Why become a member? ×

The customary intro

Cumbo

Hi folks.

Just adding my intro as a newbie. I'm a British ex-pat, now living in Florida, and I discovered this site while trying to resarch my old Shaftesbury bass. Apart from a Kay 3/4 scale, this was my first (and only) real bass, as a teenager back in the late 70s. I've seen a few members who, like me, left the bass playing for careers and family, and are just coming back after a couple of decades or more.

No danger of GAS here. i'm the kind of guy who won't upgrade until I've squeezed all I can out of my existing gear, and can then justify the investment in order to grow. my original Shaftesbury only shares space with an Ibanez acoustic that I treated myself to a couple of years ago. The justifications for that purchase are that it makes it easier for me to practice regularly, and I that didn't need to buy an amp!

My wife and 9grown up) kids are all following musical paths, and I have started "proper" lessons with a tutor at their college. i used to be able to play bass until I started lessons - then I had to unlearn all the bad habits. Mind you, I'm now better than I ever was after just a few tutoring sessions. Still a ways to go, but its a fun journey and quite therapeutic after a day in the office.

All the best. Look forward to sharing tips and stories.

Cumbo

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1352099138' post='1858583']
9 Grown up kids! I'm surprised you had any time for playing Bass! :D
[/quote]

You missed the point. He expressed he's Irish, and shifted [i][b]eight[/b][/i] kids. That's why he now has to live in FL. :lol:

Sorry, Cumbo, and welcome to BC.
Yes, indeed you're one amongst many as to the bass pause. Welcome back, then.

Enjoy the site, join the banter and spread some wisdom.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1352114999' post='1858792']
You missed the point. He expressed he's Irish, and shifted [i][b]eight[/b][/i] kids. That's why he now has to live in FL. :lol:

Sorry, Cumbo, and welcome to BC.
Yes, indeed you're one amongst many as to the bass pause. Welcome back, then.

Enjoy the site, join the banter and spread some wisdom.

best,
bert
[/quote]

does he say he is irish? i hope not... because shifted means something else on the emerald isle.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1352128125' post='1859067']
does he say he is irish? i hope not... because shifted means something else on the emerald isle.
[/quote]

No, he doesn't.
Yes, I know. :)
It's just that he meant a "(" , which is Shift-8 on the keyboard, so in my warped way he meant "shift-8 grown up kids", which is Irish indeed, and also provides a reasonable explanation for his living in Florida.
No harm meant though. Just having some fun.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1352141129' post='1859303']
It's just that he meant a "(" , which is Shift-8 on the keyboard,

best,
bert
[/quote]

You've got a funny keyboard. :huh: "(" is shift-9 on mine. :blink:

Which is all diverting us from saying a proper Welcome! to Cumbo. ;)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1352142131' post='1859316']
You've got a funny keyboard. :huh: "(" is shift-9 on mine. :blink:
[/quote]

Wha' ?
I've never noticed that difference between Norwegian and British keyboards. OK, so Cumbo shifted nine of them. All the more reason to move! :lol:

OK; let me repeat my welcome to Cumbo, and repeat my excuses to him as well.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1352144609' post='1859381']
Wha' ?
I've never noticed that difference between Norwegian and British keyboards
[/quote]

Welcome to Basschat Cumbo,

My first guitar was a Kay strat back in the mid eighties (i still have it) It was like balsa wood! The rest of you please go to [url="http://www.keyboardchat.co.uk"]www.keyboardchat.co.uk[/url]

Cheers Leen.

Thanks for those who notice the unfortunate typo. Definitely just 2 kids, despite what the 9 / ( mix-up suggested. Also for the record, Mancunian born, but raised in Wales. No sinsister reasons for leaving the country except for the weather.

[quote name='Cumbo' timestamp='1352172354' post='1859704']
Thanks for those who notice the unfortunate typo. Definitely just 2 kids, despite what the 9 / ( mix-up suggested. Also for the record, Mancunian born, but raised in Wales. No sinsister reasons for leaving the country except for the weather.
[/quote]

what!? that is the most sinister reason! you horrible man!

haha, just extracting the Michael :P