Why become a member? ×

Bass shops in Central London

Black Coffee

I have a visit to London planned early next year and I might have a couple of hours to kill; and the choice between browsing the likes of Primark in Oxford St with the boss or browsing bass guitar shops is not a difficult one to have to make. Sorry Primark, but brown bags and middle aged trolley rage doesn't do it for me.
Problem is - I always hear that it's good for guitar shops in Central London. But, as I don't know the capital that well, can anyone point me in the right direction.
If there are issues with advertising businesses in the rules, and you can't name a shop. Is there a street, or an area which is populated with a cluster of likeminded proprietors ??

Thanks
:rolleyes:

Wunjos in Denmark Street has been much recommended on here recently, as is the bass gallery.
The gallery is a bit out of central London, in Camden.
[url="http://wunjoguitars.com/"]http://wunjoguitars.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/[/url]

I had heard Denmark Street. Hadn't heard Charing Cross Road.
Thanks too for Wunjos.

Is the "how much?" implying , "thats wild expensive" or, "thats wild cheap"

Where I am from, money is not round to go around; but made flat for stacking in neat bundles that don't fall over until they are six feet tall.
This will be a voyage of discovery. Good thing the VAT controller will be shopping elsewhere in Oxford Street when I am viewing the bass goods.
If I buy something will they post it ? Then I just have to apologise when it arrives at my door 4 days later rather than ask for permission in front of a shop full of people.
:happy:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352280753' post='1860949']
Also a visit to the Bass Gallery is a must.
[/quote]

I completely second this.

It's only a few stops on the tube and it'd be worth a much longer trip: serious collection of good quality basses, whether you want I spend £100 or a few grand, and lack of the usual bad attitude you'll tend to find elsewhere: you can feel free to ask to try any bass without pressure. Plus theres two top luthiers on site to answer an tech questions.

PM me when you're coming down man, I always like an accuse to visit BG and I could meet you at Camden town tube and show you the way :)

Btw: for the attention of anyone who hasn't been down denmark st for a while - wunjos have actually opened a bass only shop 2 doors down from their guitar shop so have a much better collection than they used to before.

Still not a patch on bass gallery but since the cellar closed down they're now the only two dedicated bass shops I know of in central.

Also, a little off topic: have any londoners been to guitar guitar in Epson? It's not far from me but I never knew it was there until I recently went for my jap 57 P ri and was very impressed with their collection! Not a massive variation on makes: mainly fender, with G&L Ernie Ball, ibanez, etc. and some others dotted around such as sadawsky etc. So not the same make variation you'll find in the gallery but a very impressive collection none the less! Plus the guys were alright too :)

[quote name='Ashwood1985' timestamp='1352283935' post='1860993']
Also, a little off topic: have any londoners been to guitar guitar in Epson? It's not far from me but I never knew it was there until I recently went for my jap 57 P ri and was very impressed with their collection! Not a massive variation on makes: mainly fender, with G&L Ernie Ball, ibanez, etc. and some others dotted around such as sadawsky etc. So not the same make variation you'll find in the gallery but a very impressive collection none the less! Plus the guys were alright too :)
[/quote]

i went there for the first time the other day and i was pretty impressed! huge shop and happy to let you noodle around.
i also went to andertons in guilford, which have a smallish range of basses (lots of fenders) and again are happy to let you sit there and try them out, and the bass room is cut off from the rest of the shop so its a bit more private. i think you can also get a separate room to demo amps but i didn't do that. i could hear the squalling of a rock solo coming from somewhere though... :)

back on topic - i didn't know of the bass gallery but sounds like an essential visit.

Edited by ted_manzie

another plus for the [url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/"]Bass Gallery[/url]
Martin is a top guy, and they have a lot of gear in store that is not on their website

It is very easy to walk straight past the shop, if you are not looking out for it.

Under no circumstances take your wife to the bass gallery. It is a recipe for marital disharmony and they will not accept her in part exchange.

It's the best bass shop. Martin and Alex get their hands on stock that other people just don't have and are a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks to evry1 for their advice on this topic. Regarding marital disharmony, i find it easier to consult and inform the wee wife because she has ESP. Extra Spending Perception.
Having said that i do stop short of taking her to the scene of the crime. A grown man begging for his wallet in front of other mature adults is not a nice sight.
On a serious note . Provided s.w.m.b.o. is kept in the loop and has the final say on colour i have reasonably free reign.

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1352322043' post='1861750']
Under no circumstances take your wife to the bass gallery. It is a recipe for marital disharmony and they will not accept her in part exchange.
[/quote]
[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1352368389' post='1862149']
Regarding marital disharmony, i find it easier to consult and inform the wee wife because she has ESP. Extra Spending Perception.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• 3 months later...

So i visited denmark street in london.
Cudnt get time for bass gallery.
Have to say that i cud have browsed for hours. The only thing stopping me buying was i cudnt decide in all the time i had and i didnt want to impulse buy. Wunjos was the best i thought by quite a stretch. Very chatty , patient and eager to get you to play the goods instead of just looking. I was impressed with it and will likely be back next time im in london. Great selection of basses.
As for the others ; their enthusiasm ranged from "allright there mate" about evry 2 minutes; to looking at you like a fresh skidmark on a hotel towel and being generally uninterested.
The "eh , dont touch that unless ur planning on buying it" shop will remain nameless but i am at a loss as to why anyone wud shop in it with an attitude like that taking the cash from you.
All in all, alladins cave street for the bass gasman.
I'll be back.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1360616796' post='1973570']
The "eh , dont touch that unless ur planning on buying it" shop will remain nameless but i am at a loss as to why anyone wud shop in it with an attitude like that taking the cash from you.[/quote]
Regent Sounds.

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1360616796' post='1973570']
I'll be back.
[/quote]
....and you MUST visit the Bass Gallery.

• 2 months later...

A +1 for Wunjos - I was down in London this weekend past and decided to take a look - friendly guys, let me try a Hagstrom 8 string through a DECENT amp (Markbass) and were happy to yap about the bass and stuff in general. No pressure, no hassle, I decided not to go for it in the end (not the only reason but I was flying back to Aberdeen that evening, so transportation might have been an issue) and there was no huffiness, they gave me a business card and I was on my way.

Would definitely go there again. Next time I'll take the train ;)