Why become a member? ×

i need ideas for a custom

Ghosts Over Japan

ok people i want to build a bass
haha and no this should not be in the building section yet as i just want ideas,

i will be purchasing a piece of mahogany off a very good friend at a very cheap price of ten pounds soon :huh:
i will be building a five string jazz out of this wood, now this is were all of you come in!
i need ideas for the wood for the top, i dont want anythin over the top but i want it to b quite abit lighter than the mahogany,
id very muchly appreciate it if anybody has pictures of a custom jazz that is made of mahogany as i do need some more ideas :huh:

any ideas for a top wood will b fantastic, and pictures to help give me inspiration would be amazing bearing in mind im only 16! haha but i have family helping me :)

absoultly any help will be absoluty amazing, thank you

why do you want a light top? Personally I don't mind something heavier, and heavy woods do tend to look nicer in my opinion. Mahogany can actually be not too heavy (well, not if compared to basswood, alder et similia).

The reason you want a light top would affect my recommendations.

r5

[quote name='R,5,R,5...' post='20284' date='Jun 19 2007, 04:50 PM']why do you want a light top? Personally I don't mind something heavier, and heavy woods do tend to look nicer in my opinion. Mahogany can actually be not too heavy (well, not if compared to basswood, alder et similia).

The reason you want a light top would affect my recommendations.

r5[/quote]

hahaha matey, matey i mean light as in a lighter colour wood :huh:
but im not arsed now,i went round and checked the wood agen earlier and i may decide to go for a really dark top an yes i do love heavy basses too :)
much like my jazz but even thats not eceptionally heavy =P

[quote name='cai!' post='20433' date='Jun 19 2007, 09:25 PM']hahaha matey, matey i mean light as in a lighter colour wood :huh:
but im not arsed now,i went round and checked the wood agen earlier and i may decide to go for a really dark top an yes i do love heavy basses too :)
much like my jazz but even thats not eceptionally heavy =P[/quote]

Hey cai!

I got 2 tops that i was thinking of selling on that might suit you one is lace wood and the other is spalted maple both are 1/4(or so) thick i'll check the other measurements for you tommorrow as there at my workshop atm,i know that the SM top is good for a jazz size bass but i think the lace wood might be a bit short i'll grab some pic's as well

laters
Gizmo

[quote name='Gizmo' post='20526' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:03 AM']Hey cai!

I got 2 tops that i was thinking of selling on that might suit you one is lace wood and the other is spalted maple both are 1/4(or so) thick i'll check the other measurements for you tommorrow as there at my workshop atm,i know that the SM top is good for a jazz size bass but i think the lace wood might be a bit short i'll grab some pic's as well
laters
Gizmo[/quote]

ooooooohh u bloody great god you :)
that would be very much appreciated!
an if u can, check if the lacewood would fit a jazz because then id have more choice :huh:
ill check them out wen i get the piccys cus i reli wana c the grain on them, cheers gizmo, it really does mean alot to moi

Hey cai!

Got some measurements for you

Spalted maple is

574x187x8 MM

Lace wood is

543x200x8 & 536x204x8 MM

Here's a few pic's clicky for larger images

SM front

[url="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/576936083_a3549b687d_o.jpg"][/url]

SM back (markings are just pencil)

[url="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1322/576936093_ee5d6a1c42_o.jpg"][/url]

Wipped with white spirit to emulate finished tone

[url="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1431/576824108_7372bde272_o.jpg"][/url]

The spaltering is all solid has been treated ready for a finish

Lace wood

Front

[url="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1409/576936147_ec924c1182_o.jpg"][/url]

Wipped with white spirit to emulate finished tone

[url="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058/576824168_9c91a877f7_o.jpg"][/url]

The lace wood is'nt a book matched piece but it still matches nicely and you can just get a jazz top out of it with about 5mm each side to spare

[url="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1269/576886318_c0f543a8fc_o.jpg"][/url]

£15 each + postage at cost if your interest

Cheers
Gizmo

oh my god dude thats absolutly amazing! do not rub them markings off the spalted maple!!!! cai may be interested in a singlecut =]
hehe right ill probs get one off you, cus take me a few weeks to get the money atm, im only 16 dont forget but ill try an get it sooner!
£15 then abit for postage? that sounds like a bargin!! haha
would a jazz shape fit on the spalted maple easily?

Hey man non worries there not going anywhere

yep the SM fits a jazz easy with an inch or so spare either side

& i remember working in a chippy peeling spud's with a big drum peeler when i was 16 sucky job
but it was worth it to get my first bass 18 years later and im building my own lol

Cheers
Gizmo

Edited by Gizmo

haha awsome mibi i could fit a five string jazz on it:) but im reli badly considerin that single cut now:)
lol
haha chippy =] next week or two i should b gettin [Top Ten hit] loads of painting and decorating jobs lol i got loads lined up so il get sum money an get the sm off you =] lol might sell my old [Brad PItty] ibanez to get sum money aswell lol, if i even need advice can i talk to you mate?