Why become a member? ×

The trouble with being a bass player....

Bilbo

I find it quite difficult to play bass anywhere, since either there's no bass player there -- which means, the musicians are crap -- or there's already another bass player there who'll play just fine all night!

Much easier if you pop in somewhere with an accordeon or a triangle I guess... well yeah I've taken on playing the squeeze box again...

That's an interesting point of view, and although I am somewhat new to bass playing I think I can understand where Bilbo is coming from. On the other hand, I do enjoy being part of a creative team. As most of you know I have done a fair bit of acting in the past and it is so frustrating when the other perfomers aren't up to scratch, or one dunce completely ruins the whole play. But on the other hand when you get a good team and it all comes together, nothing can beat it. And I love the rehearsals because you are out there putting something together with other human beings.

I'm enjoying that side of being in a band as well. I like the interaction with the other musicians both at rehearsals and performances. But we do have our differences and I can't see us really going places as they all have limitations on their time and commitment (which I don't since I don't have a life!! :lol: ). So far I've liked most of the stuff we play, but Guitar did mention the other week that he'd like to do 'Eye of the Tiger'. I think if he tries to do that I will have to shoot him. :yarr:

And one more thing...I know sometimes we might envy singer/songwriters who can just pitch up with a guitar and sit there and do their own thing. But really, from the point of view of the punters are they that enjoyable? Most of the time I find solo guitar/singers deathly boring and would rather see a flawed band than a competent but dull solo performer. The exceptions are quite rare I find.

IMHO and all that.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1350478703' post='1839409']
You're right. No one notices the bass player, until he's not there.

Getting yourself noticed as a bassplayer is either standing up front doing slapfest
[/quote]

yes

and

no :D - i disagree re the slapfest - i just play whats needed and rely on the fact that those who will be impressed with real simple accurate spot on groove playing are the ones i want to impress with a view to more potential work/gigs - as for the rest ... if theyre impressed its a bonus ... if not ... its their loss and i couldnt give a toss frankly :lol: