Why become a member? ×

Mesa 400+ tone in a lightweight package?

onehappybunny

im on the side of the fence that if you want the tone of a 400 watt all valve amp, you gotta have a 400 watt all valve amp. i have tried many an amp and to me, nothing sounds like it. that weight you talk of can only be made by lots of tubes and lots of big heavy output transformers. anything else you will be compromising on something.

I used to have the Marshall VBA400 and i had to compromise as i couldnt afford to re valve the bugger more than once so i went for a 200 watt all valve. (slightly less beef but half the re valving cost) A sound that good is worth carrying! in my experience, NOTHING can replicate the valve weight sound without some compromise. Its just a matter of if you want to.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1351019867' post='1846346']
Much obliged Beedster, I didn't feel able to use the words I actually meant so thanks for correcting me. :-)
[/quote]

My pleasure, I felt you hadn't perhaps presented yourself as well as possible in the first post :)

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1351241768' post='1849042']
im on the side of the fence that if you want the tone of a 400 watt all valve amp, you gotta have a 400 watt all valve amp. i have tried many an amp and to me, nothing sounds like it. that weight you talk of can only be made by lots of tubes and lots of big heavy output transformers. anything else you will be compromising on something.

I used to have the Marshall VBA400 and i had to compromise as i couldnt afford to re valve the bugger more than once so i went for a 200 watt all valve. (slightly less beef but half the re valving cost) A sound that good is worth carrying! in my experience, NOTHING can replicate the valve weight sound without some compromise. Its just a matter of if you want to.
[/quote]

Ha, if you want the sound of a 400w valve amp, the 400+ isn't the way, since it isn't 400w.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1350771468' post='1843418']
No
[/quote]

Would have to go with Chris here...
You don't get a tone out of these big valve amps so much as you get a 'presence'..

I don't care that much for the EQ on either the Boogie or SVT but the valve power stage
just give these amps a stretch that is beyond many others.

Plug it in and ramp it up and it is pretty much there... can't explain such a simple thing, but there it is.

IMO.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1351257250' post='1849342']
Ha, if you want the sound of a 400w valve amp, the 400+ isn't the way, since it isn't 400w.
[/quote]

blimey, i shall make sure i am 100% scientifically, geekily, technologically up to date with every amp spec going next time i say something ;) even though i didnt even mention the 400+ :)

i'll get reading straight away......

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1350939656' post='1845442']
Rich, clean and all-valvey in a lightweight package ?

Markbass TTE 500. Using the colour knob, you can make it as detailed or thick as you wish (although it sounds subtle out of the mix).

Try one. I didn't think a hybrid could get "there" but it does.
[/quote]+1 from me on this. The TTE500 seems to be a bit of a secret. Everyone who tries it thinks it's arguably the best hybrid head available. Authentic vintage tube sounds as well as crystal clean modern sounds. I really can't understand why there's not more hype about this head. It's fantastic!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1351341760' post='1850307']
How about 400+ tone in a very heavy package.
[/quote]

I should know, but what's the diff between the 400 and the 400+ Steve?

Oh, and re my previous correction above, see below.....

The difference is in the power stage. The 400 has 6 x 6550 power valves and the 400+ has 12 x 6L6 power valves. Having played both I reckon the 400+ is a little more detailed in the sound but the 400 has been my faithful companion for nearly 25 years and never ever let me down so it's my #1 amp. I'd probably use the 400+ to drive the 2x18 but I use that for festivals and other outdoor gigs - I find the 18's put back some of the bass you lose outdoors.

Hi Jon, it certainly moves some air! It seems utterly incredible I got it for 62 quid on Ebay although I may well have the only idiot to want the thing. Your old amp is a beauty and does get a regular outing. Just need another diesel 2x15 to really finish it off (and another 400 or 400+ I guess). :-) Oh yes, and the right gig!!!

Guest teamcoy

I may have to give a TTE a spin based on these nuggets of info, love my D180, would never sell it but options are always a nice thing.

Great thread, cheers to all.

Hmm, well I absolutely love my 400+, that paired with my matamp or my old ampeg 810 was literal tonal perfection (for me of course) :) , in terms of similar sounding amps... well I've heard the fractal axe FX with a decent power amp is almost indistinguishable from the real thing however being the stupid price it is I've never gotten near one.

Unfortunately I don't think a hybrid will ever come close. I've had some hybrids that have produced phenomenal tone and presence (the Mesa BB750 being my favourite), but there's something about the valves that gives it something extra yknow? That said though, one of the guys I toured with was going with a carbine and that was a lovely bit of kit so definitely worth a look :)

Cheers,

Ash

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1351380799' post='1850758']
I did forget the tte 500. I really loved it when I was testing light weight heads.
but isn't there the tte 800 already?
[/quote]Yes, the TTE800 is out but it has a digital power amp so (although I haven't tried the 800), it's likely to sound slightly different and not quite as warm. Like the difference between the Little Mark and the F500. So, given the style of amp, I reckon the TTE500 is the better choice. Plus it's certainly not lacking in power!