Why become a member? ×

Improvements to the Marketplace.

Kiwi

Ped, I'm pretty sure you don't understand my source of frustration with the current transitional system, so I'll spell it out. As a buyer, say I spend 30 minutes per day on the forum market place. In the present transitional phase that means I then have to spend another 30 minutes repeating my searches in the new classifieds section, and i need to do this because, in the absence of any recommendations from basschat mods, I can't predict whether sellers are going to post only in classfieds, only on the marketplace (forums) or both.

Being absolutely clear, the absence of a Basschat policy for sellers is doubling the amount of time I, and I presume every other buyer on basschat, is having to spend on the site.

That was what was behind my questions. But rather than asking you again to answer them, why don't I get straight to it and make my own

[center][size=6][u][b]RECOMMENDATION[/b][/u][/size][/center]

Sellers, please make sure that if you post an advert in the new classifieds, that you also post at the least a link to your classified in the old marketplace. An informative title plus a link is all that's necessary, to save all the potential buyers have to spend time searching both classifieds and market place (forums) in the transitional phase.

[center][u][b]End of Recommendation[/b][/u][/center]

That's a personal recommendation as it stands, but I'd be more than happy for basschat to adopt it, or something else that fullfils the same needs.

Thanks to anyone already doing this and thanks in advance to anyone who starts doing it having read this post.

Andy

'Tis a fair point. The way I look at it is this:

Basschat is a street full of people, chatting away. Previously, the street had shops on it. While people were chatting, they sometimes saw something in a shop window that interested them.

Now, the shops have been relocated to an alleyway off the street. The only people who go there are people looking for something to buy and know where to go, or those casual browsers who remember to pop in on the way past.

...of course, it could be that there's still a big chunk of development to come that will integrate the classifieds with the wider community. If that's the case, ignore everything I'm rambling on about. :-)

To extend the metaphor, I don't really have problem with the shops being in the alleyway (I completely understand that motivation is revenue to be fed into basschat improvements) but I am bothered about the transition where I need to visit the alleyway AND the high street, doubling my shopping time.

But I also appreciate the point about integration.

Sorry for this one but I can't upload pics to my add in the classifieds even when I select the gallery option.
Am I missing something ??
Cheers.
ps, I'd be happy to pay £1.75 for an add on the old style for sale section.........just sayin' like.
B)

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1353784394' post='1878492']
Sorry for this one but I can't upload pics to my add in the classifieds even when I select the gallery option.
Am I missing something ??
Cheers.
ps, I'd be happy to pay £1.75 for an add on the old style for sale section.........just sayin' like.
B)
[/quote]

Me too. Happy to pay a listing fee of sorts or chuck in a few quid.

Ped

Can you tweak the classifieds section so that it displays more of the headline?
Either smaller type or larger space etc.

At the moment it cuts them off really early so you get loads of headlines like:

Fender Precision Bass in Blu..........

5 String Warwick B...........

It looks OK, or will do when photos appear. I've not been buying for a few months and when I went back to the marketplace it seemed to be full of people I've never heard of just joining to sell something. Most of these new ads are lazy and lack the important info. the best thing fo me about the new layout is that there is now a location field. I like to try basses before I buy, and there is nothing more irritating than sending a PM, only to find they're up the other end of the country, or somewhere else in Europe. It amazes me how many people on here think someone is going to shell out £2K+ based on a one liner and no photo (or one camera phone job taken at night after a visit to the pub). I'd hope that the new layout will force sellers to at least provide basic info (like the price).
I'd be happy to pay the fee for a premium ad and also donate once a bass is sold. Keep up the good work!

[quote name='ted_manzie' timestamp='1353926014' post='1879684']
Ped

Can you tweak the classifieds section so that it displays more of the headline?
Either smaller type or larger space etc.

At the moment  it cuts them off really early so you get loads of headlines like:

Fender Precision Bass in Blu..........

5 String Warwick B...........
[/quote]

+1 please :)Personally I'd prefer more items to the page as well.

Edited by alyctes

I appreciate it's a work in progress but like Mr Horse once said, "No sir.... I don't like it". The marketplace has always been the spark of life for this forum and now that the new listings have lost their linear, conversational vibe for me the forum seems slower and... duller. Rare, coveted or keenly priced items generate more replies in sale threads and stay near the top of the board, whilst less exciting overpriced items sink quickly only to return to view briefly with the echo of a "bump.... bump........ pricedrop.... anybody?". That's a dynamism that the new classifieds lack.

I can't see the interaction between members that would normally take place in the old marketplace spilling out into the other forums and I can't imagine why it would. Questions asked in the new classifieds seem non existant and as the number of basses for sale grows I guess will mainly come to consist of.. "is this item still for sale?"

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1353943037' post='1880002']
I appreciate it's a work in progress but like Mr Horse once said, "No sir.... I don't like it". The marketplace has always been the spark of life for this forum and now that the new listings have lost their linear, conversational vibe for me the forum seems slower and... duller. Rare, coveted or keenly priced items generate more replies in sale threads and stay near the top of the board, whilst less exciting overpriced items sink quickly only to return to view briefly with the echo of a "bump.... bump........ pricedrop.... anybody?". That's a dynamism that the new classifieds lack.

I can't see the interaction between members that would normally take place in the old marketplace spilling out into the other forums and I can't imagine why it would. Questions asked in the new classifieds seem non existant and as the number of basses for sale grows I guess will mainly come to consist of.. "is this item still for sale?"
[/quote]I have begun to sympathise with this view about the new classifieds, it has lost its dynamism, chat, interaction etc all of the above basically. I would vote for a return to the old forum with a £'s advertising/listing cost. I realise it is being born but in some ways its a bit too slick and impersonal for BC. hummmmmm..

[/quote]

+1
this is it in a nutshell.

For me the lack of chat and interaction in the new Classified section and (even with it faults) the ability to bump a thread is a negative, the old system is fun and often informative, I read comments and learn stuff about basses for sale that I have no interest in actually buying, it's a place to browse just like other parts of Basschat not just to buy and sell, I fear that's not going to be the case going forward.

The general concept of paying for the privilege of placing an ad I think is a good one, as is the box for filling in the price before being able to post the thread.

I know its early days for the classifieds but just as a matter of interest I placed my Warwick for sale roughly at the same time as somebody else placed their Warwick for sale. The other bass has around twice the views as my one. I was under the impression that all new listings were to be placed in the new section, I obviously misread something somewhere! :blush:

I don't want to moan, and I appreciate that a lot of work must have gone into the new classifieds, but please can we keep the old ones.
I don't mind paying up front for an ad.

I know it's early days, but the new bit just seems cold, impersonal, and hard to look at.

Sorry if I've upset anyone.

[/quote]

+1 - the site is called Basschat after all!

Why not add a discussion section under each ad?

Count me as another one who prefers the old marketplace - partly because the marketplace is part of the forum, while the classifieds section is outside it.

I'm not particularly happy with the case adjustment on the advert headings - I just put up an advert for an EA iAmp800 in SKB rack case, and, presumably parsing the first two letters as both upper-case and assuming I'm an imbecile who posts everything in upper-case, the software has reset the whole lot into "I'm An Imbecile Who Posts In Upper Case But This Is Less Shouty" case.

EA iAmp800 in SKB rack case - good
Ea Iamp800 In Skb Rack Case - bad

I notice that there's a PRS (sorry, Prs) seller who's suffered the same.

I have a couple of questions/observations:

Search doesn't seem to work - I searched for "Precision", and it only returned one listing (not for a Precision, although the ad does mention the word)

Although sold items show up as sold on the list page, the actual advert page doesn't show this anywhere, so if you bookmark an advert, you've got no way of knowing the item has been sold.

What does the "Watch Advert" feature do? Is there an eBay-style watch list somewhere?

Like a lot of the commenters on here, I miss the back and forth one could have with the old style forum - I've learned a lot just from trawling old 'For sale' threads. It's a lot a less 'mobile phone friendly' than before too (at the moment at least) which is a bit of a pain....in fact, on my android phone, I've no longer got the mobile version of the site. I can click away on the 'use mobile version' button forever and I still get the mini version of the computer based site. Gosh darn it! Is it just me...?

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1354135419' post='1882653']
on my android phone, I've no longer got the mobile version of the site. I can click away on the 'use mobile version' button forever and I still get the mini version of the computer based site. Gosh darn it! Is it just me...?
[/quote]

No, it's the site, not you. There are a couple (maybe more) of threads on the topic e.g. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193021-no-lo-fi-version/"]this one[/url].