Why become a member? ×

barefaced bass super 12

77precisionblackmaple

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1352731373' post='1866627']
i did gouge a little piece out of the front of my s15 by knocking it on a railing carrying it up the stairs in my apartment block, can definitely tell the wood is lighter, similar kind of whack with my older cabs wouldve just bounced right off or dented.

still wouldnt change it for the world, i keep dreaming about two of them
[/quote]

to add to my above post, at another gig i caught one of the rubber feet on a beer keg as i lifted it over and it tore straight out and i had to screw it back in just to the side of its original place as the hole was too big now.

still amazing though

good job i didnt fork out for the cloth grill! i'd have put it through by now haha

Edited by Ant

I kept my BF Compact in our trailer & being honest it couldn't take the abuse of travelling. It had a cover, but it was still dented & pretty badly beaten after only a few months. Had Ashdown, Schroeder and now GK and these didn't show any signs of wear & tear. Got to agree that they are great cabs if you want to stick it in the back of a car, but not bombproof. That's why I don't think you'll see touring bands playing through them anytime soon.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1362847034' post='2005314']
I kept my BF Compact in our trailer & being honest it couldn't take the abuse of travelling.
[/quote]

Thanks, Largo. It's important this stuff comes to the surface aside all the praise.
(Happily for me, if I gig my BFs at all, it will be locally, and the cabs would be transported in the back seat of a luxury car.)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

FYI since largo's cabs we've switched to substantially harder ply and changed how we apply the finish, so it's harder from the moment it's dry. We've also found that however the finish is applied, it is much much harder after a few months than when it's brand new - it's almost like concrete once the cab is old. I'd be interested to see how a recent cab stands up to largo's use - I think it would shrug it off without any problem.

The feet however are a niggling point that we're still working on - the latest ply holds a thread much better so they're much harder to knock off but it's still not impossible. We could use t-nuts and bolts on the big cab feet - we'll do some loading tests to see what happens if a cab is dropped from a height diagonally onto a foot (at the moment the screw pulls out, preventing enclosure damage). We'll also see if we can go a screw size larger on the small feet, that should make a useful difference. If a foot screw does strip its thread plugging the hole with a matchstick will make it as good as new, it's one of those 'bodges' that really works.

I'd expect any touring band with roadies to flightcase a cab, just like they do with every other bit of the backline - the upsides with our cabs being the total flightcase weight being much lower, the total flightcase size for the max output being much smaller (which matters with the cost of transport nowadays) and obviously the sound being better than generic cabs!

My Big Twin T did 10 shows in 10 days over 4 countries with daily load in/load out and constant clattering of stuff against it on the road day after day over hundreds of miles. It also held up the weight of 2 drum hardware cases while on the raid. It was in a Roqsolid cover but no flight case etc. Since then it's done another 20 odd gigs including one where I had to wheel down a cobbled street.

Despite the abuse on tour, other than the wheels looking worn, the cab is pristine and the finish looks like it did when it was new.

My amp head is heavy and flight cased and despite it 'scraping' against the top of the cab daily there are no signs of wear. The current coating appears to be rock solid.

they do stand up to life on the road,Ive gigged mine endlessly with some pretty rough handling by a less than sensitive roadie.
there is one ding which I did when it was brand

new and one foot did come loosewhich was a really easy fix.
I must stress that this slight damage was after a mighty trashing in the back of a rattly transit

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1362860380' post='2005547']
The feet however are a niggling point that we're still working on -
[/quote]

I have lost a foot each from my two cabs. They don't get dropped but shoved around quite a bit loading etc and I think the some decent shear force tears them out.

Barefaced replaced them (x8 in fact!) when I mentioned it to them and I have gone around with a spot of wood glue in the screw hole of each of the feet and they've since been fine so far. I have a Midget and a Compact so the size of cab doesn't bare relation to the feet coming off. Maybe the tee-nuts would be appropriate for all.

There has been no other effect on the finish, grille or anything else from regular (2-3 times a week) use and movement. - edit; I keep them in Roqsolids and there's been no effect on those either.

Regardless I am still becoming more and more delighted with my cabs, the Midget in particular although I recently filled a large 340 seat auditorium with solid, deep Motown bass from the Compact with little or no pa reinforcement receiving flattering comments about the bass sound from the theatre sound crew. Impressive devices.

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='77precisionblackmaple' timestamp='1362650329' post='2002620']
just an update on the super 12 : it just gets better,so good that I have sold all of my old gear including my beloved twin trace stacks from when I had my deal back in the day.
I may have to buy another s12 to have a 'rest of life' back up.
It is the best Ive encountered in my career.
[/quote]

Haha, I sold all my other cabs (Trace, Hartke, Ampeg..) too! Partly to help pay for the Barefaced cabs but mostly I knew I'd never ever use them again, absolutely no reason to. I miss them not one bit and appreciate an extra room in the house.

Never had a problem with the finish, because, shock-horror....I bought covers for them. It does amaze me the amount of people who don't cover their cabs during transit (Ant I'm staring at you! ;) )
I do have issues with the feet ripping out, but hey, I've had the same issues with Ampeg, Ashdown etc etc. Matchstick shoved in, re-screw it :)

Si

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1363356545' post='2011723']
I have absolutely no need for another cab, asI have a fabby little Midget already (with foot reglued :)) but I'm still gassing like mad for a 2X12 or a Compact.

