Why become a member? ×

Talk me out of an MB Fusion

subrob

Before I go and buy one. I've got approx £600 to spend, that's the sort of power and feature set I'm after... The valve warmth and low weight do appeal. I do need some power as most of the use will come with a very loud thrash band.

I'm driving a couple of peavey cabs with a music man sub 4, and looking for a deep 'crunch'. I'm not a fan of finger squeak so it'll need a controlled top end.

What dya think folks? Am I looking in the right place with the mb? I'd love to try one but there isn't one locally. I can live with taking a chance on it...

Cheers

I have an mb fusion. If you get one you'll get some serious Crunch and tube OD - which the treble knob can smooth out to a warm fuzzy tone that can bring me to a special tonal space. Try it for yourself.

If you're getting one new, you can probably return it if you don't like it.
You'll probably like it.

Have you had your encouragement?

Are you not entertained!!!

Yeah, next time don't come here looking for discouragement. Rock on!!!

Buy one of these and watch the guitarists in your band tremble before your [u][b]AWESOMENESS![/b][/u]

[b][size=2][i]Warning Bugera will not be responsible for death or injury or damage to property - use at own risk.[/i][/size][/b]

[url="http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/BTX36000.aspx"]http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/BTX36000.aspx[/url]

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1352413289' post='1862874']
I've never bought a bass amp before so perhaps a little encouragement was all that I needed...

'bugrit'. Now where's my credit card...?

Thanks all :o)
[/quote]

My strong advice is not to concentrate all of one's budget into one item - if you are happy with your cab or cabs and basses, then by all means put the bulk of it into a head.

Check out the return policy of the place you buy it from, you can't be certain till you try it.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1352411398' post='1862841']
Buy one of these and watch the guitarists in your band tremble before your [u][b]AWESOMENESS![/b][/u]

[b][size=2][i]Warning Bugera will not be responsible for death or injury or damage to property - use at own risk.[/i][/size][/b]

[url="http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/BTX36000.aspx"]http://www.bugera-am...s/BTX36000.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

+1...I've heard the Fusion is kind of "toyish" but with good sound/weight.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1352416343' post='1862921']
+1...I've heard the Fusion is kind of "toyish" but with good sound/weight.
[/quote]

It's like a laptop in weight - and not a heavy one. The controls feel good and are accurate & usable. All buttons feel good and can be used without looking (although the lights help in loud situations).
Overall, it seems fairly rugged, but not something I'd feel confident dropping down a flight of stairs.

Sound is very nice, with a lot of variety. So far I can find a use for everything but the contour. Scoop my mids? I'm boosting them pretty much always as the head has a slightly scooped sound when the EQ is flat.

I do love mine, I have used it all this year for home practise and Big band jazz gigs etc. I use the contour alot, to scoop the right amount of low mid so i can get great low end weight and warmth. I have returned to my Markbass LMK for some fuction band gigs for its more articulate upper mid cut. It would be best to try one at volume. The manual is spot on for advice and can be down loaded in advance. But as it states the gain is critical, I dont want grit and distortion so keep the gain low and out put up, also the contour can loose you bite and presence when beyond 12 oclock. So I find if you are playing at volume and you need to cut through in a loud band situation keep the gain low use the main volume control and reduce the contour to below 10 o'clock or less. I do not use the channel switch and despite the 500 watts on offer prefer it for low volume gigs where it sounds fantastic, at higher volumes you may like to add a graphic pedal to pin piont and cut out the bloom. It can get wooly if you over do the controls.
I would buy again

The MB Fusion is immensely powerful though. I couldn`t use mine on much more than 3 on volume. It also sounds very GK-like when played on its own, but in the mix it is a lot thicker sounding, and has a fairly warm presence. I`ve read it described on Talkbass as the least GK sounding amp GK make.

Initial report, for what its worth. Just 5 piibts for now as I will need to spend some tine fiddling. Ive no drummer to compete with atm so volume levels were relatively restrained.

1. The twin channels. Is there a clear difference in voicing or gain? I found it to be quite subtle.

2. The first thing I did was something that resembled bottoming out the power supply. I'll need to experiment with that, I couldn't repeat it when it had warmed up a little. The limiter will no doubt prove to be essential.

3. The toppyness previously mentioned... through my dirty old peavey cabs, I found the hf rather smooth, no harshness in sight.

4. The deep switch. Magnificent.

5. With the mm sub ramped up at full tilt and eq set roughly null, pad engaged, channel b gain wound all the way up... produced every inch the gorgeous growl, really full bodied with it. This tone setting in particular appeared very complementary to the distorted guitars around me.

I'm really pleased with it. There's lots more fettling to be done yet, but it's made a great start.

Cheers all!

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1352764125' post='1867284']
Initial report, for what its worth. Just 5 piibts for now as I will need to spend some tine fiddling. Ive no drummer to compete with atm so volume levels were relatively restrained.

1. The twin channels. Is there a clear difference in voicing or gain? I found it to be quite subtle.
<snip>

4. The deep switch. Magnificent.
[/quote]

1. Depends how you set the gain. I set Channel A with relatively low gain to keep it clean, and Channel B with almost totally cranked gain to get a big ol' dirty mess :)

4. Absolutely. Unless you happen to be gigging the new Barefaced prototype in which case turn it off before the walls and roof land on your head. ;)