Why become a member? ×

An annoying case of Dingwall GAS

Graham

I went to see Decapitated in Brighton a couple of nights ago, who were great - really, really tight and had cracking set-list.

However, they had Xerath in support, last time I saw these guys their bassist was rocking a 6-string Ibabez (?) but this time had a Dingwall 5 - a Super Jazz I think with a maple feetboard - and it sounded fantastic, when I could hear it, the mix wasn't great.

However, when I could hear it, it sounded tight, deep and authoritative, just great.

Now, I say an annoying case of GAS as I have no chance of getting one, but I've been drooling over the Dingwall page on the Bass Direct site the last couple of days from the daft money Prima Artists to the more affordable ABZ - which I think would quite suit me.

Is GAS shared GAS halved?

If ever you are in London get in touch, I don't have a Prima Artist, but you can try an ABZ 5 maple f/board, and ABII 5 with roasted maple neck and f/board, and finally the Super J/P similar to the one you saw at the gig as you can see in the pic below.

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/reducedsize_zps789448a4.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1350840765' post='1844111']
If ever you are in London get in touch, I don't have a Prima Artist, but you can try an ABZ 5 maple f/board, and ABII 5 with roasted maple neck and f/board, and finally the Super J/P similar to the one you saw at the gig as you can see in the pic below.

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/reducedsize_zps789448a4.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]
Stunning, I might have to take you up in that sometime, particularly as I think you can point me in the direction of more good Zappa too.

Edited by Graham

My ABZ4 has killed off my bass GAS for a long while now, hopefully for good. Fantastic playability, the 36.25" E is a joy, it weighs nowt (7lbs 5oz), I've just put a P-Tone in it, and it sounds even better. Killer bass.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1350837372' post='1844054']
Is GAS shared GAS halved?
[/quote]

:lol: .... as you can see...NO! :P GAS Shared round here is the equivalent of pouring fuel on the fire.... I find Grand Wazoo is particularly guilty of this when it comes to Dingwalls... :gas:

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1350840765' post='1844111']

[/quote]

So what are the tonal differences? I see the ABZ has different pickups, and (I think) the passive tone system?

TBH if I take the plunge it would be an ABZ as I couldn't afford the dearer ones, but the concept of the fret system makes so much sense in my head! :D

Believe it or not, the same pickups are in the ABZ and ABII, it's just that they are covered by different look pickup shells. The ABII however is powered by a 2 band Glockenklang preamp, with a push/pull volume knob which switches it from passive to active. Sheldon keep changing the shell designs, in fact the new ABII shells have more of a round edge and so they don't look like mars bars like the ones I have :D .

Yet inside the shell it's still the excellent FD3 pickups which he designs and manufacturers in house, the only difference is that the ABII has a chambered body, fancy x-top wood package, in this case rewood top over a walnut body with a tiny layer of maple sandwiched in between. Extra nice to look at real close. The ABII came with a walnut neck with a wenge f/board which was not entirely to my taste. They use wenge on warwicks and I hate warwick basses with a passion, no offence to wrwks's owners it's just a personal thing, so after a few months of R&D with the "Saint" (Sheldon) he agreed to buy for me [b]on a one off basis[/b] a lump of roasted maple from which to carve a one piece neck to replace the one on my ABII which was the cherry on the cake, the two necks were words apart, if you hit the walnut one with the back of your hand you'd get a thud, do that to the maple one and it resonate into a marimba like low note. Once I fitted it and strung it up with the same old strings to see the immediate difference that roasted mapled would do to the bass, the thing was twinkling harmonics throughout the whole neck, almost at every fret, it had a much more defined sustain and it was like a completely new and better bass. Two weeks later I restrung it with a fresh set and wow, it was like playing an arp. Everyone who played this bass reckons it's a killer now, whereas before they were not that convinced, and always preferred my Super J or ABZ in comparison. but now the ABII is the most popular one and the preamp works really well with it.

p.s.: before you ask, Sheldon said that this project will stay [b]a one off[/b] until he finds a better supplier of roasted maple wood because the one he got my one from was very expensive and the material was hard to come by, i.e. scarce supply

Edited by Grand Wazoo

They are great basses. There is a clear difference as you move from Combustion to ABZ. Neck feel and quality of sound. They are very well made and the fan fret is not an issue at all. I came very close to buying one from Mark at Bass Direct...and then came the Roscoe!

I picked up a secondhand 2006 black and maple Super J a little while back. With steel strings it really has a very nice 'modern jazz bass' sound a la Marcus Miller. Well built and easy to play. I'm going to try a Dingwall P pickup up front to see if I like the Dingwall PJ set-up too - should be fun to experiment.

I'm also now awaiting a custom SJ4 which will be stunning. I now have definite DAS (Dingwall Acquisition Syndrome).

• 2 weeks later...

It's official. There is no GAS like Dingwall GAS.

Like that line in the Matrix movie, "Do you hear that Mr Anderson, that's the sound of inevitability".

I was hooked about a year ago and a couple of MM SR5s, three Rickenackers, a couple of Fenders, a Warwick and a couple of Peaveys have been made redundant and duly sold to strive to climb the Dingwall tree of excellence in bass building[attachment=122766:DSC_0426.JPG].

It's inevitable.....see. Gorgeous ABII.