Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Promethean P3110

Ghost_Bass

Hi, this is been discussed on another topic so this is to end that off-topic. Ibanez launched a new Promethean combo. The P3110, a combo with 10" speaker, [email="300W@4ohms"]300W@4ohms[/email] and a few mods to the first model. Here are some links:

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/model-P3110"]http://www.ibanez.co...ics/model-P3110[/url]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p3110.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...banez_p3110.htm[/url]

There have been some misleading information both on the website and on Thomann, hopefully we could get to the bottom of them all in this topic.

Here are some pics:

Fire away! ;)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

First thing to notice, after reading through the sites one can be lead to believe that the standalone combo is working at 300W @ 4ohms or even from a badly written paragraph on thomann one could be lead to think that it accepts a 4 ohm external cab. THIS IS NOT TRUE!

The amp runs 300W @ 4Ohms but the speaker in the combo only has 8ohms so you can add another cab aslong as it is a 8 ohm cab, it can be seen on the picture of the back of the combo posted above.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1350571850' post='1840706']
it looks fab, but the lack of a removable head kills it for me.

But then... if it's on a par with the 5110 (more reliable, even!) it'll be a hell of a combo for £300.
[/quote]

Even better/cheaper if we wait for the HB/RS clones! :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1350577615' post='1840822']
I wonder if removing the 4 screws at the top would allow it to tilt outwards & then be lifted up?
[/quote]

If that head was detachable then the cables for power, DI and ext cab would be linked on the top plate... a bit akward looking...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1350577845' post='1840829']
If that head was detachable then the cables for power, DI and ext cab would be linked on the top plate... a bit akward looking...
[/quote]

That is a very good point & one that I'd completely overlooked! :blush:

If you go to the Ibanez UK/European website they don't list a 1x10 cab like they do on the US. It would be a bit of a PITA if you couldn't get the matching ext cab to allow you to open up the amp fully.

But then again, neither do they list the Soundgear 400 as available in the UK, but I know you can get one, I've played one :)

• 2 weeks later...

I received my new P3110 from Thomann yesterday morning. It lasted 45 minutes before breaking. See: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185862-prometheanred-subharley-benton-5110-reliability/page__st__20"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185862-prometheanred-subharley-benton-5110-reliability/page__st__20[/url] starting at post number 35.

Can't quite believe it.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues: Thomann sent me a replacement. I played it at home for five days then took it to band rehearsal tonight. Two "acoustic" guitars di'd into the desk, one singer through the PA and me on bass. No drums at all. I was on max gain and max master volume, mids up, bass down on the EQ. I was only just keeping up with the band. When the drummer arrived, I didn't even bother with the Promethean - I used my B/F Compact/GK MB500 rig which I had in the car as a backup.

At home, I actually preferred the tone of my Eden E10 combo. More bass, and richer than the Promethean which was middy, punchy and barky to my ears. Careful room placement helped, but I was spending a lot of time finding the best place for it - something I never had to do with the Eden. My other half, unprompted, said she preferred the tone of the Eden - "sounds deeper", she said.

At band rehearsal, it was immediately apparent that I was going to struggle. I had the Promethean off the floor in a corner and was maxed out on gain, master volume and volume knob on the bass. The combo was clipping - no great surprise - and the bottom E string up to G# was causing the speaker to distort and flap. BEAD tuning would surely have been even worse. And this was with no drummer at all.

I'll return the Promethean to Thomann and ask for a full refund. Very disappointing.

Steve

That's a shame, my experience of similar usage, in my old band was great! The older version seriously kept up with everything without even being close to maxed out at rehearsals and small gigs. The new power section must be pretty crappy by comparison then, and by the sounds of it they must have cheapened the speaker and everything else too. There is a tendency towards a middy sound, but you can easily dial it out using the graphic EQ, I guess the new simpler preamp makes it harder to target the specific frequencies.

Ibanez were really on to something with the first lot of Promethean kit, I wonder why they turned this crappy corner :(

Eude

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1354699926' post='1889191']
I'm happy with mine so far, but then again I didn't get it to use with the band. imo it craps all over the Ampeg Ba115 I was using before as a practice amp.
[/quote]

Yes - I think it's plenty loud enough for home practice, maybe even for low-volume acoustic jamming. However, the 300W seemed to evaporate into thin air last night at band practice - and that was with no drummer, not even hand percussion. I dunno, maybe I was expecting too much.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1354700814' post='1889203']
Yes - I think it's plenty loud enough for home practice, maybe even for low-volume acoustic jamming. However, the 300W seemed to evaporate into thin air last night at band practice - and that was with no drummer, not even hand percussion. I dunno, maybe I was expecting too much.
[/quote]

You'll get a bit less bass response with it being elevated.
Perhaps if you tried it on the floor it might have had a little more weight?
Remember it won't put out the full wattage without an additional cab, having said that though, 150W at 8 Ohms, or whatever it puts into the single speaker, should still have been audible enough.

Eude

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1354700814' post='1889203']
[/quote]

Sorry to hear your not getting on with it.
It might well be under horse-powered for a 300w. Maybe with an external cab you'd have enough to play with the band, But then the portability bit is gone :(
I myself would of gone for older version if I could of found one new.
I have a feeling it will sound nice for recording and does the job for me.