Why become a member? ×

How Much Does Your MM SR5 or Classic 5 Weigh

Rumple

I have a slightly abused trans teal SR5 that has a fantastic looking neck and weighs a reasonable 9.4lbs, considering I've had a couple of solid coloured one's in the past that have weighed 10.5lbs I thought that it was light for a SR5 BUT it a burst of trading on here recently I've acquired a natural one that is sub 9lbs! surely they don't come any lighter?

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1350606745' post='1841283']
Sub 9 lbs is indeed rare in a SR5. PM me if you ever want to sell that one!
[/quote]

I had no intention of keeping it as I love the maple neck and the look of my heavier teal one, not sure what to do now, if they were Fender's I'd just swap the necks over but I have the feeling that would knock value off of both of them as it's not something people do with MM basses, hmmm.....

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1350632836' post='1841377']
My 2011 HS SR5 is incredibly light. I'm guessing 9lbs at the most....
[/quote]

Interesting as the extra pick-up must add a little weight, what colour is yours? maybe it's just coincidence but the solid coloured ones I've owned have all been heavier then the trans or natural ones.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1350633562' post='1841390']

Interesting as the extra pick-up must add a little weight, what colour is yours? maybe it's just coincidence but the solid coloured ones I've owned have all been heavier then the trans or natural ones.
[/quote]

This one is white, rosewood board, tort guard.

It is a total stunner!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1350634010' post='1841398']
This one is white, rosewood board, tort guard.

It is a total stunner!
[/quote]

There goes my theory then :D

It certainly sounds like a keeper, I like the HS idea a lot.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1350632855' post='1841378']
I had no intention of keeping it as I love the maple neck and the look of my heavier teal one, not sure what to do now, if they were Fender's I'd just swap the necks over but I have the feeling that would knock value off of both of them as it's not something people do with MM basses, hmmm.....
[/quote]

You're right. Keep them original!

[quote name='JD1' timestamp='1350733893' post='1842804']
My Classic 5 was a weighty beast - probably due to the lack of any body contouring. Sounded great tho!
[/quote]

Mine is the heaviest bass I own and for that reason I'll probably move it on at some point, I've also decided I'm not keen on the gloss neck.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1350735053' post='1842821']
I've also decided I'm not keen on the gloss neck.
[/quote]

It was the lack of a gloss finish on the neck of my SR5 that was another reason I got rid of it.
I know they're very popular but I hate oil/wax finishes more than anything.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1350736257' post='1842844']
It was the lack of a gloss finish on the neck of my SR5 that was another reason I got rid of it.
I know they're very popular but I hate oil/wax finishes more than anything.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if they are oil/wax or just a matte finish rather then high gloss, anyone know?

I guess SR5's don't tick any boxes for you and I don't think you are alone in that opinion, personally I love 'em :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1350737676' post='1842862']
I'm not sure if they are oil/wax or just a matte finish rather then high gloss, anyone know?
[/quote]

The maintenance instructions for them say the necks should be regularly treated with gunstock oil so I'm pretty sure it's not a matt or satin varnish.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1350752258' post='1843104']
The Classic series Rumple is talking about are gloss varnish to mimic the pre EB
[/quote]

The OP said "I'm not sure if they are oil/wax or just a matte finish rather then high gloss, anyone know?" & I was replying specifically to that

Edited by RhysP

Far too many EBMM basses are so heavy nowadays as to render them useless to all but Olympic weightlifters. If you get a light one keep it, because if a bass is too heavy, it will always be too heavy. You will never "get used to it" or indeed, be able to do anything about the fact that it is crippling you .

Regarding neck finish, I have really noticed how the oil/wax finish on the maple board of my Reflex sounds very different to a laquered board- much warmer and closer to rosewood. I think if the Classics had a oil/wax finish that they would never sound like the original Musicman Stingrays that all had heavily- laquered maple boards

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1350753502' post='1843132']
Regarding neck finish, I have really noticed how the oil/wax finish on the maple board of my Reflex sounds very different to a laquered board- much warmer and closer to rosewood. I think if the Classics had a oil/wax finish that they would never sound like the original Musicman Stingrays that all had heavily- laquered maple boards
[/quote]

I've also found that necks with oiled or waxed finishes (not just Musicman basses) seem to need a lot more truss rod tweaking than basses with heavily laquered or painted necks.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1350753946' post='1843138']
I've also found that necks with oiled or waxed finishes (not just Musicman basses) seem to need a lot more truss rod tweaking than basses with heavily laquered or painted necks.
[/quote]

They are probably more prone to changes in humidity: laquer will effectively seal the wood of the neck from the atmosphere.