Why become a member? ×

Uriah Heep bassist query

dmccombe7

I came across a track by Uriah Heep somewhere circa 1972 era which had a fantastic bass riff running all through it.
It stated that no-one knew whether the bass player was Mark Clarke or Gary Thain.

Does anyone on BC know what the track might be.

I've tried the various sites trying to locate but no luck and can't remember where i originally heard it.

Any help appreciated

Dave

Wasn't on an album that i know off but i don't have them all. Have Demons & Wizards and huge fan of Gary Thain too.
It was either Gary or Mark Clarke i think but haven't been able tfind it. I remember reading that when it was recorded no-one knew which bassist actually recorded it so it might have been a lost recording of some kind.

Met Mick Box and Trevor in 80's when they played Glasgow and John Sloman was vocalist. John was brilliant guy to talk with and Trevor is an absolute gem and what a bassist. He did a bass solo that night and tripped backwards on his lead and didn' even lose a beat. I was extremely impressed that night. He was using a Kramer with the Di-Marzio twin precision pick ups if i remember right.

Dave

I seem to remember that the B side of the Easy Livin single had a busy bass line, particularly towards the end of the number, weird sort of tone though, like a whole load of angry wasps stuck in a chimney :) .

Not much use to you though as I can't think what the song was called but it wasn't on the Demon and Wizards album.

Maybe once I wake up a bit more and have some caffeine it will all come back to me.

How stupid am i. It was a track called WHY and on the Demons & Wizards Deluxe CD that i just happened to buy along with several other classic rock CD's earlier this year. Hadn't played it as i forgot i bought it and was still using the vinyl.

I think its Mark Clarke who's playing bass on this omne as it sounds very much like a Gibson EB3 type of bass rather than Gary Thain who tended to use Fender Jazz.

Have a listen to it - classic rock bass playing especially the solo.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="[url="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kscXG8ro6hQ"]http://www.youtube.com/embed/kscXG8ro6hQ[/url]" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thanks guys
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='Toddy54' timestamp='1351199805' post='1848732']
If it was 1972 it was probably the Demons and Wizards album , with Gary Thain ( the late, great ) on bass. Is the track your on about Easy Livin?

Edit spelling, cannot spell bloody "easy"
[/quote]

Oh, golden days! I grew up on this stuff as a schoolboy!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1351434815' post='1851133']
I made my brain hurt all morning trying to remember the track. Finally got there "WHY"

Came back on here all pleased with myself and you had already sussed it. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Sorry about that mate. Look on the bright side - i actually had the track on the album. - DOH !!!!! moment for me.
I've been racking my tiny little brain for a few weeks now and that makes me feel even worse.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Thain, one of the very very best.
Certainly one of the most melodic. The likes of Sunrise, Blind Eye, Sweet Freedom were just so influential on one particular aspiring young bass player.
Pity he is now an aspiring old bass player :lol: and still can't play them properly!

Yep Gary had a very melodic style of playing. I think the more i listen to the track WHY from the re-issued Demons & Wizards album the more i think it is actually Gary rather than Mark Clarke. There was always some doubt as to who actually played this bass line. Mark also had a similar style although not as flowing as Gary.
It would be nice to have a definative on who this was.

Anyway - stop knocking yourself Karlfer - i heard you were an excellent bass player and you aint any older than me. We have just simply matured with age in respect to our bass technique. Its not all about speed you know or so my wife tells me :lol: :on_the_quiet: :i-m_so_happy:

All best
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

• 7 years later...

Complicated release dates on this.

First recorded in the Look at yourself sessions, in 1971, an 11 minute studio jam epic.

The second, long version recorded in early 1972 in the Demons and Wizards sessions.

The 3rd version is the B side, single version, which was edited down from the Demons sessions.

Writing credits to Box/Byron/Hensley/Newton.

My guess would be Newton played the simple one & God Thain played the other one (both edits).

• Thanks 1