Why become a member? ×

I hate introductions, but here goes...

Blackbird88

Hello everyone, my name is Rob and I'm an addict...of bass :D

I guess I don't quite qualify for that title yet, I've only been playing for 2 years. I bought an electric guitar a year before that, and spent a year of failing to really learn anything before realising I was better suited to bass. So I sold off the guitar, bought an Ibanez EDB550 from my Dad's workmate and haven't looked back since.

I still have that bass, plus an Ibanez SR400 and BTB775, and an Aria IGB-49 that I'm looking to strip and rebuild/upgrade soon, watch this space, I'm sure I'll be asking lots of noob questions when the time comes (it will be my first time, be gentle).

I'm in a pub rock covers band doing stuff like Stereophonics, Foo Fighters, a little Greenday, that kind of thing, and I'm amplified through a Hartke HA3500 with a 210XL cab for practice and when we eventually start gigging (by Xmas hopefully) I'll be using my 4.5XL cab as well.

I've been voyeuring here for a while using the boards for information, finally decided to take the plunge and sign up.

Cheers for all the welcomes guys.

@BassTractor: damn, knew I should've painted that ladder matt black

@Leen2112: Love my Ibanez's (Ibani?), just so easy to play. I strangely find myself wanting a Jazz bass at the moment though.

@MiltyG565: We are indeed, it'd be boring if we were all the same. I've heard similar sentiments from a friend who recently started playing guitar, though he was a bass player first. I think it might be deceptive though, the first stringed instrument you play is always the hardest, because at that point it's completely foreign, but when you start your second one some of the skills are transferable (e.g. fretting). That said, even on bass I still can't get the hang of chords, so I might just be defective :P

Hello Rob/Blackbird, welcome along. :)

[quote name='Blackbird88' timestamp='1350499687' post='1839804']
Hello everyone, my name is Rob and I'm an addict...of bass :D
[/quote]

...they say acknowlegment is the first step on the recovery from addiction don't they... sadly admission to basschat may well be the first step on the road to ruin for you... esp. the for sale section.... try to keep away... :P

Have fun!
Tk

[quote name='Blackbird88' timestamp='1350611230' post='1841296']

I strangely find myself wanting a Jazz bass at the moment though
[/quote]

That is EXACTLY what basschat does! My first bass was a crappy jazz rip, then i steered clear for a year, come onto bass chat BAM! back on the jazz wagon.