Why become a member? ×

Guitarchat?

leftybassman392

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1384827516' post='2281282']

The replacement blog software (it wasn't part of the core software) has been chosen.
AFAIK there are no plans to restore the Wiki as it's minimal use didn't warrant keeping or maintaining it.
I have no idea what you mean by 'backlog'.
[/quote]

I am glad to see that there are plans to get the blog going again. Be it blog or wiki we need something to provide a home for less ephemeral items, thinking particularly of 51m0ns wisdom on compressors etc but there are loads of other examples.

By backlog I meant all the development jobs that have been put on hold due to lack of development resource, just like in agile software development.

Speaking as someone contributing to the upkeep of the forum, I would rather see improvement to Basschat than creation of Guitarchat, something in which I have little interest.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1384868888' post='2281615']
OK well the news I was going to share is that we DID have a developer lined up and poised to sign a contract but he pulled out literally at the last minute. This is turning into a f***ing joke but, personally I've stopped laughing. We've got interest from two more however and we're waiting to hear back on a price. Part of the problem appears to be that there's not enough work for them to be seriously interested.

So...in the meantime, we have talked about setting up a sub forum on here to at least get something kicked off. However, there is a caveat...

One of the features we'll install with the next Invision upgrade is a single sign in to Basschat, Guitarchat and Drumchat. What we don't know yet is whether the administration behind the scenes is done from a single location or from a location for each of the websites. It would make it kind of simpler if it was one, which would also mean that when we do get the other sites up we could transfer threads between forums.

BUT...

...we don't know that yet. So if we do set up a sub forum, there is a risk that we may not be able to transfer threads over to the other sites. That's no reason to not kick things off quietly though.

Its enough of a struggle right now to get the thing set up...baby steps first, Pete! I plan on consulting with the core of interested members on what they would like to see once we've achieved lift off. :)
[/quote]

You misunderstand me. I am not interested in even the baby steps of setting up guitar chat. I would prefer to see you concentrate on improving your core business.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1384895287' post='2282095']
You misunderstand me. I am not interested in even the baby steps of setting up guitar chat. I would prefer to see you concentrate on improving your core business.
[/quote]
Pete you'll also be aware that Basschat isn't a one person show...

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1384887829' post='2281943']
A general guitar forum is a non-starter. Good luck to anyone who tries that one.

Guitarists are far more polarised into make and genre.
[/quote]

Really?

As someone who is also a guitarist there are no guitar forums that cater to my tastes. A general one might be just the thing. I am a member of the Tokai forum, but because my interest is in their original Talbo designs rather then the copy guitars there is little to hold my attention there.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1384901889' post='2282244']
Really?

As someone who is also a guitarist there are no guitar forums that cater to my tastes. A general one might be just the thing. I am a member of the Tokai forum, but because my interest is in their original Talbo designs rather then the copy guitars there is little to hold my attention there.
[/quote]

I think so. There are already healthy Fender and Gibson forums around - so there's most of your guitarist right there. The mass guitar market is totally different from the niche that is bass playing.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1384903454' post='2282276']
I think so. There are already healthy Fender and Gibson forums around - so there's most of your guitarist right there. The mass guitar market is totally different from the niche that is bass playing.
[/quote]

I think the idea is to go for a niche in the mass guitar market, i.e. offer a forum that isn't dominated by pubescent numpties. :rolleyes: ;) :lol:

Awesome, so we'll kick something off and see how it goes. Of course there's always a chance that something untried will fail but that's no reason not to give it a go if members would be prepared to support it. So...lets see how it goes. :)

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1384903454' post='2282276']
[/quote]

But you only have to look at the number of posts about Fender Basses on here to see that the bass market is fairly similar if in fact even more focused on just one manufacturer, but there is still plenty of room for discussion about other types of bass.

The most mainstream guitar I own is a Yamaha "super-strat" so a guitar forum with the range of Basschat would be exactly what I am after.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1384939804' post='2282447']
... if members would be prepared to support it.
[/quote]

I have about as much interest in GuitarChat as Pete Young ... but I think you should do it anyway, if only for the probable very high entertainment potential.

It's a bit like watching a mass brawl between West Ham and Cardiff City while a po-faced commentator solemnly intones "[i]and no one likes to see this sort of thing[/i]".

Actually, yes we do. We like it a lot.

Given how opinionated some forumites are even here on nice-guy Basschat and when discussing basses, I think it will be hugely amusing to watch some of the handbags when those same people kick off about guitars ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384941456' post='2282471']
I think you should do it anyway, if only for the probable very high entertainment potential.
[/quote]
Sometimes I think this is half the reason ANY forum gets popular...but even if we do got a tribe of brand snobs attempting to dominate, I'd expect the other members to keep them in check and isolate them...or put them on ignore...either way, starve them of the oxygen that attention and recognition provides. And if those brand snobs made a deliberate choice to keep going despite knowing they were having an adverse impact on the experiences of other members...well, pard'ner, I'd reckon that would be a mighty fine time for the mods to step in an' open up a can o' whoop ass...

Yes sir...yes sireee.

So why don't y'all pull up a rockin' chair, hack yourself a plug o' chewin' baccy and stay a while...

I'm in! (But then you prolly knew that already... :rolleyes: ). For the record, although I have excellent examples of both Fender and Gibson guitars it won't bother me if we never talk about them. Let's just get this thing going!!! (Any chance of a Lefty subforum btw? :ph34r: . If not, well ho hum is all I have to say about that!)

Edited by leftybassman392

Just to mention that Guitarchat and drumchat will only work when we have upgraded and updated Basschat. Don't worry about funds being ring fenced - in actual fact opening the other two sites will be relatively simple compared to getting us in a position to clone the work we've already done on BC.

I'm guessing no-one here was a regular on Musicradar because it was neither polarised, a niche, or filled with kids. A few annoying gear sharks, but that's about it. Excellent marketplace.

It was really successful imo. I got just as much good advice and just as much good gear over there as I get here. (ie none you useless bastards lololols Just kidding you guys are ok)

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1384966850' post='2282925']
I'm guessing no-one here was a regular on Musicradar because it was neither polarised, a niche, or filled with kids. A few annoying gear sharks, but that's about it. Excellent marketplace.

It was really successful imo. I got just as much good advice and just as much good gear over there as I get here. (ie none you useless bastards lololols Just kidding you guys are ok)
[/quote]

I was on Musicradar---and I'm on its replacement [url="http://www.thefretboard.co.uk"]www.thefretboard.co.uk[/url] too. MR was a great forum but it did have more than its fair share of prats too (thankfully they kept most of their nonsense to the OT threads). Some of the behaviour over there would definitely not be welcome at a forum run by me, thats for sure.

But yes, on the whole it was a very good forum for guitar related chat.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1385418445' post='2288150']
Any particular reason why the guitars forum is not visible unless you are logged in but the other three groups are visible to the world?
[/quote]

Kiwi at the controls.

Debatable whether we'll all get out of this alive :blink: