P that i pimped with a humbucker from the deluxe on the bridge position. I used the '62 wiring with vol/tone for each pickup and on the P pickup i used a .10uf cap that rolled the treble to a true reggae dub. used together i got the feeling that the EQ possibilities were far better than using the vol/vol/tone wiring i got on my J. The only thing to have in mind is to be sure to use resistors coming out of each pot so you can eliminate crosstalk between pickups. Stacked vol/tone will get my vote any time for any J or PJ type of passive bass, i think the only reason Fender changed the wiring was to save some bucks.