Why become a member? ×

Combo amp small in size for gigging

libertino

I need a bass amp to use on stage that's small in size as I have limited space in transport and storage.
[list]
[*]What specs should I be looking for? (I don't want to end up with something only suitable for home use, which is my fear. I need something small but with enough power.)
[*]Any particular brands/amps you'd recommend?
[/list]

I've kept my questions to the point as I'm sure this isn't the most new and interesting topic for most :) I'm a fairly novice bass player and not a tech head at all, but my band is playing mid-size gigs and small festivals so I need something half decent.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Thanks for the quick responses, basschat is always reliable :)

Roland Cube looks good, certainly is small.

Yes to PA support.

Looking to spend £200-400, a second hand bargain if I can find one.

The smaller the better because physical space is at a premium in both transport and storage.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1350588411' post='1841023']
The Redsub from gear4music looks good discussed elsewhere on the forum. £335 new loud and tiny!
[/quote]
Or the Harley Benton version.

Edit: Scrub that. I've just checked Thomann and it seems it's no longer stocked.

Edited by Musky

Sell your soul, children, wife and other non-essential items for one of these. You will soon forget who they were when you hear the tone to end all tones from this little beauty - rendering all other amplifiers pointless.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/aer-amp-one-bass-guitar-amp-combo--54921"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/aer-amp-one-bass-guitar-amp-combo--54921[/url]

Edited by The Dark Lord

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I'm being swayed towards the 'cube' amps, the size of these certainly takes precedence over 'smallish' amps (but thank you for those suggestions too).
[list]
[*]Roland Cube - Is 120W the most powerful? Is that enough?
[*]RedSub BT5110 500W - This would be perfect if it's not too good to be true.
[*]AER Amp One 200W - I think I'd be spoiling myself spending that much.
[/list]

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1350603720' post='1841256']
Sell your soul, children, wife and other non-essential items for one of these. You will soon forget who there were when you hear the tone to end all tones from this little beauty - rendering all other amplifiers pointless.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/aer-amp-one-bass-guitar-amp-combo--54921"]http://www.dv247.com...mp-combo--54921[/url]
[/quote]

A single ten and 200W...really? Which is it; small, loud or deep?

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1350635455' post='1841413']
[/quote]

Some AER owners will tell you it's all three.

I've never heard one, but I can't wait to hear the laws of physics being broken. :)

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1350635661' post='1841416']
Some AER owners will tell you it's all three.

I've never heard one, but I can't wait to hear the laws of physics being broken. :)
[/quote]

Likewise! I'm not dismissing it without hearing it, and can believe it sounds fantastic at low volumes but would it be enough for gigging with drums and guitar without PA support?

[quote name='libertino' timestamp='1350634244' post='1841399']
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I'm being swayed towards the 'cube' amps, the size of these certainly takes precedence over 'smallish' amps (but thank you for those suggestions too).[list]
[*]Roland Cube - Is 120W the most powerful? Is that enough?
[*]RedSub BT5110 500W - This would be perfect if it's not too good to be true.
[*]AER Amp One 200W - I think I'd be spoiling myself spending that much.
[/list]
[/quote]

Remember that the RedSub is "only" 250W in the combo because of the 8 ohm speaker, if you want the 500W you have to plug in an 8 ohm extension cab or take the head out and use it with a 4 ohm cab (or pair of 8 ohm cabs).

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1350636253' post='1841431']

Likewise! I'm not dismissing it without hearing it, and can believe it sounds fantastic at low volumes but would it be enough for gigging with drums and guitar without PA support?
[/quote]

I bought one this year and I've gigged with it a couple of times; it is of course pretty amazing especially for its size. My gigs have been acoustic, without a loud rock drummer and egotistic lead guitarist and tbh I think it may struggle in that kind of environment.

As for breaking the laws of physics, I first heard that in the 1980s when friends and colleagues bought Bose HiFi systems and I now own one or two myself. The AER Bass One is very similar - it offers a unique package in a small size. I do agree that there is often no substitute for size, but for small to middle venues it can really fill a room and most if not all the other musicians I've played with have been impressed if not astonished. The house bassist at one venue has since put it on his wish list!

[/quote]

It's all three! I've playied one and amazed me. Only dowsides are that it's a tad heavy and too expensive!
The one i've played was fitted with a tweeter and that made a huge improvement in sound definition (just so you can have an idea of the amount of low end pumped out of this amp). Simply wonderfull but if i ever come to owning one i'll add the tweeter for sure.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1350636253' post='1841431']
[/quote]

playing at quiet volume, then maybe...but that is where it would stop.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1350636905' post='1841451']
Remember that the RedSub is "only" 250W in the combo because of the 8 ohm speaker, if you want the 500W you have to plug in an 8 ohm extension cab or take the head out and use it with a 4 ohm cab (or pair of 8 ohm cabs).
[/quote]

Thanks! I hadn't looked far into it but you've helpfully pointed that out before I do. Much appreciated.

[/quote]

Oh yes. Of course, I am an aggressive pick player ......... I play pub gigs with it. EVERY drummer who has heard it can't believe it. AND it has INCREDIBLE tone.

I'm gonna get a second one for bigger gigs.

Go on. Spoil yourself. You are only here once. Make yourself happy.

No compromise.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1350673952' post='1842253']

Oh yes. Of course, I am an aggressive pick player ......... I play pub gigs with it. EVERY drummer who has heard it can't believe it. AND it has INCREDIBLE tone.

I'm gonna get a second one for bigger gigs.

Go on. Spoil yourself. You are only here once. Make yourself happy.

No compromise.
[/quote]

How does the AER compare to your Rebelhead with a single RS112?

The AER really is an excellent performer - whether it's enough for gigs depends on what type of gig! But I've been at plenty as a punter where the AER was the only source for bass guitar and it has done the job and IMO sounded good to boot. It doesn't defy physics but I think it's well designed and contains a fair amount of electronics to make optimal use of the power/volume available.

If you think how much 'punchier' and subjectively louder recorded music can sound through a given PA system than a live band, then it's clear there's a lot of potential - if you like the tonal changes that come with it, that's another matter (eg I don't like the TC heads much).