Why become a member? ×

Jazz Jam Essential Tunes To Know!

lobematt

Hey!

I've started going to a few jazz jam nights, just watching not playing at the moment. I was just wondering what songs are most likely to come up and are pretty essential to have under your belt?

The songs I'm most comfortable with are probably Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, Blue Monk (and a few other blues tunes) and Take The 'A' Train. I thought these would have been safe bets but I've not heard any of these tunes called yet!

I'm doing as much ear training as I can so that I'll have a better chance at playing tunes I'm not familiar with but it's a pretty slow process.

So I was just wondering what songs you guys have played on the most or heard getting called the most when you've been at jam nights?

Cheers

[quote name='matejj53' timestamp='1351793904' post='1855543']
I found many times that there is stuff so If you read chord charts it might help you.
[/quote]

It depends...some guys carry real books,others expect you to know the tunes.

Canteloupe Island, Watermelon Man, Moondance, Green Dolphin Street, All The Things You Are, The Shadow Of Your Smile, Yardbird Suite, All Blues, Mr. PC, Blue Train, Work Song, Milestones, Freddie Freeloader, So What, Impressions, Doxy, Oleo/Anthropology (both rhythm changes), All Of Me.....

I think I'm going to throw up.

You can go to JazzStandards.com - I've heard from quite a few guys, that the first 100 tunes in there are all played over and over in jams, so you could start by number 1 and, considering you spend 1 week on a tune, after 100 weeks you'll have all them down.
Well it's, at least, this sort of process I'm doing right now.

Here's another cool thing, a list taken from series of weekly jam sessions in well-known club (you can see that some tunes are being called more often than others):

10/22 Owl & Thistle
Confirmation
Green Dolphin Street
Minority
Stardust
Jitterbug Waltz
Bittersweet
What Is This Thing Called Love
Blues Tune
Concentrate on You

11/01 Owl & Thistle
Night and Day
Blue Monk
Recordame
Oleo
Confirmation
Teach Me Tonight
Alone Together
Have You Met Miss Jones

11/15 Owl & Thistle
Caravan
Invitation
Bemsha Swing
Gone With The Wind
How Insensitive (6/8 feel)

11/22 Owl & Thistle
Solar
Bye Bye Blackbird
Corcovado
There Will Never Be Another You
Lover Man
Yes Or No

11/28 Pirattis Craft Bar
Footprints
St. Thomas
Have You Met Miss Jones (7/4)
Feeling Good
All The Things You Are
Girl From Ipanema
Softly As A Morning Sunrise
Dindi
Bye Bye Blackbird
Recordame

11/29 Owl & Thistle
There is No Greater Love
Nothing Personal (G minor Blues)
Ishfahan
Green Dolphin Street
Inner Urge
I Remember You

12/06 Owl And Thistle
Nardis
What Is This Thing Called Love
Nothing Personal
Invitation
Seven Steps To Heaven
Well You Needn't
Passion Dance
Gingerbread Man

Other Tunes (Not sure when these were called but I remember them being played)
LadyBird
Freedie Freeloader
Beatrice
Blue Bossa
Red Clay
I Hear A Rhapsody
This I Dig Of You
One Note Samba
Song For My Father

Edited by Faithless

Take concert, Eb and Bb parts with you ready to dish out for a couple of tunes you already know inside out. Ask to sit in and call those couple of tunes. If you stay in for longer, then take a real book or ireal book so you can at least play the root over changes for songs that others call. At least, that seems to work round Cardiff. If you sit in, you call the tunes and after your tunes then let someone else (or the house bassist) take over again. Without exception, I have found house bassists helpful and friendly. With that in mind, it's a good idea to go early on in the evening so you can talk to the bassist and the leader of the house band. Plus, there always seem to be less people getting up to play early on and masses later on. You'll get a more relaxed and helpful response if you go on eariler while they are still canvassing for performers.

I hope that's helpful, but no doubt others will have had different experiences ... ;)

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1352053588' post='1858220']
If you sit in, you call the tunes and after your tunes then let someone else (or the house bassist) take over again.
[/quote]

While I get that it's a good idea to carry the parts and be able to call the tunes,most of the time the person who will
call the tunes will either be the band leader or the horn players (whoever is taking the head usually).

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1351987201' post='1857686'] You can go to JazzStandards.com - I've heard from quite a few guys, that the first 100 tunes in there are all played over and over in jams, so you could start by number 1 and, considering you spend 1 week on a tune, after 100 weeks you'll have all them down. Well it's, at least, this sort of process I'm doing right now. Here's another cool thing, a list taken from series of weekly jam sessions in well-known club (you can see that some tunes are being called more often than others): 10/22 Owl & Thistle Confirmation Green Dolphin Street Minority Stardust Jitterbug Waltz Bittersweet What Is This Thing Called Love Blues Tune Concentrate on You 11/01 Owl & Thistle Night and Day Blue Monk Recordame Oleo Confirmation Teach Me Tonight Alone Together Have You Met Miss Jones 11/15 Owl & Thistle Caravan Invitation Bemsha Swing Gone With The Wind How Insensitive (6/8 feel) 11/22 Owl & Thistle Solar Bye Bye Blackbird Corcovado There Will Never Be Another You Lover Man Yes Or No 11/28 Pirattis Craft Bar Footprints St. Thomas Have You Met Miss Jones (7/4) Feeling Good All The Things You Are Girl From Ipanema Softly As A Morning Sunrise Dindi Bye Bye Blackbird Recordame 11/29 Owl & Thistle There is No Greater Love Nothing Personal (G minor Blues) Ishfahan Green Dolphin Street Inner Urge I Remember You 12/06 Owl And Thistle Nardis What Is This Thing Called Love Nothing Personal Invitation Seven Steps To Heaven Well You Needn't Passion Dance Gingerbread Man Other Tunes (Not sure when these were called but I remember them being played) LadyBird Freedie Freeloader Beatrice Blue Bossa Red Clay I Hear A Rhapsody This I Dig Of You One Note Samba Song For My Father [/quote]

Thanks for that mate, very useful!