Why become a member? ×

ACG owners, what strings ya using

KennysFord

I'm using THomastik Jazz flats on my Finn 5. With the filter pre, you can get some really interesting tones. I've been using the same set consistently for the better part of twelve months and have no plans in changing them any time soon. Highly recommended.

J.

Edited by jdizzle

Cheers J,
I'm glad you mentioned Ti's.
I have a set but am / was reluctant to cut the G down from the Fender Headstock length.
I might just bite the bullet now and go for it, I can always get a replacement string I guess.
I'm using elixirs on my Finn 4 with the ACG Pre at the moment, It's not my usual string choice as Sunbeams are my usual poison.
I'm finding the top end is very Zingy with the Elixirs hence my post.
Cheers tho' Bud, It's something to consider.
B)

+1 for SIT Silencers.
They can be quite bright to start off, but never harsh, eventually, they will die down a little and sound a bit closer to flats after a while.
I find the mids a bit more pronounced than the regular SIT Nickels which a little darker, but still have a nice growl to them too, maybe try them too.
I used to use Sunbeams and Nickel LoRiders a lot and the Silencers are up there with them in my opinion, so I think you might like them.
Just for the record, I used to use 45 65 85 105 (130) in DR's, but I prefer a slightly lighter gauge for the heavier strings when using the Silencers as they're a little tighter, I use the following (30 - for the high C's) 45 65 80 100 (125)

Definitely worth a try :)

Eude

Cheers Guys,
I tried the Ti's but wasn't over keen to be honest.
However, I got a set of the SIT Silencers of Alan over the weekend and it's a very nice compromise.
I think these strings will also get better over time rather like Sunbeams...the older they get the more I like 'em.
I think I'll get another set for my Jazz Bass, I'm thinking that will be a good combination as well.
Cheers all.
B)

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1351599940' post='1853059']
Hi Bud,
I went for 45-105's.
They're really nice strings eh !! Kind on the fingers too.
I'll soon be ordering another set for my Jazz Bass as well.
B)
[/quote]

Very nice :)
Must put in an order for some more methinks...

Eude

My ACG will have TIs on when it lands. Also trying out some Fender CL9050s on an old Jazz, they seem very nice too but only had them for a week so too early to report properly - slightly heavier gauge than the TIs at 45/60/80/105.