Help!
[/quote]

I think a second midget is the answer there then! I'm intending to have bought a S12T by the end of 2013 as long as i can find the funds.

Liam

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1363356545' post='2011723']
I have absolutely no need for another cab, asI have a fabby little Midget already (with foot reglued :)) but I'm still gassing like mad for a 2X12 or a Compact.

Help!
[/quote]
You probably don't need it. I splashed out on a Midget T and a Compact, but have yet to come across a suitable use for them both together and when I think the Compact is required find the Midget will still do it. Needs a powerful amp but I've yet to find it's limit.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1363391770' post='2012367']
You probably don't need it. I splashed out on a Midget T and a Compact, but have yet to come across a suitable use for them both together and when I think the Compact is required find the Midget will still do it. Needs a powerful amp but I've yet to find it's limit.
[/quote]

Fraid you're right. Really annoying. Maybe it's making lots of noise that I'm gassing for. Time for another (louder) band? :)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1363391770' post='2012367']
[/quote]

Not necessarily a case of need, but I thought the Midget & Compact together sounded great, each complementing the other.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1363538455' post='2013778']
Not necessarily a case of need, but I thought the Midget & Compact together sounded great, each complementing the other.
[/quote]

Well, putting it another way, I have no intention of parting with either. I'm secretly developing my bass playing career to a point where I can regularly play gigs warranting them both.

This is the first time I've been so completely satisfied since may Jaydee/Trace rig in the 80s. That would satisfy no longer (would sound great but humping those cabs around was less than satisfying!)

[quote]Anyone got any idea as to how a Markbass F500 matches up with the barefaced super 12? I work with a classic rock covers band [/quote] A lot of classic rock tracks were played on overdriven gear of limited quality. Unfortunately neither of those items sound sh*t or have low enough head room to be stressed out. You will have to buy some crap effects.

• 1 year later...

An update!
over a year on and my gear buyin days are still over,cab still sounds beautiful,I almost always use my GK 400 RB '89 vintage but if I fancy a real bit of nostalgia I use my first series Trace AH250(still the loudest 250 watts ever).
The only very slight issue is the loose rubber foot,doesn't bother me and strangely its only one of them that ever comes loose.
The cab has now done about 150 gigs and shows no signs of serious wear.
The sound did get better and louder as the speakers played in.
Try one.

[quote name='77precisionblackmaple' timestamp='1397853062' post='2428055']
An update!
over a year on and my gear buyin days are still over,cab still sounds beautiful,I almost always use my GK 400 RB '89 vintage but if I fancy a real bit of nostalgia I use my first series Trace AH250(still the loudest 250 watts ever).
The only very slight issue is the loose rubber foot,doesn't bother me and strangely its only one of them that ever comes loose.
The cab has now done about 150 gigs and shows no signs of serious wear.
The sound did get better and louder as the speakers played in.
Try one.
[/quote]

Araldite is your friend :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='77precisionblackmaple' timestamp='1352113043' post='1858758']
just done 14 gigs on the trot with my brand new cab.
the wait was excruciating to say the least but the cab is beyond anything i could have hoped for.
tried it with brand new tcelectronic bh250 tonepri:ok but not enough punch or dynamics at gig volume,typical digital amp really,save your money.
plugged my gk400rb '89 vimtage and wow just perfect,the sound was just pure class:geddy,foxton,squire type tone was what i was after and i was not disappointed.
truly the last cab i will buy,massive sounding bass,clear punchy mids and top is excellent.
paired with my old precision and a new set of rotos im in heaven!
[/quote]

I was looking at getting a BH250 head to run my barefaced super 12T as I like the tone print idea & the Octave effects & keeping everything light . I play in a band with electric drums . At the moment I use Markbass little Rocker & a MoMark head but hardly drive them at all . Now I'm wondering , should I get the MXR octave pedal or stiil go for this head as I like the idea of using it in my flat for practicing .

• 6 months later...

Well I`ve now had my BF Super 12T for about a month now, done a few gigs with it and am so happy, I`ve sourced another. Smaller gigs and rehearsals will just be the one, but for the gigs with bigger stages I`ll have both, wired in series with a special lead that Alex will provide.

In all honesty I don`t need another for the volume, but with many of the gigs we`re doing, having a big set-up is almost required. It`s daft that many people, both punters and venues don`t think you`re a serious band on this circuit unless you have big speakers/set-ups, considering the amount of sound you can get from an S12T (and a 112 valve combo for guitar come to think of it) but that`s the reality, judge with eyes not ears.

The extra depth in sound will be nice I`m sure though - my Aguilar Tonehammer 500 through two Super 12Ts, can`t wait to get the latest S12T to try it all out. Gonna have to be careful on the volume control though.....

But re the cab itself, well the weight and portability themselves are great, but I wouldn`t be happy with it unless it sounded good. I think the best way to describe these cabs are, what you put in is what you get out. If you like your bass, and your amp, you`re going to really hear them using one of these. Plus, if you end up going through FOH and DI-ing, well it helps knowing that your on-stage sound is what is ending up FOH (unless the person on the desk alters it that is).