Why become a member? ×

suitable extension cab for GK MB150

wriggers

[quote name='wriggers' timestamp='1352317984' post='1861647']
Hi all

Thomann are selling the GK 212MBE rated at 600W @8 ohms. Would this be a suitable/good match for my MB150s. Please bear in mind that anything too technical becomes like driftweed in my mind. Hope that I can get an answer from you lovely people

Cheers

Paul
[/quote]

Maybe - maybe not.

Mixing driver sizes (i.e. 12" and 15") and mixing driver types - eg. 2 different types of 12" drivers - produces unpredictable results.
A matching driver - 115 akin to the 150s's will likely be a safer bet.

I am no expert but that's the advice I've heard repeated in these threads. The 112MBX extension cab [url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/combos/"]http://www.gallien-k...roducts/combos/[/url] may work with it - It's from the same line, but is a 112 rather than a 115 - if matched it may work. Kind of like the Compact and Midget stack from barefaced:

Sorry if I got slightly technical. Hope you get a good match.
I'd recommend contacting GK directly, as they will probably have advice on this.

EDIT: Wait a second! the MB150s isn't a 115 cab!
The MBX extension is probably the one to go for IMHO.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gallien_krueger_mbx112.htm

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='wriggers' timestamp='1352393718' post='1862546']
Thanks for that Mr PlungerModerno. Email back from GK also said MBX112. So it looks like it will be one of those lads. They're a bit more expensive than the 212MBE's but hey ho!
[/quote]

The mbx's are from an older line - which is aimed at more studio type stuff (like the MB150s and similar combo's).
I've heard the MBE line are voiced in a way some people find unpleasant, and add some bracing and dampening material to change the way they sound. They have been called a more budget cab than the mbx112. AFAIK that's pretty much the case, and while the 212 may be good, and work well with your combo - the extension cab will likely be the best sounding, if not the loudest option.

Enjoy the increased clarity and headroom at volume. I've heard those amps are very good. They are on my shortlist if I get another combo! B)

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1352411295' post='1862840']
You can also buy the woofer alone (€109) and build a wooden cabinet with the same volume. €140 and a few hours of work and you're set. :D
[/quote]

Not a bad Idea. You'd want to get some good light and tough ply to keep it to the GK specs - 5.5kg or 16lbs http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/combos/

Still, it could be done!

I've tried that combo with the onboard speaker and with the external cab... well, the difference using two woofers is huge, much bigger than I thought. So yes, I'd certainly buy the woofer and would make a cab for it with some marine-grade plywood (12mm). I would be light and you could spray it with black paint so it looks ok under the combo.

I was in GAK one day and tried an MB150S amp (bypassing the internal speaker) into a GK 210 and it sounded great. I have also gigged with a borrowed MB150S and a TE 210 cab. It was too quiet but the tone was very good.

Running an 8 ohm 212 with 90 watts might leave you feeling slightly underpowered. Do they do a 4 ohm version?

If you want to use the potential oomph that a 212 brings I'd get a more powerful amp (GK MB-500) as well and just use your combo for small gigs and at home.

If you really want to just add an extension cab I'd be looking at the MBX112 or preferably the GK Neo 112 II.