Why become a member? ×

Fretboard oil

KingBollock

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1351102264' post='1847412']
Been a few years and it dont stink yet. On a similar vein though, anyone on here found anything that will lubricate strings ? there used to be some stiff that came in little aerosols, but I cant find any mention of it these days.

I just bought a new Precision and theres way too much zing for my liking, I'm too tight fisted to change the strings just yet but they sure are taking a lot of playing in.
[/quote]

I've got a cure for your zingy strings, replace them with flatwounds. B)

Been a few years and it dont stink yet. On a similar vein though, anyone on here found anything that will lubricate strings ? there used to be some stiff that came in little aerosols, but I cant find any mention of it these days.

I just bought a new Precision and theres way too much zing for my liking, I'm too tight fisted to change the strings just yet but they sure are taking a lot of playing in.
[/quote]

you want to lubricate the strings? ....FAST FRET! I use fast fret for all my strings, all my fretboards, all my necks, all my bodies and all my hardware. fecking lovely stuff.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1351235269' post='1848936']
you want to lubricate the strings? ....FAST FRET! I use fast fret for all my strings, all my fretboards, all my necks, all my bodies and all my hardware. fecking lovely stuff.
[/quote]

Sounds like it can be used as shower gel!

[/quote]

WD-40. Spray it on a cloth, wipe it over, or for super clean, get cloth jammed in under strings, spray it and then pull it up to the nut and down to the bridge as far as you can. Keeps strings nice and clean and unbreaky for just as long as more expensive products. :)

Pretty sure i was told by Chris May from Overwater to use Linseed oil on my Overwater fretless when i bought it a few yrs back. Haven't actually usedcanything to date apart from a wipe with a duster so this is an interesting topic.
When watching my bass being set up Chris used linseed oil when finishing off the bass cleaning before handing over to me.

Dave

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1350899685' post='1844713']
This topic always brings out the most varied of responces.

My own preference is "Fret Doctor"
[/quote]

I use Fret Doctor too - it's great stuff, isn't it!

To those who use slightly more left-field products (Pledge, WD40, GT85, Trex etc.) would you disclose that in a for-sale thread? If I received a bass that somebody had routinely sprayed with WD40, I'd go absolutely postal; specifically straight back to the sender :)

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1351353839' post='1850487']
I use Fret Doctor too - it's great stuff, isn't it!

To those who use slightly more left-field products (Pledge, WD40, GT85, Trex etc.) would you disclose that in a for-sale thread? If I received a bass that somebody had routinely sprayed with WD40, I'd go absolutely postal; specifically straight back to the sender :)
[/quote]

Why?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1351371947' post='1850673']
Why?
[/quote]

Because as much as I'd support anybody in doing exactly what they want to with their own possessions, if those possessions were about to become mine and had been subject to non-standard 'care', I'd want to know.

According to the data sheet WD40 out of the can is mostly white spirit so whilst it's probably fine for the strings, depending on the finish and consruction, I wouldn't have thought a good rub down with thinners would be all that much good for the bass. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't do it to my gear. Once the spirit has evaporated, it's basically just light mineral oil, so why not just use fast fret?

Edited by Ed_S

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1351376636' post='1850721']
According to the data sheet WD40 out of the can is mostly white spirit so whilst it's probably fine for the strings, depending on the finish and consruction, I wouldn't have thought a good rub down with thinners would be all that much good for the bass. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't do it to my gear. Once the spirit has evaporated, it's basically just light mineral oil, so why not just use fast fret?
[/quote]

"The main ingredients in fast fret is white mineral oil.."

http://www.epinions.com/review/Ghs_Fast_Fret_String_Cleaner/content_597182811780?sb=1

(but then the writer notes being made in the US as its main attraction, so maybe the source isn't so reliable!)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1351416410' post='1850871']
"The main ingredients in fast fret is white mineral oil.."

[url="http://www.epinions.com/review/Ghs_Fast_Fret_String_Cleaner/content_597182811780?sb=1"]http://www.epinions....7182811780?sb=1[/url]

(but then the writer notes being made in the US as its main attraction, so maybe the source isn't so reliable!)
[/quote]

Sorry.. I'm not sure what you're driving at there, mate. WD40 is about 15% light mineral oil with a white spirit base to allow it to penetrate and a secret blend of other stuff that may or may not have any place either on a fretboard or in constant contact with skin, whereas Fast Fret is just light mineral oil soaked into a cloth stick. I have no objection to Fast Fret / light mineral oil (have used it on my rosewood boards, though I don't like the feel of it on my strings); it's the white spirit that I object to because I feel there's a good chance it could damage some finishes and dissolve some glues, so isn't worth the risk. This is, of course, just my feeling on the matter, and you're free to use whatever you like!

Edited by Ed_S

Makes me think of a baby food maker that got into trouble in an African country where, because most of the population can't read, they always put a picture of the contents of cans on the label. This food manufacturer had a picture of a baby on the label...

Ah ha! I decided to look it up for more details and found it on Snopes! I had no idea how old the "story" was.

[url="http://www.snopes.com/business/market/babyfood.asp"]http://www.snopes.co...et/babyfood.asp[/url]

Always do your research!

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1351597217' post='1853003']
Baby oil is white mineral oil I think. Wonder what its like on strings and fretboards.
[/quote]

IMO it is better to err on the side of caution and buy a product that is desigined for the job.

It only costs a few bob and due to the fact that it should only be used very sparingly, will last for years.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1351601141' post='1853083']
IMO it is better to err on the side of caution and buy a product that is desigined for the job.

It only costs a few bob and due to the fact that it should only be used very sparingly, will last for years.
[/quote]

Designed for the job by who - the people selling it, or the manufacturers of guitars ?

Lemon scented oil might smell nice, but more or less any oils will make it shine. nobody used anyting at all 20 years ago, except maybe a bit of vaseline. Is the Dunlop stuff, or anything else, actually recomended by a large manufacturere ?

At least two mentions here as to what can happen if you don't look after your wood;
http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/10-things-you-should-know-about-frets-0705-2012.aspx
it's already been said in this thread that the lemon content is to remove built up finger gunk, the rest of it stops the wood drying out & shrinking.
I'm gonna go with a company's opinion that's been making high standard (comparatively speaking in some eras) for around 100 years or more rather than sweeping generalisations and heresay.

But it is all about personal choice, your gear, treat it how you like - and pay for the refrets & repairs as & when.