Why become a member? ×

Which Fender J do you prefer - '63, '64, '65, '71

molan

I've borrowed a couple of old Fenders to compare to my two and it's really interesting to play them back to back. Each has their own distinct sound & character & each feels slightly different to play.

I have my personal favourites, based more upon tone than looks, but thought I'd ask the BC 'massive' which one they thinks looks the most attractive. . .

Top line details are:

'63 Sea Foam Green - old refinish showing wear, amazing neck, great snappy tone, really good for more agressive rock or slap - my 'reference' vintage J

'64 Three Tone Sunburst - newer refinish, slightly faded 3TS, wider than standard frets, neck refin in gloss, bright and very full sound, goes deeper than the '63 but doesn't quite have the zing at the top end

'65 Lake Placid Blue - another old refin and this one has seem some serious wear, all those dings are genuine & not a fake relic job, neck is also a refin but nicely worn and has a great profile, darkest sounding of the bunch, would probably work really well with flats

'71 Cherry Sunburst - refinished a while ago and heavily modified, all hardware replaced but body, neck & pickups original, super thin neck re-profile with binding in natural maple and neck sanded smooth, really nice to play and the tightest, most focussed of the 4, relatively low output requires some bottom end boost to compete with the other 3

Should be able to add the Herbie Flowers Rep next week & can put my '78J in the ring as well.

I've really got the sound of each bass firmly established in my head now. So much so that I heard something earlier & decided to play along and immediately knew that the '64 was going to sound best.

I then tested each of them & I was right :)

The LPB '65 for me please. It looks the best, it's my YoB and based on your description, I'd like its sound too.

A kind man loaned me a '62 Jazz for a few months some years ago and I still miss it.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1350488285' post='1839595']
I've really got the sound of each bass firmly established in my head now. So much so that I heard something earlier & decided to play along and immediately knew that the '64 was going to sound best.
[/quote]

Forgive me for asking, but are you guys playing authentic 60s music on these - I could imagine the sound fitting a Beach Boys tribute or something, but NOT a Beatles one.

I like the 71 - lovely wood - not so sure about the metalwork though but it's your bass etc. Is that one ash and the others alder?

I also like the LPB.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1350493912' post='1839692']
Forgive me for asking, but are you guys playing authentic 60s music on these - I could imagine the sound fitting a Beach Boys tribute or something, but NOT a Beatles one.

I like the 71 - lovely wood - not so sure about the metalwork though but it's your bass etc. Is that one ash and the others alder?

I also like the LPB.
[/quote]

No 60's music here, the only one I've played on a lot is the '63 and that's mostly been rock/funk type stuff :)

Funnily enough I've never really thought about playing a particular bass for a style of music based on its age. Only time I can think of was for some Motown & Stax where an old '63P really nailed the core tone.

The '63 & '65 are mine and the hardware on the '71 wouldn't be my first choice (although I'm actually warming to it, lol). Not sure about the body wood but it does look like it's probably ash. Given the age it would have been a trans white / blonde I think.

It's the Ash body that's doing that tightness for you - I picked the '71 - I have ash in both my Strats :). HOWEVER I probably would have picked the '65 if it has a black/white/black pickguard and white pickup covers - that look is doing it for me massively atm not enough LPB going around B)

It's a really hard choice btw!! Again i'd prefer a black pickguard on the '63 but the '64 is in the classic colours and if I had to buy any for investment purposes it would be that one.

Edited by Schnozzalee