Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Promethean P3110

Ghost_Bass

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1354701242' post='1889216']
You'll get a bit less bass response with it being elevated.
Perhaps if you tried it on the floor it might have had a little more weight?
Remember it won't put out the full wattage without an additional cab, having said that though, 150W at 8 Ohms, or whatever it puts into the single speaker, should still have been audible enough.

Eude
[/quote]

We tried it on the floor, on a table, on top of a cajon, in front of a wall, in a corner. Not loud enough anywhere. Perhaps I made the mistake of believing that you get 300W from the single speaker, which woulkd have been fine.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354701584' post='1889220']
Are you seriously trying to use a 110 in a band context?

I wouldn't even use a 210 on its own.

My minimum speaker configuration for band work would be 2 112's, 2 210's or a good 115.
[/quote]

Yes, I am (or was). I bought this for home use and for my band's acoustic set. At band rehearsal, we had two acoustic guitars (DI'd into the desk), a singer through the PA and me on bass - no percussion of any type at all. In my naivety, I thought the stated 300W would have been enough for that.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1354705029' post='1889275']
We tried it on the floor, on a table, on top of a cajon, in front of a wall, in a corner. Not loud enough anywhere. Perhaps I made the mistake of believing that you get 300W from the single speaker, which woulkd have been fine.
[/quote]

I have a friend who owns the original Promethean and plays a epiphone thunderbird through it. It's more than loud enough to compete with a full drumkit. From what you say the new promethean sounds more like a practice amp to me.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1354705343' post='1889280']
I have a friend who owns the original Promethean and plays a epiphone thunderbird through it. It's more than loud enough to compete with a full drumkit. From what you say the new promethean sounds more like a practice amp to me.
[/quote]

Sounds like you're right, if I remember correctly, the older model puts out 300W into the single speaker, arguably more than enough for most real world stuff within reason.
I have emailed Ibanez asking why they changed it, but they don't seem keen to reply...

Eude

Interesting thread on Talkbass where they seem to think that you get 300W from the combo alone, due to some coil switching, which I certainly don't understand. I read this before buying the combo, expecting to get 300W from it on its own.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/nad-ibanez-promethean-p3110-little-low-end-beast-933632/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/nad-ibanez-promethean-p3110-little-low-end-beast-933632/[/url]

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1354705343' post='1889280']

[/quote]

Yep - mine can handle a rehearsal or open mic with a drummer with fairly light touch.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1354705269' post='1889278']
Yes, I am (or was)....I thought the stated 300W would have been enough for that....
[/quote]

Nowhere does it say that an extension cab can be added so you must be putting the whole 300 watts into the 110.

With no hope of adding a second cab, that's the problem. A 110 in a small cab is just not big enough to do the job you want it to do.

A 112 in a large cab will sound great. In the duo I put 50 watts max (from my 600 watt amp) into my AE112 and it fills the room.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354710406' post='1889371']
Nowhere does it say that an extension cab can be added so you must be putting the whole 300 watts into the 110.

With no hope of adding a second cab, that's the problem. A 110 in a small cab is just not big enough to do the job you want it to do.

A 112 in a large cab will sound great. In the duo I put 50 watts max (from my 600 watt amp) into my AE112 and it fills the room.
[/quote]

It does have an external speaker jack socket, but I bought it to deliver the stated 300W on its own as described in the Talkbass message thread. Seems I was mistaken.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354710406' post='1889371']

[/quote]

Sorry this is getting confusing but the P3110 does have an extension out. The manual is fairly lacking but shows external speaker out minimum 8 ohm. It doesn't say if without the external it only runs at 150w, but I think that is so.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1354713653' post='1889438']
Sorry this is getting confusing but the P3110 does have an extension out. The manual is fairly lacking but shows external speaker out minimum 8 ohm. It doesn't say if without the external it only runs at 150w, but I think that is so.
[/quote]

That's the key point. I've emailed Ibanez.

Just an update.

I just changed my P3110 for a 5110 I found going used locally.
Imo they both have the same great tone :) but the 5110 is VERY much louder..the other thing I noticed is the the 5110 has a better sounding aux/headphone input, played through the speaker it's very noticeable as well.
More tweeter (very slight) hiss on the 5110 tho it's not bad and hopefully wouldn't be heard for recording, you can also if you listen very carefully hear the cooling fan going on and off with the mute engaged.

As I said I think you get the same kind of punchy tone from each but way more headroom with the 5110. The P3110 was the best small combo I'd personally ever heard, you just get more with the 5110.

I have stacked mine with a 112 and it's easily loud enough for anything I think I'll ever be doing. A bit overkill for home practice but I'll drag it out to play sometimes.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1355412068' post='1898091']
Just an update.

I just changed my P3110 for a 5110 I found going used locally.
Imo they both have the same great tone :) but the 5110 is VERY much louder..the other thing I noticed is the the 5110 has a better sounding aux/headphone input, played through the speaker it's very noticeable as well.
More tweeter (very slight) hiss on the 5110 tho it's not bad and hopefully wouldn't be heard for recording, you can also if you listen very carefully hear the cooling fan going on and off with the mute engaged.

As I said I think you get the same kind of punchy tone from each but way more headroom with the 5110. The P3110 was the best small combo I'd personally ever heard, you just get more with the 5110.

