Why become a member? ×

What does a Bass Player look like ?

BILL POSTERS

Blademans thread about when to call your self a Bass Player got me thinking.

i've sometimes been told by punters that I look like a Bass Player, and I know others have too. I dont think Its a physical characteristic, there obviously are tall ones, short ones, fat ones thin ones etc.

Over 30 odd years my appearance has changed a hell of a lot, long hair, short hair, beards mustaches, T shirts, Suits, even a cowboy hat, but people still say it.

So is it an insult I keep missing ? or is it a look, stance, posture, miserable facial expression, dress - what ?

Who else hears it from punters ?

The more I think about it, the more paranoid I'm getting.

I have been told a few times that I look like a 'typical bass player' because I don't smile much and I blend into the background. It doesn't bother me much because I am always chuffed when someone actually acknowledges that I was on the stage playing a bass in the first place!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1351788687' post='1855450']
It's mainly in the eyes. We have normal ones. Not the cold dead eyes of a frontman. Not the maniacal gleam of the guitarist or the empty 1000 yard stare of the drummer. We just look like the normal person in a band.
[/quote]

Ha ha, brilliant post :)

I had that the other week.......while taking a break in the gig, some people walked into the venue, saw us milling around near the stage, came up to us, asked if we were the band, to which we all nodded and said yes.....and instantly one of the girls pointed at me and said....,,,,

"you're the bassist, aren't you?, you look like a bassist!"......bizarre!!

Again, at least I was counted as one of the band....Result!!

Just assembling 'the bass player' in the lab right now. Hands have immense strength with ability to span 5 frets. Eyesight permits sight reading in dark at 2 ~ 3 m unaided. Hearing is pitch perfect with total discrimination between different instruments, unaffected by volume. Physique never fails to impress, you can imagaine where this is going. Has mental resilience and iron cool temperament for dealing with others in band. Anything else needed? Clearly I fall a long way off spec :mellow:

Edited by 3below

Obviously it's because the bass player is uber cool, sting, kip winger,bill wyman,David ellefson, nikki sixx rudy sarzo,glen Hughes, all these dudes are cool, it must be a trait generic to bass players an inner charisma that refuses to hide its light under a bushel, that's what draws them to identify you man, it,s a heavy burden but being a bass player you can take it , it, s your birthright, go forth and let your notes ring low and clear shaking the very bowels of civilisation

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1351804811' post='1855749']
Obviously it's because the bass player is uber cool, sting, kip winger,bill wyman,David ellefson, nikki sixx rudy sarzo,glen Hughes, all these dudes are cool, it must be a trait generic to bass players an inner charisma that refuses to hide its light under a bushel, that's what draws them to identify you man, it,s a heavy burden but being a bass player you can take it , it, s your birthright, go forth and let your notes ring low and clear shaking the very bowels of civilisation
[/quote]

Aye......what he said!!

"You will not apply my precept," he said, shaking his head. "How often have I said to you that [u]when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, [i]however improbable[/i], must be the truth[/u]? We know that he is not an egocentric, posing, musically stagnant, pentatonic only guitarist. We also know that he is not a temperamental, big girls blousy, semitone flat all the time frontman and nor is he the cerebrally vacant, shorts wearing, 10 bpm faster at the end than the start paradiddler. Ergo - he must be the bass player".

[i]The Sign of the Four[/i] [i]Four in A[/i] ch. 6 (1890)
Sherlock Holmes

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1351806543' post='1855781']
"You will not apply my precept," he said, shaking his head. "How often have I said to you that [u]when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, [i]however improbable[/i], must be the truth[/u]? We know that he is not an egocentric, posing, musically stagnant, pentatonic only guitarist. We also know that he is not a temperamental, big girls blousy, semitone flat all the time frontman and nor is he the cerebrally vacant, shorts wearing, 10 bpm faster at the end than the start paradiddler. Ergo - he must be the bass player".

[i]The Sign of the Four[/i] [i]Four in A[/i] ch. 6 (1890)
Sherlock Holmes
[/quote]

[b] “It lives, Igor! It lives!”[/b]

Listen, us bass players are cool. Nothing else. Guitarists are useless, forgetful liabilities, drummers, well don't get me started. Fact is we hold it together from start to finish. Standing at the back dealing out earth shattering tones and groovy bass lines. It's in our blood; we were made to do this. So no wonder people subconsciously know who we are?! Plus I have a beard. Beards are good.

[quote name='AnalogBomb' timestamp='1351810131' post='1855836']
Plus I have a beard. Beards are good.
[/quote]

This must be where I am going wrong then ;)

Whenever I walk into new music shops.... It is always assumed I am buying something for my husband or son! Don't even have a son :lol:

Cue much shock when I pick up a bass and start playing it!

So I guess I definitely don't look like a bassist! That said, maybe its because I haven't been playing long enough to have developed that whimsical groove look whilst standing inconspicuously at the back! I do try my best in my band though :lol:

Edited by SpaceChick