I have stacked mine with a 112 and it's easily loud enough for anything I think I'll ever be doing. A bit overkill for home practice but I'll drag it out to play sometimes.
[/quote]

Glad you managed to settle on this mate.
I have a very similar set up, Promethean 5110 and and EAD Foundation 112. It's plenty for most stuff, anything louder there'll be a PA anyway!
I really really like the headphone out sound too, it sounds fantastic with good headphones :)
Good work!

Eude

Hey solo, from my research you should be getting the full 300 w into the 1x10 speaker but that's a lot of oomph for a 10 so it'll probably fart out sooner than later but it should be able to handle your aco gigs with ease. I bet the prob is in the double 8 ohm wires shorting out somewhere, so try to hook up any other 8 ohm cab to check how the volume is as when you connect the speaker cable it effectively shorts one of the 8 ohm wires, leaving the internal speaker at 8 instead of 4 to enable the extra cab. If the volume or body doesn't get bigger, I'd say that's the prob area. Never trust Chinese soldering QC, I saw so many MIC bass heads & combos returned for faults when I worked in a big guitar store & the tech said as the bottom end vibration would rattle the shoddy solder points free, especially with the greater intensity involved with a sealed head combo like the 3110, unlike the Genz Benz design(US made anyway), the heads would fail due to 2c worth of solder; I'm staring you straight in your monocled eye, Behringer!! Hope this helps you with a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm new here but it's very cool to be talking with bass players across the pond :-)

I've been using Ibanez equipment for 30 years and they have never failed me yet. I know you've seen a couple bad reports here but there are a couple things to address.

The head does remove with 4 screws, and you can use it as a standalone head. You can also add an external cabinet as shown on the back.

I tried this unit out, and I don't know what the problem other users were having, but it was very loud and clean. Ibanez prides itself on making quality equipment, that's why it's nearly parallel in popularity to Fender. They have a great philosophy on giving the customer excellence for their money.

Please go out and try one for yourself. This could be a bedroom amp or if taken out of the combo, a head and two larger cabinets, or add a 15" cab under the combo, and boom loud volume!
I promise you won't be disappointed. I'm not!

Take care, be back again soon...... Cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...

It looks a touch cuter/neater than the 5110. Handle looks easier.
I'm moderately satisfied with my 5110 (apparently the last in the country), sound wise it's great but quality leaves something to be desired, shame it doesn't sound like much has been solved.
It hisses (though not noticeable when playing), when the fan kicks in it's rather loud one of the screws doesn't fit in (thread seems too small or something), and headphone output appears to bit a bit rubbish)

• 1 year later...

Old thread but... I bought one of the P3110's from here. From what I can gather the standalone combo is 300w. If an extension cab is added, it still runs at 300w. Something to do with the way the windings are done and I suppose as a result you dont need to hammer it as much.

You can detach the amp but it has no sides or bottom so all the gubbins hang out so forget using the head alone. As for rehearsing I suppose it depends on the room. Ours is about 18-20ft long and about 10ft wide. Painted walls and a laminate floor. Not ideal. On its own the 3110 is plenty loud enough in there banging out Clash songs.

I also have the Redsub bt5110 combo and an the Ibanez 110 extension cab made for the P5110. Last gig I was going to use the Redsub and the extension so it would run at 500w. Stupidly I only took jack to speakons instead of speakon to speakon so I had to use the P3110 combo instead (P3110 has a jack extension out). It was plenty loud enough with PA support. Granted it does not do what my Eden Metro combo and 4x10 extension did but it works fairly well. Another good point is my back is much better...

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1392199753' post='2365772']
I was looking at the P3110 on Thomann yesterday, they have a link to the manual and I read it as 160w or 300w with extension cab.
[/quote]

The quote is from Talkbass. I have found the wiring diagram somewhere too. If I find it I will post it...
"Nice thing about the P3110 is the internal speaker has two 8 ohm voice coils wired in parallel thus you have the full 300 watts with the internal speaker. When you plug in the external speaker one of the 8 ohm windings is disconnected. A very innovative feature and a great amp. I have the P3115 (same amp diff cabinet) and love it. Enjoy".

Edited by itsmedunc

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ibanez-p3110-kinda-cute-916552/"]http://www.talkbass....da-cute-916552/[/url] There's a bit more info here. Some conflicting. If its only 160w then its a loud 160w. I would think that its 300w but as it says in the article, when an extension is connected it splits into 2x150w.

• 3 years later...

I played through one of these at the weekend and was very impressed with the sound and volume it put out. The band was playing rock, and consisted of a keyboard player, a guitarist going through a 50 watt, Marshall valve combo and a loudish drummer.

I got up and played a few songs during the break, with my country band and the amp sounded nice close up and really full and deep out front (with the master only half way up) I even got a compliment from another musician, in the audience, on the sound of the bass.

The amp wasn't on the floor, it was sitting on a wide, window ledge at about hip height. So there wasn't any coupling effect with the floor to enhance the bass frequencies but I could feel the bass through the soles of my shoes.

I've also played through the original Promethean P5110 and I actually preferred the sound of the P3110.

Looking at some of the comments previously, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for this combo. But now, after hearing it in action, I'm seriously thinking about buying one.

Oh and by the way, the owner traveled to his gig by bus. That's how portable it is.

Go for it. Nothing better IMHO in the market in terms of combination of power (300W alone or with an extension cab), portability (24 lbs) at the price point it's at.

It doesn't have the most articulate 10" cab in the world and I always found that it cut through much better with a decent extension cab at band rehearsals; but hey you can pay a lot more than price of the 3110 combo just for a 1x10 quality cab, so fair enough: overall it's really good value.